JB Obviously Counseled Ennis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB Obviously Counseled Ennis

Who cares about Tyler Ennis , he didn't bring any new bling to the trophy case. He doesn't go very deep in Orange blood at all.

Umm, I want him to do well in the NBA. It reflects well on SU for recruiting purposes.

What I don't get here, is most of you here profess to hate the NBA, don't watch it, yet become experts when it comes to predicting success for Syracuse kids that leave early. Flynn was drafted into a tough spot and had a lot of trouble staying healthy and personally I don't think a year will make that much difference as the NBA is willing to give at least 2-3 years for these younger guys. You can't argue with where he was drafted, right choice same with MCW and Waiters. Green is the only one that made a mistake, IMO. Waiters big year is next year but he has obviously shown flashes of brilliance, still needs maturity. My opinion only, but I think for the most part those that make it in the NBA will pretty much make it regardless of when they enter. Take Paul Harris, many were saying he was NBA ready out of 13th grade, he was 21 or something when he came to Syracuse, the fact is he was never making the NBA regardless. If he went out of high school, people would still be clamoring about how he should have went to college for 2 years!!! For what, so he could never be drafted??

Lets wait and see where Ennis goes and give him 2-3 years and see what happens. The issue is, he can play his way into being productive in the NBA, he will have time. Personally, I think all of these kids should leave if they are a top 10-12 pick. No questions asked

I rooted for Greene to do well - and I'll root for Ennis too. But one thing is certain: there has been only one-and-done to ever put on a Cuse uniform that is universally loved.

And it ain't Ennis.

I rooted for Greene to do well - and I'll root for Ennis too. But one thing is certain: there has been only one-and-done to ever put on a Cuse uniform that is universally loved.

And it ain't Ennis.
Because he got us the Big Bling. If Ennis played in the Ivy League or at Cal or Vanderbilt , no one would know of him , and yes there are players at those places who are as good.

2051-michigan-champions.jpg

To answer the original question, it says that reasonable people can disagree.

Other thoughts on this thread--yes there plenty of dumb GMs and scouts, in all sports. Time will tell on whether or not Ennis pans out. If he's getting feedback that he's a lottery pick, I for one can't fault him for leaving. His legacy at SU ultimately ends up being nothing special, but as a fan I carry no hard feelings and wish him well.

What I don't get here, is most of you here profess to hate the NBA, don't watch it, yet become experts when it comes to predicting success for Syracuse kids that leave early. Flynn was drafted into a tough spot and had a lot of trouble staying healthy and personally I don't think a year will make that much difference as the NBA is willing to give at least 2-3 years for these younger guys. You can't argue with where he was drafted, right choice same with MCW and Waiters. Green is the only one that made a mistake, IMO. Waiters big year is next year but he has obviously shown flashes of brilliance, still needs maturity. My opinion only, but I think for the most part those that make it in the NBA will pretty much make it regardless of when they enter. Take Paul Harris, many were saying he was NBA ready out of 13th grade, he was 21 or something when he came to Syracuse, the fact is he was never making the NBA regardless. If he went out of high school, people would still be clamoring about how he should have went to college for 2 years!!! For what, so he could never be drafted??

Lets wait and see where Ennis goes and give him 2-3 years and see what happens. The issue is, he can play his way into being productive in the NBA, he will have time. Personally, I think all of these kids should leave if they are a top 10-12 pick. No questions asked

Agree and wish I could like this a hundred times.

To expound on Flynn, not only was he hurt, he was being coached by Kurt Rambis. A guy who was benching Kevin Love in favor of Darko Milicic. Running a triangle offense, when his personnel suggested he'd better off running a heavy pick and roll offense. Not surprising that he was relegated to ESPN talking head for a few years -- tho I believe he's an assistant somewhere now.

What I'm saying is, an underrated aspect of NBA success or "making it" is determined by which team selects you. Some guys will excel anywhere, no doubt. But for most guys, being put in a position where you will receive consistent PT in a role that suits your skill-set. That's a big part of it. Everybody that 'busts' has serious talent, but there's a myriad of reasons those guys busts. And to second guess somebody for their decision to leave, especially when they were taken early lotto seems silly.

Because he got us the Big Bling. If Ennis played in the Ivy League or at Cal or Vanderbilt , no one would know of him , and yes there are players at those places who are as good.
Please. If a kid has NBA talent, someone eventually knows about him, no matter where he's playing.

Ennis and his dad could also have been pondering; do we want to play in this offense again with all of the bricklaying and limited offensive skill.

Last edited:
I think that Ennis is the type of player that the longer he plays and the more the scouts see him the less value they will place on what he does. If he believes he will be a first round selection in this year's draft, I can't fault him for going because I honestly don't think he will continue to be valued as a first round talent.

Don't get me wrong; I think he would have continued to improve and become a better college player each year he stayed, I'm just not convinced that he has an NBA skillset or NBA athleticism.
When Tyler has to participate in that NBA combine where they time you running the court and measure your vertical leap, and how fast you can dribble through and around the cones IMO his draft position is going to drop some. Still comfortably mid first round but it will drop. Last year MCW moved up when he performed well in those measurements. Larkin of Miami moved down.

Which is funny, because the purpose of a college is to provide a person with learning so that they can then leave and do something with their new knowledge.

poor jeremy lin. he has it so rough. ennis is supposed to risk never getting paid because of the awful fate of turning out like Lin?
Not what I was alluding to. I'm saying is there are many guards who can be plugged into Syracuse who will look better than they are because of a stable hall of fame coach , New York media coverage of a huge program that wins 25 games a year etc. I'm happy when someone can make money or find love or whatever is their goal.

Word is Toronto has made some type of promise to take Ennis in the first round. Hard to say no when you believe there are no risks involved.

Donte left with a similar guarantee that never materialized and jb warned him.

Feeling here is Toronto's offer seems to be more legit.

Word is Toronto has made some type of promise to take Ennis in the first round. Hard to say no when you believe there are no risks involved.

Donte left with a similar guarantee that never materialized and jb warned him.

Feeling here is Toronto's offer seems to be more legit.

Makes sense to me Jake but Toronto won't be in the lottery with their own pick because they are top 4 seed in the East. Do they have another teams pick?

Wonder why so many responded? I know you're a guy who can't stand anyone questioning JB.

Maybe you should pay attention to your own thread responses. As of now there have been 14 posts that do not show support of your "What's that say about their relationship?" comment and 29 posts that follow the hijack... There are zero, none, nada, nyet posts that seem to support your theory that there was some problem with the JB - TE relationship.

to stay another year, and he left anyway. What's that say about their relationship?

Part of the sell of coming to Syracuse is that JB, at the end of the season, is going to use his network and his own experience and give the kids/family an honest assessment. Whatever the kid/family choose to do with that assessment and advice is up to them. It's just one part of their decision making process.

And before anyone questions it, yes I do believe JB ALWAYS gives unbiased advice to the players/family without any agenda. It would absolutely KILL recruiting in the future if there was talk that JB was withholding information to try and keep a kid in school for his own benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom