JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

I know you used to cover recruiting, but your argument against Griff is bizarre. Dayton has been below Cincinnati and Memphis in the pecking order for a long long time. Below Gonzaga for 25 years. And below Creighton and Butler since the advent of the NBE.

The original post (not sure if it was yours, or if you were just responding) was that Griff is a good recruiter and was being "hamstrung" by Boeheim. His results in Dayton weren't any better than they are in Syracuse. That's my point.

G-5 schools like Memphis, UConn and Creighton all got Top 25 players last year. Oral Roberts got the guy ranked 29th. San Diego State got #32. UAB got #34. Wyoming got #38. And DAYTON got #43. LAST YEAR.

Shall I go on? St. John's got #49. St. Louis got #50 and Creighton got #51.

Providence #53, Liberty (!) #59, Creighton again at #60 (3 guys in the Top 60!), Detroit #62, Xavier #64, Xavier again at #70, Virginia Commonwealth at #72, Western Kentucky #74, Creighton again at #82 AND #83, Colorado State #86, Chattanooga (!) #88, Wyoming #92, Tulane #97 and Richmond with the last player of the Top 100.

So, are you still going to tell us with a straight face that you can't recruit a Top 100 kid to a school like Dayton? Dayton beat us in the NCAA Tournament when Griffin coached there under Archie Miller in 2014, with "no good players". How is that possible?

The original post (not sure if it was yours, or if you were just responding) was that Griff is a good recruiter and was being "hamstrung" by Boeheim. His results in Dayton weren't any better than they are in Syracuse. That's my point.

G-5 schools like Memphis, UConn and Creighton all got Top 25 players last year. Oral Roberts got the guy ranked 29th. San Diego State got #32. UAB got #34. Wyoming got #38. And DAYTON got #43. LAST YEAR.

Shall I go on? St. John's got #49. St. Louis got #50 and Creighton got #51.

Providence #53, Liberty (!) #59, Creighton again at #60 (3 guys in the Top 60!), Detroit #62, Xavier #64, Xavier again at #70, Virginia Commonwealth at #72, Western Kentucky #74, Creighton again at #82 AND #83, Colorado State #86, Chattanooga (!) #88, Wyoming #92, Tulane #97 and Richmond with the last player of the Top 100.

So, are you still going to tell us with a straight face that you can't recruit a Top 100 kid to a school like Dayton? Dayton beat us in the NCAA Tournament when Griffin coached there under Archie Miller in 2014, with "no good players". How is that possible?

You mostly named Big East schools and Memphis is not a mid-major in hoop.

You mostly named Big East schools and Memphis is not a mid-major in hoop.

Memphis was a mid-major before Penny Hardaway arrived. Do you think they were a big time program under Josh Pattner or Tubby Smith?

And what about Oral Roberts, San Diego State, Western Kentucky, Liberty, Colorado State, VCU, Detroit, Wyoming, Chattanooga, Tulane and Richmond?

Are they ALL in the Big East now, too?

That's eleven other schools not named Memphis, or who are not in the Big East, who got more Top 100 recruits than we have in the last couple years.

There is another way to look at this comparison to Louisville

What is our tolerance for pain for the good of the long term? We've been spoiled for way too long with the high floor. Only had the first losing season last year. Every other team, even the best ones, has laid the occasional egg

Could we handle a 10-20 record to right the ship in the long term? Personally I'm OK with that as long as there is a clear path. It will be excruciating to watch in real time though...

What is our tolerance for pain for the good of the long term? We've been spoiled for way too long with the high floor. Only had the first losing season last year. Every other team, even the best ones, has laid the occasional egg

Could we handle a 10-20 record to right the ship in the long term? Personally I'm OK with that as long as there is a clear path. It will be excruciating to watch in real time though...

If Boeheim is here for 10-20, what is the clear path?
It HAS to be a new coach next year, or there IS no path forward. Just continued decline.

If Boeheim is here for 10-20, what is the clear path?
It HAS to be a new coach next year, or there IS no path forward. Just continued decline.
This was meant to apply to the next coach. There could be a bumpy transition period as we rebuild recruiting, system, etc.

Memphis was a mid-major before Penny Hardaway arrived. Do you think they were a big time program under Josh Pattner or Tubby Smith?

And what about Oral Roberts, San Diego State, Western Kentucky, Liberty, Colorado State, VCU, Detroit, Wyoming, Chattanooga, Tulane and Richmond?

Are they ALL in the Big East now, too?

That's eleven other schools not named Memphis, or who are not in the Big East, who got more Top 100 recruits than we have in the last couple years.

Or John Calipari?

Memphis is bankrolled by FedEx, they play in an NBA building. Comparing them to Dayton is goofy.

Each of those schools got a kid, likely a good reason why.

I just find this an odd hill to die on.

Or John Calipari?

Memphis is bankrolled by FedEx, they play in an NBA building. Comparing them to Dayton is goofy.

The "odd hill" is with respect to anyone who thinks this current staff is suddenly going to blossom into something that none of them have shown us yet, just because Boeheim agrees to leave. If anything, they will do worse than they have so far.

This was meant to apply to the next coach. There could be a bumpy transition period as we rebuild recruiting, system, etc.

Absolutely. Any new coach will need a couple years to recruit and coach kids into a new way of playing.

It's not a comparison to Louisville. They've bottomed out. They may give Kenny Payne another shot because it's going to be a very hard sell. It's hard to be that bad.

For those that are connected has there been any rumblings behind the scenes? I know Jimmy’s retirement has been a hot topic among the board for a while but it certainly feels like the tide has changed. I’m wondering if that’s just among the diehards or if ADJW and others are starting to feel the same?

SU connections:
Pitino
Hart
Autry
Hopkins
Griff/GMac

Non - SU connections:

Wright
Smart
Cooley
Langel
Sean Miller
Wes Miller
Cheryl Miller
Reggie Miller
Mike Miller
CuseRunner(Miller Hi-Life)
1677262761626.jpeg

The "odd hill" is with respect to anyone who thinks this current staff is suddenly going to blossom into something that none of them have shown us yet, just because Boeheim agrees to leave. If anything, they will do worse than they have so far.

I'll just agree to disagree and carry on :)

Was Jim Boeheim the best choice?

At the time, and given our budget and current status as a program, "yes", the hire made a lot of sense. He brought in two terrific recruits right away for his first class - Louie and Bouie, and he was off to the races.

Certainly a good hire - at a time when we paid about $20,000 a year for the job. So, John Wooden wasn't coming here.

We played in a place with a dirt floor, that smelled like the circus had come to town the week before. There was a freaking net to catch players from falling off the floor.

So, yeah, the former walk-on was right in our price range, given where the program was at the time.

Wasn't he inherriting a team that had made the F4 the year prior? I mean, it was also almost 50 years ago, but the circumstances are pretty different.
You’ve gotta be kidding me. Jimmy Lee and Rudy Hackett were gone from a total Cinderella team. You make it sound like he was Scheyer taking over for Coach K‘s roster. Bouie and Orr were Boeheim’s recruits……you do know that don’t you?

Or John Calipari?

I guess some people missed that Kansas Memphis title game in 2008.

Absolutely. Any new coach will need a couple years to recruit and coach kids into a new way of playing.
No, I disagree. A good coach can come in and play MTM and the team will be immediately better on D.

No, I disagree. A good coach can come in and play MTM and the team will be immediately better on D.
I think Bell and Williams would go on a hunger strike if required to play M2M.

Makes sense but you still need new blood. So if they are close friends Griff becomes AHC in this scenario? Then bring 2 others in?
Yes. Red should bring in an experienced older guy with head coaching experience and then a Mike Mennenga-type of top flight recruiter with great northeast/mid Atlantic connections. Griff would stay, imo. (I’m not necessarily advocating for Red to get the job, btw.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom