JB on St. John’s: “They’re going to be at worst a top-20 team this season" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on St. John’s: “They’re going to be at worst a top-20 team this season"

I think that might have been misleading. In the games that counted, I don't remember Hughes playing that much.

He was in a tough spot playing behind Stevie Thompson. He transferred before the end of the season even and didn’t play the last 11 games. He had Billy Owens coming in the following year and Thompson was returning. He saw the writing on the wall. Shame he passed away at such a young age in his 40s.

He was in a tough spot playing behind Stevie Thompson. He transferred before the end of the season even and didn’t play the last 11 games. He had Billy Owens coming in the following year and Thompson was returning. He saw the writing on the wall. Shame he passed away at such a young age in his 40s.
I actually didn't remember he passed. Sad.

And a couple of those players Hughes and Duncan got Rutgers into the dance for the first time since 1976.
It's too bad JB had such a short bench and attitude at that time.
Had they stayed he might have had a couple of championships early in his career.
Don’t think so. Duncan wasn’t going to start over Sherman Douglas. Even playing with Douglas in Duncan’s first year, Earl averaged over 18 minutes per game and played in all 35 games. However he didn’t want to come off the bench, he wanted to start - it wasn’t happening and shouldn’t have while Sherman was here. Winning a national championship wasn’t Earl’s goal or he would have stayed at SU where it was a real possibilityl

Keith made a good decision heading to Rutgers. He wasn’t playing over Coleman nor Stevie Thompson. The year after he left we were even adding Billy Owens. Sorry but he obviously wasn’t going to be happy playing continued limited minutes nor help us winning a Championship over the players ahead of him. Glad he had a very good career at Rutgers.

Duncan would have helped but not in the role he wanted. Sherman was better and our best pg to get us to a National championship.

All of those guys could end up sticking around and contributing until they're seniors and they still wouldn't be the best class ever. They could be very good class and not be the best ever. There are just too many classes with elite players that knock it down the list. You have to do better than the DC/Thompson class and that's a tall order.
I don’t see Westry, Hima, Williams, Cuffe sitting the bench and the new studs we are bringing in. Talent level is looking good

You know what's funny though... earlier in his career (actually not all that long ago) he used to be very careful about making predictions and talking about his team in that way. That's why when he did say something very encouraging, the fan base took notice. In his final years I think he started saying things (in part) to defend his coaching/recruiting/program. That's why I stopped listening or putting much stock into what came out of his mouth.
Yeah, he went from the Oracle to Adam Schein’s “Lock of the Night” at some point.

Trying to even remember - Duncan was behind Sherm. If he stayed he would’ve had both 1990 and 1991 to run point? If so, I’m curious why he left? Did he think Kenny Anderson was surely coming? Or had Anderson already decided on GT when he left? Would think the former? His doesn’t make much sense because he would’ve started at PG in 1990 and 1991. All we had was a freshman Michael Edwards in 1990.

Hughes probably saw Owens coming in and Thompson back for 89 as the forwards (with Johnson off the bench) and left?

In the very position rigid times of the 80s-90s that makes sense. In todays game, there’s room for all of them.

He would not have been eligible in 1991 unless he redshirted in 89 or 90. As a Prop 48 guy, he lost a year of eligibility.

I don’t see Westry, Hima, Williams, Cuffe sitting the bench and the new studs we are bringing in. Talent level is looking good
That doesn't really have anything to do with my comment, but I also think the talent level is looking good.

“At worst a top 20 team.”
And, best case scenario? “A top 20 team.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom