JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

The Dome.
The ACC.
A winning program will draw the most fans in the country.
Fans all up and down the East Coast.
Great merchandise sales for a private school.
Makes about the most money of any college basketball program, or certainly Top 5.
Ok, now do Louisville.

Ok, now do Louisville.

Great facility, too.

And they hired a guy who's never been a head coach before, but who was a hero as a freshman on one of their championship teams.

And their current record is 4-23.

He's pretty much GMac, but at least he had a cup of coffee in the NBA, at the end of the bench for the Sixers for 4 years.

If you want to hire GMac, that's our future.

Great facility, too.

And they hired a guy who's never been a head coach before, but who was a hero as a freshman on one of their championship teams.

He's pretty much GMac, but at least he had a cup of coffee in the NBA, at the end of the bench for the Sixers for 4 years.

GMac does have a national title at Cuse.

GMac does have a national title at Cuse.

Yes, and we will probably also go 4-23 next year, too, if we hire him as our next coach.

Ben McCollum

I’m going to email ADJW his coaching page everyday until we have a new coach
I’m not saying he doesn’t have a great resume. If this was football, I would say yes. Take a shot at this guy that has unbelievable results because we are not a top program. Those are the type of risks you take.

For basketball, I dont think you hire someone from D2 to come and take over a top 10, possibly top 15 job in all of America. I would want to see him jump to D1 and have success before offering him this job. Highly doubtful since he played college ball there and has coached there since 2012 I believe, but I doubt he makes much money in D2. Offer a big chunk of change to be lead assistant? Easier to get hired to a D1 program as a lead assistant at Syracuse than D2 school. 11 years without a sniff at D1.

Great facility, too.

Kenny Payne was a “rainmaker” on Kentucky’s staff for years, I believe. And an assistant coach in the NBA. Better coaching resume than GMac.

Kenny Payne was a “rainmaker” on Kentucky’s staff for years, I believe. And an assistant coach in the NBA. Better coaching resume than GMac.

But never a head coach. And boy do they suck.

Ben McCollum

I’m going to email ADJW his coaching page everyday until we have a new coach
1677212774542.jpeg

So, if Griff is such a great recruiter, who did he bring to Dayton to get us excited?

In his 6 years on the Dayton staff, they got 3 guys who were borderline 4 stars, ranked between 113 and 130, according to 24/7.

And they got 4 more guys who were 3 stars, with the highest ranked in the 130s, one of the others ranked in the 170s and the other 2 were in the mid-200s nationally.

Sorry, but nope. And it wasn't like he was the only guy on Archie Miller's staff. He's not responsible for them getting all 7 of those guys.
Griff was recruiting to a mid major! what do you expect? Also, I said zero about his recruiting at Dayton. My point was about how they played the pack-line man to man defense under Miller. So Griff has taught man to man for a program that was very good during his time there. That’s all. I was making the point that Red isn’t going to jettison Griff if Red gets the Cuse head coaching job. They are extremely close. That’s all.

Last edited:
Ok, now do Louisville.
Louisville made a possibly bad hire. They can win big with a good coach. They may be down for a few years, but either Payne will right the ship or they’ll find the right guy. The basketball finances at Louisville are on another planet because of the Yum Center deal. I believe they’re the highest revenue program in college basketball besides Duke. We’re up there too.

Louisville made a possibly bad hire. They can win big with a good coach. They may be down for a few years, but either Payne will right the ship or they’ll find the right guy. The basketball finances at Louisville are on another planet because of the Yum Center deal. I believe they’re the highest revenue program in college basketball besides Duke. We’re up there too.
Not making judgment on their hire, but I think it’s fair to say we’re comparable to them as a program, I’m assuming our Rolodex is quite similar to theirs.

Griff was recruiting to a mid major! what do you expect? Unbelievable. Also, I said zero about his recruiting at Dayton. My point was about how they played the pack-line man to man defense under Miller. So Griff has taught man to man for a program that was very good during his time there. That’s all. I was making the point that Red isn’t going to jettison Griff if Red gets the Cuse head coaching job. They are extremely close. That’s all.

Dayton is a quality program. No worse than Memphis, Cincinnati, Creighton, Butler, Gonzaga (historically speaking, not currently where Few has taken the team) and teams of that nature.
In six or seven years, they didn't get a single Top 100 player. Not one. They were able to do so before - and since - Griffin's time on the staff.

To be fair, dude is losing guys every year and still competitive, while coaching in probably the worst place to recruit in the country for a team that has no history, no facilities, and really no reason for anyone to go there. I go to a bunch of games there, you can see what he’s trying to do, his players play for him, just don’t have the talent. I think he’d do very well at a higher level job.

That said, I want a national search, if paulus was out next coach I wouldn’t hate it, would rather have that than Gmac.
Your last sentence……I have no words.

PS. If you want to be taken seriously on any Syracuse Basketball subject, you may want to change your handle.

Yes, and we will probably also go 4-23 next year, too, if we hire him as our next coach.
Exactly. Any team that promotes an assistant who won a National title as a freshman player there will have the exact same record. They are all EXACTLY the same. Great post…..spot on.

The Dome.
The ACC.
A winning program will draw the most fans in the country.
Fans all up and down the East Coast.
Great merchandise sales for a private school.
Makes about the most money of any college basketball program, or certainly Top 5.
Facts. a lot of people would love this job.

If JB stays another year, add Dennis Gates to the list. A bit of a long shot considering he’s at an SEC school, although Mizzou isn’t in the top tier of that conference. I could see Gates replacing Hamilton at FSU if we don’t strike first.
I like Gates a lot. He did wonders at Cleveland State and has Mizzou clicking pretty well in his first year.

Exactly. Any team that promotes an assistant who won a National title as a freshman player there will have the exact same record. They are all EXACTLY the same. Great post…..spot on.

Oh, so you think that the guy who has never been a head coach before is the BEST choice?

Great post. Spot on.

Dayton is a quality program. No worse than Memphis, Cincinnati, Creighton, Butler, Gonzaga (historically speaking, not currently where Few has taken the team) and teams of that nature.
In six or seven years, they didn't get a single Top 100 player. Not one. They were able to do so before - and since - Griffin's time on the staff.
I know you used to cover recruiting, but your argument against Griff is bizarre. Dayton has been below Cincinnati and Memphis in the pecking order for a long long time. Below Gonzaga for 25 years. And below Creighton and Butler since the advent of the NBE. None of those programs are mid majors. Mid majors like Dayton rarely get top 100 players—like 2 or 3 a year go to all mid majors. Dayton has the 100th rated player in 2022 and VCU has the 99th. That’s it. Dayton was and is a very good program and was good during Archie Miller’s time there. Are you arguing they weren’t good under Miller and didn’t recruit well? Not sure why you’re so intent on slagging off Griff’s recruiting prowess there and complaining that he wasn’t regularly able to land top 100 guys at Dayton. That doesn’t really happen often at mid majors.

Either way, the only point I was making originally is that Griff coached solely man to man defense for the years he was at Dayton and that I think he and Red would play some man to man if Red becomes HC. That’s all.

The

They beat Clemson. How bad are we?

We've won more than 4 games. So I'd say we're better than Louisville.
But that's what next year is looking like for us right now.