JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

The original post (not sure if it was yours, or if you were just responding) was that Griff is a good recruiter and was being "hamstrung" by Boeheim. His results in Dayton weren't any better than they are in Syracuse. That's my point.

G-5 schools like Memphis, UConn and Creighton all got Top 25 players last year. Oral Roberts got the guy ranked 29th. San Diego State got #32. UAB got #34. Wyoming got #38. And DAYTON got #43. LAST YEAR.

Shall I go on? St. John's got #49. St. Louis got #50 and Creighton got #51.

Providence #53, Liberty (!) #59, Creighton again at #60 (3 guys in the Top 60!), Detroit #62, Xavier #64, Xavier again at #70, Virginia Commonwealth at #72, Western Kentucky #74, Creighton again at #82 AND #83, Colorado State #86, Chattanooga (!) #88, Wyoming #92, Tulane #97 and Richmond with the last player of the Top 100.

So, are you still going to tell us with a straight face that you can't recruit a Top 100 kid to a school like Dayton? Dayton beat us in the NCAA Tournament when Griffin coached there under Archie Miller in 2014, with "no good players". How is that possible?

What are you talking about?! This is not a list of high school recruiting rankings!! This is a list of all the top 100 current players in college basketball going into the season.

Here’s ESPN’s rankings of top 100 recruits for 2022.There are exactly two true mid majors on this list (Dayton and VCU at 99 and 100, both A10 schools). You could throw in UCF and BYU if you want, but they’re both strong football playing schools that are headed to the Big 12 in a couple years, so they’re not mid majors by most metrics.

Are we putting people that actually could get the job? If so my list is below:

Red Autry: Currently on staff and will be getting the job.
Mike Hopkins: Former assistant who is about to lose his job. So no buyout.
G-Mac: Currently on staff and will get the job if the top 2 people say no.

CONTINUITY!!!

John Belein and Rick Pitino are both 70. See some steam picking up for Pitino but Belien is the same age.

John Belein and Rick Pitino are both 70. See some steam picking up for Pitino but Belien is the same age.

I wonder if the Belien thing would be a gateway for his son [who's currently the head coach at B-Ville] to get his foot back in the door and "rehab" his reputation.

Not suggesting in any way that Belien is realistic. But I could see that as a potential rationale for JB coming in to replace JB.

Yeah, Hop is going to be a no from me.

NCAA NET rankings:

1677507531938.png

My #1 realistic choice is Eric Musselman. 58 years old and making $4.3 million/year. Son of a legendary coach and he lives basketball. This would be Musselman's last coaching stop and he would win big in a less corrupt ACC. Musselman would have Cuse back in top 25 within 2 years.

I also really like Drake head coach Darian DeVries. He's an Iowa guy and only has midwest ties but if he got good assistant coaches with great east coast recruiting relationships...??? He can really coach. I'd guess DeVries is likely a future B1G head coach.

My #1 realistic choice is Eric Musselman. 58 years old and making $4.3 million/year. Son of a legendary coach and he lives basketball. This would be Musselman's last coaching stop and he would win big in a less corrupt ACC. Musselman would have Cuse back in top 25 within 2 years.

I also really like Drake head coach Darian DeVries. He's an Iowa guy and only has midwest ties but if he got good assistant coaches with great east coast recruiting relationships...??? He can really coach. I'd guess DeVries is likely a future B1G head coach.
Musselman would be a dream hire. Unfortunately, the SEC is the place to be right now.

I’d welcome Hop back as a strong #2. He’s not a great HC. But I do think it’s tough to win at UW.
I would absolutely love having Hop back. BUT he has been really bad at Washington. Romar atleast had several years of being ranked and making the tourney. Hop has one of the worst offenses and rebounding teams in the NCAA.

He has not given me any amount of confidence to think he would do a good job here.

I would still love to have him back. He’s an ultimate good guy and I think creates a lot of excitement.

I would really like AD to seriously consider John Becker. Has been a proven winner. Runs a good clean program. Knows the coaches in the NEPSAC, knows the coaches on the East Coast. He has never finished a season lower than third in the conference. And that was 1 time in 11 seasons, every other year 1st or 2nd. This article is a few years old now but some decent names.

Last edited:
There is another way to look at this comparison to Louisville

What is our tolerance for pain for the good of the long term? We've been spoiled for way too long with the high floor. Only had the first losing season last year. Every other team, even the best ones, has laid the occasional egg

Could we handle a 10-20 record to right the ship in the long term? Personally I'm OK with that as long as there is a clear path. It will be excruciating to watch in real time though...

Alot would depend on the coaching hire. If the hire was a proven coach with experience running a P5 program and has had success in the past I imagine a 10-20 season would sit better as long as the recruiting started picking up. (portal and freshmen)

If the hire was internal or an unproven P5 program builder I imagine a 10-20 season would keep driving the nail into our program. Because they don't have a track record it would be hard for fans to see that it is going to get better because there is nothing to fall back on.

I would absolutely love having Hop back. BUT he has been really bad at Washington. Romar atleast had several years of being ranked and making the tourney. Hop has one of the worst offenses and rebounding teams in the NCAA.

He has not given me any amount of confidence to think he would do a good job here.

I would still love to have him back. He’s an ultimate good guy and I think creates a lot of excitement.

Why?

All of the reasons you list are massive red flags about his capabilities as a head coach.

Why?

All of the reasons you list are massive red flags about his capabilities as a head coach.

Honestly because I just like him. If we hired him I would be happy with it. He may do a lot better here. He may not. None of us know.
I’m not out advocating that we hire him. He’s not my top choice but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

I would really like AD to seriously consider John Becker. Has been a proven winner. Runs a good clean program. Knows the coaches in the NEPSAC, knows the coaches on the Wast Coast. He has never finished a season lower than third in the conference. And that was 1 time in 11 seasons, every other year 1st or 2nd. This article is a few years old now but some decent names.
I’ve liked Becker as a JB replacement for a while. His teams play great defense. Not sure about how he can recruit nationally or even top recruits locally. But I do know that he is a great coach.

Or John Calipari?

Memphis is bankrolled by FedEx, they play in an NBA building. Comparing them to Dayton is goofy.

Each of those schools got a kid, likely a good reason why.

I just find this an odd hill to die on.

Fine, Memphis is a powerhouse.
Our recruiting still sucks.
Chattanooga got a top 100 kid a year or two ago. So did a bunch of no-name schools.
Our last one was Benny, who has been probably one of our least successful top 100 players to date.

Out of the choices listed my vote goes to Sean Miller. He can coach and recruit, and now that his tactics are legal... he's the man. I'm of the opinion that we need a fresh approach to get this program back to relevance. More of the same from Gmac or Red (even if their intention is to coach differently than JB) will not move the needle.

Fine, Memphis is a powerhouse.
Our recruiting still sucks.
Chattanooga got a top 100 kid a year or two ago. So did a bunch of no-name schools.
Our last one was Benny, who has been probably one of our least successful top 100 players to date.

I agree with our recruiting.

Didn't look back but I think this thread had something to do with Griff at Akron.

I highly doubt that Sean Miller is going to leave Arizona if that's where he is right now which I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be but I like the guy from Providence!

I have to look up his name but they have had another great year when the Big East is probably the best it's been in a probably a good five years with the addition of Yukon, Creighton is supposed to be very good. Villanova just keeps on doing their thing and then you have Providence who is21 and something and they're 20th in the country

"one of the worst ... rebounding teams ...". He plays the zone; there is a connection.