JB on Orange Nation | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Orange Nation

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.

Terrific post.

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.
LOL. Really? You shouldn’t need to tell a player that.

Actually coaches in todays environment really have to do this.

Have an interesting strory about a McDonalds All American occurance of this situation. A Coach was asking (what turned out be be a first Round Pick) to set a pick while they were drawing up what few plays would be there in the game. This player is now a superstar in the NBA (Joel Embid). He kept not following the request and blowing up the set play. After a while, Coach asked him why is be blowing up the play. Come to find out that in AAU Ball they do not teach how to set a pick.

There are a lot of things not being taught to the Supers in AAU for the fear they go somewhere else. This was back in 2013-2014. So yeah I believe our SU coaches have been telling freshman players a lot of things they need to do.

JB was obviously "pissed" that improper blocking out was used. Granted, Indiana player was good enough to make the play but you could see that even before the ball hit the rim we had a problem with that rebound. Its a fundamental play and freshmen now spend 1st year in college learning those fundamentals.

Yes, really. Rather than assume your freshman knows the nuances of the situation, why not make sure he is aware and then for added benefit psyche him up for it and prepare him for success?

Yes, really. Rather than assume your freshman knows the nuances of the situation, why not make sure he is aware and then for added benefit psyche him up for it and prepare him for success?
Sorry but I don't think you need to tell a player that getting a rebound is really important when you are up 2 with seconds left and also explain the concept of boxing out and jumping to get the rebound.

Well, it sure looked like Benny could have used a reminder.
Maybe he could have... but that does not bode well for Benny if he really did. Coach ain't going to fix that.

Last edited:
Maybe he could have... but that does not bode well for Benny if he really did. Coach ain't going to fix that.
Coach wont fix. Benny will fix. He is a good player. He will come around. He knows what to do and I'm sure he is listening.

Coach wont fix. Benny will fix. He is a good player. He will come around. He knows what to do and I'm sure he is listening.
I agree, Benny will figure it out. He is really good. He is pressing right now. Hopefully he gets plenty of playing time against Lehigh and Cornell and he gets some confidence back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom