JB on Orange Nation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on Orange Nation

I’ve never seen any stats on it so I can’t agree or disagree. Just repeating what he said.
And that's why my friend Rick, I was sure to say I was disagreeing with Jim and not you.

Don’t agree on why the forwards push up. Like he said with teams having more shooters capable of hitting 3’a he want even more coverage around the perimeter. And he said the corner 3 is the least likely so that’s where he gambles with a 5 getting to the corners. Expecting 2 players on our zone to cover wing around to wing and 3-4 players is a tough go. It’s his philosophy and he’ll probably stick with it.
The 2-3 zone is the defense where the center is camped under the basket the most. The days of a center not ever having to guard the paremeter are long over. Those who get mad at the two or three times a game our center has to cover the corner, must really hate man to man D, where the center has to guard the perimeter on almost every play due to ball screens and switching.

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.
TJD played like DC, kids a beast. He and Seabron from NC State are the most athletic guys I have seen so far

The 2-3 zone is the defense where the center is camped under the basket the most. The days of a center not ever having to guard the paremeter are long over. Those who get mad at the two or three times a game our center has to cover the corner, must really hate man to man D, where the center has to guard the perimeter on almost every play due to ball screens and switching.
Yeah, you've missed the point completely.

I don't care if a big man has to defend the three. Yes, it happens all the time in the NBA. But the difference is he's not expected to cover the inside at the same damned time. And won't get yelled at for giving up the offensive board while covering the corner.

Two or three times a game? You've watched our games this year?

The guy has 40 pounds on Benny, minimum, and used his leg to basically lift Benny off the spot. Was a tough position for Benny to be in. Need a bigger guy on the floor for that specific instance.
Benny's strength isn't his strength. He has none, particularly in his lower half. It's pretty hard to jump when the other guy has rooted you out of position. Asking a skinny freshman to block out a guy that physical in a situation where there's no way the ref would make a call doesn't make the basketball gods happy. We would have been better off with Jimmy, a grown man and strong, putting his posterior on the guy and push him away from the hoop. The best Benny could have done was tap it out. The look on his face when he's in there is like a 12-year old. JB putting it all on him doesn't help whatever confidence the kid may need. Give him some if he needs it to play better.

Last edited:
JB should hire you to talk to for him.
He wouldn’t be able to say this without getting upset at whomever is questioning him.

If you think Edwards was jumping out to the corner only two or three times then you are doing what JB does and say things.
I counted it multiple times in a row on Tuesday. Edwards had jump out and Jimmy Dykes rightfully said all Indiana had to do was put a shot up and their bigs down low had possession for offensive rebounds.

Part of a coach's job is to prepare the players. If the coaches took Benny aside and told him that "TJD is going to be behind you, he is taller than you, he is stronger than you and the only way they have a chance is if he gets that rebound. So, you better get your ass in to him before he is shoving you under the basket. Be prepared to be shoved like you're getting hit like a mack truck, because it's coming. You lock in to him and then jump straight up as high as you can. Make the officials make that call. If he wants to get to that ball, he is going to have to kill you." If they told him that or something similar and then he went out there and did what he did, then they can be angry. If they assumed a freshman knew what was coming, then I blame the coaches.

I personally think Boeheim is an excellent basketball coach - in game - for some reason he just hasnt gotten the players we wanted recently - now we're trying to win a race but we have the smallest engine

I personally think Boeheim is an excellent basketball coach - in game - for some reason he just hasnt gotten the players we wanted recently - now we're trying to win a race but we have the smallest engine
I have said this numerous times and believe it.
If JB had Coach K’s rosters since 2010 he has more than 1 NC that K has won.
JB knows how to use talent.
Issue has been we haven’t gotten that level of talent nor should we expect Duke level talent but if JB got talent he is excellent in game.

He is just stubborn and says stuff he shouldn’t because he is like me and a lot of people being thin skinned and sensitive to criticism.

JB should say less but he clearly doesn’t care to have a filter.

I don't agree with his reasoning on the corner three. Yeah, you can't bank it, but it's also the shortest three in terms of distance, so it's actually easier to make if you practice just a little. Heck there are guys in the NBA who ONLY take that shot.

Isn't the three-point line the same distance all the way around?

Yeah, you've missed the point completely.

I don't care if a big man has to defend the three. Yes, it happens all the time in the NBA. But the difference is he's not expected to cover the inside at the same damned time. And won't get yelled at for giving up the offensive board while covering the corner.

Two or three times a game? You've watched our games this year?

When the rotation calls for the center to run at the corner, JB does not expect him to also cover the inside and then get yelled at.

It is. In the NBA it isn’t.

College plays by international 3 point line. The 3 point line in college is 22 feet all around.

In the NBA it’s 23’9” and 22 in the corner.

Last edited:

How do the teams with the 250 pound centers that muscle our guys out of the way cover the perimeter?

No, I don't believe it is.

1638483482179.png

Think he means Jimmy and Cole and said up front because he was talking about the forwards having to push up leaving the corners for the center.
Ah...that makes more sense...thank you for clarifying.

The front court in basketball is near the basket, ergo the front court players are F/Cs. I know, and I agree, I think it is a misnomer, because my mind goes to the center of the court as well when I hear front, but it is opposite. And that is where the zone inexperience is for sure.
Thanks for clarifying.

I wasn't thinking "front court", I was thinking "front line" of the zone versus the "back line.

Thanks for clarifying.

I wasn't thinking "front court", I was thinking "front line" of the zone versus the "back line.
at least the back line has the experience excuse. What's our front line defenders excuse, lol

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems he used two terms to mean different things: "Front of the zone" (meaning guards) and "up front" (meaning C/F). That was confusing.

No, I don't believe it is.

View attachment 211370
even the original line was not the same all the way to the baseline, but the difference is a couple feet now in the corner. maybe they should go back to the old gyms where they were all different sizes and someone could make the width enough to have the same distance to the corner.. That would mess with some guys quite a bit visually

Watching on TV and before the free throw attempt, it appeared Swider attempted to either change positions with Benny or at least quickly remind him to box out. Did anyone else see something similar or was it an illusion?

even the original line was not the same all the way to the baseline, but the difference is a couple feet now in the corner. maybe they should go back to the old gyms where they were all different sizes and someone could make the width enough to have the same distance to the corner.. That would mess with some guys quite a bit visually
The odd thing is I can’t find a single reference that tells me what the actual distance is in those corners

You sir are correct - I believe we have one transition basket this season - a steal and pass to Cole for a run out dunk - forget transition points - who would want those - dwarfs can shoot with confidence on Girard

I remember being at MSG around floor level and watching the lanes - it looked visually impossible to get a pass off with Southerland, MCW, Dion, Scoop, Fab, Triche, Keita, KJ and Fair - we would steal the ball and look like the showtime Lakers - we went from that to the opposing team's staff stating we are fielding YMCA players

That is all so true. As I watch this team on D, one of the huge differences is that we don't get many steal and easy transition points. It used to happen all of the time when we had an opposing player trapped. Now, it's just as often a foul (on us) or a pass out of the trap. That USED to be so imposing with Orange players ultra athletic, quick, and reactive.

That is all so true. As I watch this team on D, one of the huge differences is that we don't get many steal and easy transition points. It used to happen all of the time when we had an opposing player trapped. Now, it's just as often a foul (on us) or a pass out of the trap. That USED to be so imposing with Orange players ultra athletic, quick, and reactive.
I agree that the trap hasn't been all that successful yet this year, but we did get 18 steals against previously undefeated (6-0) Indiana, and we did get points off most of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom