JB on Orange Nation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Orange Nation

How do the teams with the 250 pound centers that muscle our guys out of the way cover the perimeter?
Simple. They’re not charging full speed like a gunner trying to tackle a punt returner.

I agree that the trap hasn't been all that successful yet this year, but we did get 18 steals against previously undefeated (6-0) Indiana, and we did get points off most of them.
Yes, but how many came from trapping them? I don't really remember, honestly, as I was swilling a lot of brew at the time. But, I would guess probably not more than one or two max.

Yes, but how many came from trapping them? I don't really remember, honestly, as I was swilling a lot of brew at the time. But, I would guess probably not more than one or two max.
Well, I was at the game swilling down Dome Coneys, and don't have a good recollection of how well we scored off the trap. My guess is that it wasn't many points, because most of the time we trapped it seemed like Indiana either called a time-out or a foul was called.

Most of our steals came off tipped passes and/or good anticipation by BB (5 steals), CS (3) and JG3 (2). JE was also credited with 5 steals, but I don't have a good recollection of how they happened.

The Forwards wouldn't HAVE TO "push up" - IF Buddy and Joe weren't both minus defenders with minus athleticism.

It's insanity to routinely expect a 7' dude who's camped out near the rim, to have to sprint to the corner to defend against a 3pt attempt - and in doing so, completely vacating protecting the rim area.

It completely and totally destroys the zone alignment, which almost always then ends with an opponent score of some sort.

Our Forwards were always tasked with the corners, which makes sense for guys who are already out on the wing, and traditionally have been anywhere from 6'6" to 6'9" and plus athletes who are long and have hops.
BINGO...somebody gets it.

JB says things. :rolleyes:
"in retrospect, we probably should have played straight up and not fouled in that situation. that's on me. 23 is a beast and we couldn't keep him off the boards all night, let alone in an end of game situation where the refs are not likely to make that call. have to give that kid credit - he made the play. i needed to switch our biggest guy to block out 23. that might not have made a difference. putting a freshman in that situation and then singling him out for my bad call...well that's on me too."

"in retrospect, we probably should have played straight up and not fouled in that situation. that's on me. 23 is a beast and we couldn't keep him off the boards all night, let alone in an end of game situation where the refs are not likely to make that call. have to give that kid credit - he made the play. i needed to switch our biggest guy to block out 23. that might not have made a difference. putting a freshman in that situation and then singling him out for my bad call...well that's on me too."
That would be refreshing

he said that our defense in the front of the zone "hasn't been bad". he feels having all new or mostly new guys up front has bene the problem and expects the defense to improve as we go along. Jim said that we'd played some exceptionally good offensive teams and "they won't all be like that".

I concur with JB - it's not bad at all. Nope. Certainly not bad. Front court is always letting the back court down. Been that way for at least three years now. In fact, rather upsetting how consistently the frontcourt lets the backcourt down defensively. :(

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.
It’s not the kids first time ever playing basketball lol He is bigger than frank, he came in as someone who could help rebound he just got beat off of the floor. He will learn from it.

VCU and ASU...ok.
VCU is #4 in KenPom defensive efficiency. They’re an elite defensive team. Auburn is also amongst the top 20 on offense and defense. Indiana’s defense is highly rated, too, but Jimmy Dykes pointed out that they don’t defend players who attack the lane as well as they should, and we def tried to take advantage of that. Colgate, on the other hand…there’s no excuses for that.

VCU is #4 in KenPom defensive efficiency. They’re an elite defensive team. Auburn is also amongst the top 20. Indiana’s defense is highly rated, too, but Jimmy Dykes pointed out that they don’t defend players who attack the lane as well as they should, and we def tried to take advantage of that. Colgate, on the other hand…there’s no excuses for that.
im not sure what this has to do with what I posted

The guy has 40 pounds on Benny, minimum, and used his leg to basically lift Benny off the spot. Was a tough position for Benny to be in. Need a bigger guy on the floor for that specific instance.
Yeah, I don't know if anyone on here has tried to jump while a bigger stronger guy is leaning on you. It doesn't go well.

It’s not the kids first time ever playing basketball lol He is bigger than frank, he came in as someone who could help rebound he just got beat off of the floor. He will learn from it.
I agree he will learn from it. He certainly has played before, however, he has never been in that situation. I don’t think it’s too much to expect for a coaching staff to prepare a young freshman going in to the game. Particularly in such a crucial situation.

Auburn and prob Indiana I’d qualify as an “exceptional offensive team”.

the idea Colgate is exceptional is preposterous. Niagara held them to 59.
Paulus as our next head coach!

VCU was exceptional on defense and we beat ASU. He's talking about Colgate, Auburn and Indiana.
VCU does play tough D and that will help them win games as it did against the Orange.
But Coach is talking offense.
They're nothing exceptional on that end.

Colgate has shooters.
If you let them shoot good shots as SU did they can beat you.
But giving up 100 points????!!!???
Who ever would have thought that possible?

Indiana is talented BUT their offense is turnover prone and that saved SU.
Many of their turnovers were largely unforced

All of this suggests that the Orange defense has A LOT of improving to do.

As for Auburn, they're just a really good team and a FInal Four possibility.

VCU does play tough D and that will help them win games as it did against the Orange.
But Coach is talking offense.
They're nothing exceptional on that end.

Colgate has shooters.
If you let them shoot good shots as SU did they can beat you.
But giving up 100 points????!!!???
Who ever would have thought that possible?

Indiana is talented BUT their offense is turnover prone and that saved SU.
Many of their turnovers were largely unforced

All of this suggests that the Orange defense has A LOT of improving to do.

As for Auburn, they're just a really good team and a FInal Four possibility.

We had 18 steals in that game.

It will probably show up here when they post it: ‎ESPN Syracuse on Apple Podcasts

My main takeaways:

- Bourama Sidibie "practiced some but then his knee swelled up again. He'll be on hold for a while".

- Arinze Onuaku had said in a previous interview that he was never asked to guard the corner when he was here. Jim said he changed his defense because these days teams "have better shooters, multiple shooters and better zone attacks. Generally the corner shot is a little harder. Having a more mobile center who can get over there does open up the inside more" but he still feels it's necessary to have the forwards guard the wing. he said that our defense in the front of the zone "hasn't been bad". he feels having all new or mostly new guys up front has bene the problem and expects the defense to improve as we go along. Jim said that we'd played some exceptionally good offensive teams and "they won't all be like that".

- He described several plays in detail, even saying that "we have photographic proof that" that Buddy never touched the guy and the first three point foul. he didn't acknowledge that on the second one, there was "minimal contact". I had hoped that when he had a chance to look at the film, he would back off of his criticism of benny Willaims on the foul shot but he didn't, repeating that he "didn't move and didn't jump, which is unbelievable". Looking that the highlight myself, I find it unbelievable that he would still say that. benny didn't jump but he did move into good boxing out position and Jackson-Davis went over him. You don't get a lot of sympathy from the coach when you're in the doghouse.

See 2:15:

I didn't feel like Jackson-Davis went over Benny so much as he used a forearm in his back to push him under the basket, and there was no foul call. Yes, Benny is young and he could be stronger.

But there are techniques and stances to establish a stronger base. Keep your feet wider apart, get a little deeper in a crouch. He didn't do that, and Jackson-Davis brushed him aside like lint off your collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom