JB on Hughes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Hughes

This praise is great and all, but what does he bring to the table that we didn't have last season?

Offensive playmaker - can make shots from 3 and mid range and can create for others

Unlike Moyer and Marek who last year you didn't have to respect outside of the paint (Marek was better in tournament play (ACC and NCAA) and that resulted in better results for the team)

This praise is great and all, but what does he bring to the table that we didn't have last season?

Versatility. He has a smoother handle than someone like Battle. He's pretty good at taking it to the rim and getting into the lane. Quality passer. Good shooter. Provides depth at two different positions.

We certainly didn't have anyone like him off of the bench last season.

Does Hughes start at the 3 and Brissett the 4 with Marek coming off the bench now?

I think that's quite possible. I'd like to see 30-30-20 at forward among Brissett, Hughes and Marek being the 20, since he's our third center, so long as Hughes shows us that he can rebound. Tyus has not been a guy who gets on the defensive boards.

I won’t deny this.
I will be shocked if Hughes shooting percentages are a lot better.
I am sure he could score if he had high volume.
He is going to be the 3rd option which is good for our offense but he won’t get the shots so his percentage better be a lot better than ECU.
I honestly see this as JB pumping this kid in the media because he likes him.
Which is fine but I prefer speak softly and let him surprise.
Battle is the guy who should be getting the hype and pumped up tires.
The Ct high school coaches rave about Hughes shooting ability. Time will tell.

I think that's quite possible. I'd like to see 30-30-20 at forward among Brissett, Hughes and Marek being the 20, since he's our third center, so long as Hughes shows us that he can rebound. Tyus has not been a guy who gets on the defensive boards.

I'd like to see Hughes used like Waiters was. Starter's minutes but off the bench. Let Marek start and then bring Hughes in against slightly fatigued starters or outclassed backups.

I'd like to see Hughes used like Waiters was. Starter's minutes but off the bench. Let Marek start and then bring Hughes in against slightly fatigued starters or outclassed backups.
This. Ya gotta figure JB's got something like this in mind...

I'd rather see the best players play the most. If Hughes is that good, it would be nice to see him on the court to stop doubleteaming of battle and oshae.

This isn't even comparable to the Waiters situation. We always had 5 very good players on the court, Marek was solid at the end of the year but if there's a legit player on the bench then he should be playing.

Versatility. He has a smoother handle than someone like Battle. He's pretty good at taking it to the rim and getting into the lane. Quality passer. Good shooter. Provides depth at two different positions.

We certainly didn't have anyone like him off of the bench last season.

Good post. To add to your list...size and strength. Having met all the players in person last year, Hughes stood out physically to me. He is not the prototypical long and lean, dental floss type build. He is "bigger" than Battle, and a more fluid athlete.

We need a 3rd forward more than we need a 4th guard (knowing that we have 1 extra of each). I think Hughes is more ready to play than Braswell, based on his year of experience in the system, and of course his physique. The guy is jacked.

I think that Carey is too good not to play meaningful minutes, so I would like to see Hughes at forward and Carey and Buddy as the back-up guards. I would not be surprised to find Howard Washington redshirting to facilitate his recovery, and to let some of the logjam at guard ease up.

I'd rather see the best players play the most. If Hughes is that good, it would be nice to see him on the court to stop doubleteaming of battle and oshae.

This isn't even comparable to the Waiters situation. We always had 5 very good players on the court, Marek was solid at the end of the year but if there's a legit player on the bench then he should be playing.

Agree with playing the best players the most minutes. JB has always done this.

It sounds like Hughes will be on that list. Even more so when you factor in that you have to score to win in the ACC. We won't know until we see them on the floor together, but if JB goes stretches with the 5 best offensive players on the floor - who can still play an effective zone - Battle, OB, Hughes are going to be 3 of the 5. Let the debate begin on who the next 2 will be. I can see Carey or Frank for 1 spot, and then Sid if fully healthy.

I’m a wait and see type of guy especially since Jimmy has been hyping up players the last few years.

He reminds me of Dave Johnson from the early 90's vintage Orange. Hope he is as good.

elijah.jpg

I am talking about iso ball and ball screens.
With little ball movement and individual players making plays.
For our offense to be better we need a post presence so they can spread the floor easily.
If we have no post offense it will be the same offense as last year but with more experienced personnel and more options on the bench which is good.
I think if Sidibe knee is good and we actually pass in the post, we could have a really good inside out game.

Wow imagine if he is our top offensive guy and the fallbacks are Battle Oshae and Carey. Who are they gonna guard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom