JB on Orange Nation | Syracusefan.com

JB on Orange Nation

SWC75

Bored Historian
It will probably show up here when they post it: ‎ESPN Syracuse on Apple Podcasts

My main takeaways:

- Bourama Sidibie "practiced some but then his knee swelled up again. He'll be on hold for a while".

- Arinze Onuaku had said in a previous interview that he was never asked to guard the corner when he was here. Jim said he changed his defense because these days teams "have better shooters, multiple shooters and better zone attacks. Generally the corner shot is a little harder. Having a more mobile center who can get over there does open up the inside more" but he still feels it's necessary to have the forwards guard the wing. he said that our defense in the front of the zone "hasn't been bad". he feels having all new or mostly new guys up front has bene the problem and expects the defense to improve as we go along. Jim said that we'd played some exceptionally good offensive teams and "they won't all be like that".

- He described several plays in detail, even saying that "we have photographic proof that" that Buddy never touched the guy and the first three point foul. he didn't acknowledge that on the second one, there was "minimal contact". I had hoped that when he had a chance to look at the film, he would back off of his criticism of benny Willaims on the foul shot but he didn't, repeating that he "didn't move and didn't jump, which is unbelievable". Looking that the highlight myself, I find it unbelievable that he would still say that. benny didn't jump but he did move into good boxing out position and Jackson-Davis went over him. You don't get a lot of sympathy from the coach when you're in the doghouse.

See 2:15:

he said that our defense in the front of the zone "hasn't been bad". he feels having all new or mostly new guys up front has bene the problem and expects the defense to improve as we go along. Jim said that we'd played some exceptionally good offensive teams and "they won't all be like that".
Who are the new guys up front?

If we are talking about "up front" aren't we talking about Joe and Buddy?

Think he means Jimmy and Cole and said up front because he was talking about the forwards having to push up leaving the corners for the center.

Think he means Jimmy and Cole and said up front because he was talking about the forwards having to push up leaving the corners for the center.
Both are terrible bumping down to cover low and the corner. Jr. Is constantly getting turned around and not aware of people behind him. Neither are remotely aware when a wing cuts back door for a lob dunk. They should get better, but athletically they are limited in what the can do. It helps if they stay focused and intense. They both fall asleep by not being aware of who’s around them.

Both are terrible bumping down to cover low and the corner. Jr. Is constantly getting turned around and not aware of people behind him. Neither are remotely aware when a wing cuts back door for a lob dunk. They should get better, but athletically they are limited in what the can do. It helps if they stay focused and intense. They both fall asleep by not being aware of who’s around them.
I’d only disagree that they absolutely are aware the lob is coming, they just don’t have the hops to stop it. Multiple times where jimmy jumps, he just can’t get to it

The front court in basketball is near the basket, ergo the front court players are F/Cs. I know, and I agree, I think it is a misnomer, because my mind goes to the center of the court as well when I hear front, but it is opposite. And that is where the zone inexperience is for sure.

his criticism of benny Willaims on the foul shot but he didn't, repeating that he "didn't move and didn't jump, which is unbelievable". Looking that the highlight myself, I find it unbelievable that he would still say that. benny didn't jump but he did move into good boxing out position and Jackson-Davis went over him. You don't get a lot of sympathy from the coach when you're in the doghouse.

See 2:15:

he was in box out position, yes. but he was flat footed, never left the floor, and waited for the ball to drop into his hands. welcome to the bigs Benny. no reason he can't learn how to get after the ball like a pogo stick.

Edit: None of that excuses JB from singling him out, that is unnecessary

he was in box out position, yes. but he was flat footed, never left the floor, and waited for the ball to drop into his hands. welcome to the bigs Benny. no reason he can't learn how to get after the ball like a pogo stick.

We already heard about Benny +/- when it’s terrible.
I don’t get how JB can rip on some guys publicly but won’t others.
It causes this crap.
Pull a Belichick and give the media nothing. The media isn’t even friendly to JB and he fills their notebooks/blogs.

We already heard about Benny +/- when it’s terrible.
I don’t get how JB can rip on some guys publicly but won’t others.
It causes this crap.
Pull a Belichick and give the media nothing. The media isn’t even friendly to JB and he fills their notebooks/blogs.
I don't even think he realizes he's doing it. just sitting around talking shop with some meatheads. The old dog will never learn

The guy has 40 pounds on Benny, minimum, and used his leg to basically lift Benny off the spot. Was a tough position for Benny to be in. Need a bigger guy on the floor for that specific instance.

The Forwards wouldn't HAVE TO "push up" - IF Buddy and Joe weren't both minus defenders with minus athleticism.

It's insanity to routinely expect a 7' dude who's camped out near the rim, to have to sprint to the corner to defend against a 3pt attempt - and in doing so, completely vacating protecting the rim area.

It completely and totally destroys the zone alignment, which almost always then ends with an opponent score of some sort.

Our Forwards were always tasked with the corners, which makes sense for guys who are already out on the wing, and traditionally have been anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9" and plus athletes who are long and have hops.

You sir are correct - I believe we have one transition basket this season - a steal and pass to Cole for a run out dunk - forget transition points - who would want those - dwarfs can shoot with confidence on Girard

I remember being at MSG around floor level and watching the lanes - it looked visually impossible to get a pass off with Southerland, MCW, Dion, Scoop, Fab, Triche, Keita, KJ and Fair - we would steal the ball and look like the showtime Lakers - we went from that to the opposing team's staff stating we are fielding YMCA players

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.
This is just such a spectacular point. I've been watching SU hoops for a bunch of years/decades now and there is one thing that I see consistently with freshmen big men. They are coming from a situation many times where they were far and away the most athletic and tallest guy on the court throughout HS and didn't have to 'effort' to get rebounds. Just jump and grab. I wonder how much time they actually spend doing box out drills like I remember from freshman year. We beat the snot out of each other, but dang, I'm not letting you get that rebound.

The Forwards wouldn't HAVE TO "push up" - IF Buddy and Joe weren't both minus defenders with minus athleticism.

It's insanity to routinely expect a 7' dude who's camped out near the rim, to have to sprint to the corner to defend against a 3pt attempt - and in doing so, completely vacating protecting the rim area.

It completely and totally destroys the zone alignment, which almost always then ends with an opponent score of some sort.

Our Forwards were always tasked with the corners, which makes sense for guys who are already out on the wing, and traditionally have been anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9" and plus athletes who are long and have hops.

Don’t agree on why the forwards push up. Like he said with teams having more shooters capable of hitting 3’a he want even more coverage around the perimeter. And he said the corner 3 is the least likely so that’s where he gambles with a 5 getting to the corners. Expecting 2 players on our zone to cover wing around to wing and 3-4 players is a tough go. It’s his philosophy and he’ll probably stick with it.

You sir are correct - I believe we have one transition basket this season - a steal and pass to Cole for a run out dunk - forget transition points - who would want those - dwarfs can shoot with confidence on Girard

I remember being at MSG around floor level and watching the lanes - it looked visually impossible to get a pass off with Southerland, MCW, Dion, Scoop, Fab, Triche, Keita, KJ and Fair - we would steal the ball and look like the showtime Lakers - we went from that to the opposing team's staff stating we are fielding YMCA players

We’ve scored 88 points in transition (fast break).

Don’t agree on why the forwards push up. Like he said with teams having more shooters capable of hitting 3’a he want even more coverage around the perimeter. And he said the corner 3 is the least likely so that’s where he gambles with a 5 getting to the corners. Expecting 2 players on our zone to cover wing around to wing and 3-4 players is a tough go. It’s his philosophy and he’ll probably stick with it.
I don't agree with his reasoning on the corner three. Yeah, you can't bank it, but it's also the shortest three in terms of distance, so it's actually easier to make if you practice just a little. Heck there are guys in the NBA who ONLY take that shot.

I don't agree with his reasoning on the corner three. Yeah, you can't bank it, but it's also the shortest three in terms of distance, so it's actually easier to make if you practice just a little. Heck there are guys in the NBA who ONLY take that shot.

I’ve never seen any stats on it so I can’t agree or disagree. Just repeating what he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom