JB Presser | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

JB has a history of throwing the same couple of guys under the bus during his press conferences each season. Jesse has been the best overall player on this team this season and the most improved from last year. Benny might have the most potential out of any players on this team. The way he treats his players differently is a shame. It was bad enough before his sons played for the team but he has taken it to a new level. When Buddy is not hitting anything sit him for a few minutes. I have never seen JB even once get on Buddy or say anything negative about his game in the press conferences. He complains his team is tired but he doesn't sub in the second half so no wonder they are tired. It's no wonder why SU had two 5 stars commit and then decommit for next year. Look how much time Benny is getting. This coach can't relate to our players and is unwilling to change his set in stone game plans. This program went from a top 20 team with some number one rankings 10-12 years ago to a team we have to sweat through selection Sunday. I don't anticipate any sweating this year unless it's to make it to the NIT or not. Wake up AD this program needs a change and hopefully there will be a retirement at the end of this season but I doubt it.

Just listened to it a 2nd time and reread mccalister tweets. He misquoted JB twice and left out any context. JB can cause his own issues but the media shouldn’t be making it worse by lying.

Just listened to it a 2nd time and reread mccalister tweets. He misquoted JB twice and left out any context. JB can cause his own issues but the media shouldn’t be making it worse by lying.
Seems exhausting trying to figure out ways to defend him at this point.

Seems exhausting trying to figure out ways to defend him at this point.

Seems exhausting that people are pulling their hair out over two tweets that were lies, jumping all over them and acting like they were fact because they won’t listen to the presser themselves. Multiple posts have pointed out the tweets were wrong. I also said JB can cause his own issues so your post is funny.

My only counter would be that Symir knew what he was coming here to do.

I’d say we have no idea what Symir was told. Now we as fans knew that the two boeheims and Joe would never come off the court but kids being recruited don’t have that view.

In fairness to Joe, he’s playing the best right now and should be on the court. But getting Symir on the court with him and moving Buddy to the 3 and sitting Cole for 10/11 minutes might help, and you could also give Buddy a breather with the same lineup.

No matter what was said though, and what he knew coming in, things change when youre losing and guys in front of you are struggling.

I’d say we have no idea what Symir was told. Now we as fans knew that the two boeheims and Joe would never come off the court but kids being recruited don’t have that view.

In fairness to Joe, he’s playing the best right now and should be on the court. But getting Symir on the court with him and moving Buddy to the 3 and sitting Cole for 10/11 minutes might help, and you could also give Buddy a breather with the same lineup.

No matter what was said though, and what he knew coming in, things change when youre losing and guys in front of you are struggling.

NFW do we need Buddy at the 3.

Dude needs LESS minutes, not more.

JB’s biggest mistake (well - beyond playing his sons All The Minutes, even when they are struggling), is not selectively using the bench guys a little more.

And it shouldn’t be a hockey line shift, because all 3 of them struggle, since we only have 2 scorers on the floor then.

Sy & Joe backcourt for 3-4 mins each half, so Buddy isn’t “run down” during the minutes he gets.

Swap Benny in for 4-6 mins each half for one of Cole or Jimmy.
But with all the other starters on the floor.

Frank in for Jesse for 4-6 mins / half, and not just because of foul trouble or Jesse “forgetting how and where to play defense”.

We got great production in the first half from all 3 bench guys.
And enjoyed a 10 pt lead at halftime in large part due to their contributions.

…. So we then promptly gave them ZERO MINUTES in the 2nd half.

And lost the half, and the game.

Hmmm?
Might there be some sort of correlation there??

I’ll leave that to the HOF’er to decide.

If a coach were recruiting head to head against JB then all he'd have to do is show a series of highlights from JB's postgame pressers to the recruit. The combination of JB snarling at reporters and bashing his own players would have the kid signing on the dotted line in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
NFW do we need Buddy at the 3.

Dude needs LESS minutes, not more.

JB’s biggest mistake (well - beyond playing his sons All The Minutes, even when they are struggling), is not selectively using the bench guys a little more.

And it shouldn’t be a hockey line shift, because all 3 of them struggle, since we only have 2 scorers on the floor then.

Sy & Joe backcourt for 3-4 mins each half, so Buddy isn’t “run down” during the minutes he gets.

Swap Benny in for 4-6 mins each half for one of Cole or Jimmy.
But with all the other starters on the floor.

Frank in for Jesse for 4-6 mins / half, and not just because of foul trouble or Jesse “forgetting how and where to play defense”.

We got great production in the first half from all 3 bench guys.
And enjoyed a 10 pt lead at halftime in large part due to their contributions.

…. So we then promptly gave them ZERO MINUTES in the 2nd half.

And lost the half, and the game.

Hmmm?
Might there be some sort of correlation there??

I’ll leave that to the HOF’er to decide.

Understood what you’re saying about Buddy at then 3. Buts it’s either him or Cole if Symir and Joe are in the game together. I’ll roll the dice with Buddy over Cole as I’d rather have Buddy spotting up when Symir drives. Benny doesn’t bring anything to the table right now but yeah I’d work him in. I’m strictly talking playing Joe and Sy together though. I’d prolly roll Benny in at the 3 with Joe and Buddy in the backcourt.

I'm just tired of:
--the public shaming of individual team members not named Boeheim;
--never accepting the coach's responsibility for any part of a loss;
--failure to recognize that modern college offenses are built in such a way that any type of zone can be rendered ineffective;
--continuing to use players who show signs of exhaustion due to reluctance to construct or use a bench for extended periods;
--the inability to attract and recruit players needed for a competitive basketball program;
I'm not tired of Syracuse basketball. But after almost 50 years, I've had enough of Jim Boeheim.

he was really just talking about the first 4 minutes when he took jesse out and put frank in not the whole game

but he seemed a little sad tbh...

i think he genuinely thought this team would be really good and now he knows he was wrong and its gotta hurt a little to have these struggles with his 2 sons starting
Yes. Really low energy. Seems to have a lot of doubt in his mind.

it’s just not fair. I really can’t wrap my head around it. When you coach your kids (yes I am only 33 and do not have kids yet) you have to be HARDER on them then the rest of the team. You can’t even be the same to everyone. And he is the exact opposite. He never critiques anything they do wrong. And let’s them play through multiple errors when players in the past would have been sitting next to him immediately. I have never seen such a thing in my life. People joke that it’s like a pee wee team with the dad coaching just playing his kids all the time but it’s happening right in front of our faces.

I am not saying Buddy or Jimmy are bad players. I think Jimmy is a good player. Not someone that should be averaging 34 minutes a game. But I think he is a good player. Buddy I think is a tremendous shooter. A guy that should probably be playing 28-32 minutes a game not 38 minutes a game. But the fact we continue to see them make mistake after mistake on defense and not sit is maddening.

Edwards today gave up 2 corner 3’s to start the game (something we never asked our centers to do until recently) and he was yanked immediately. We all see how many easy threes, or penetration buddy gives up or the lack of rebounds jimmy comes down with and they play through it and then he only talks about everyone else’s lack of rebounds or defense. It’s disgusting really

Last edited:
it’s just not fair. I really can’t wrap my head around it. When you coach your kids (yes I am only 33 and do not have kids yet) you have to be HARDER on them then the rest of the team. You can’t even be the same to everyone. And he is the exact opposite. He never critiques anything they do wrong. And let’s them play through multiple errors when players in the past would have been sitting next to him immediately. I have never seen such a thing in my life. People joke that it’s like a pee wee team with the dad coaching just playing his kids all the time but it’s happening right in front of our faces.

I am not saying Buddy or Jimmy are bad players. I think Jimmy is a good player. Not someone that should be averaging 34 minutes a game. But I think he is a good player. Buddy I think is a tremendous shooter. A guy that should probably be playing 28-32 minutes a game not 38 minutes a game. But the fact we continue to see them make mistake after mistake on defense and not sit is maddening.

Edwards today gave up 2 corner 3’s to start the game (something we never asked our centers to do until recently) and he was yanked immediately. We all see how many easy threes, or penetration gives up or the lack of rebounds jimmy comes down with and they play through it and then he only talks about everyone else’s lack of rebounds or defense. It’s disgusting really

Maybe he doesn't want to get the same treatment from his wife?

It is what it is... If it doesn't go well on the court, this was always gonna be a difficult situation for him. This was known going in.

It is the situation he chose.

To be fair, the forwards are busy playing the top of the zone since Buddy's job is to just stand at the free throw line now.

They're in pretty much the same position, guarding against the 3 from the wing.

They always play high in Boeheim's 2-3, too, for at least the last 10 years.

Edwards today gave up 2 corner 3’s to start the game (something we never asked our centers to do until recently) and he was yanked immediately. We all see how many easy threes, or penetration gives up or the lack of rebounds jimmy comes down with and they play through it and then he only talks about everyone else’s lack of rebounds or defense. It’s disgusting really

To those who want to say this, that he favors his kids, you have to acknowledge that Jimmy has been better than Benny, and Symir has seemed at times like he wasn't good enough to play the role they have assigned to him. So, who else are we going to play?

All our options from last year (Braswell, Woody, Richmond) are gone. If we had those guys with this team, we'd be outstanding.

To those who want to say this, that he favors his kids, you have to acknowledge that Jimmy has been better than Benny, and Symir has seemed at times like he wasn't good enough to play the role they have assigned to him. So, who else are we going to play?

All our options from last year (Braswell, Woody, Richmond) are gone. If we had those guys with this team, we'd be outstanding.
Don't you think Symir warranted at least a few minutes in the 2H? With the departing players you referenced, don't you think they saw what was coming in terms of playing time etc and how it would be further complicated with another Boeheim in the mix?

Playing time decisions are always debatable even if most of us think that 37-38 minutes is a bad idea for just about anybody on this roster. One thing that shouldn't be debatable - ripping any of your players in a presser while praising your sons or giving them a free pass. Buddy had some hideous games last year and we never heard a word about it from JB. That aspect of his coaching is indefensible and downright disgusting.

Don't you think Symir warranted at least a few minutes in the 2H? With the departing players you referenced, don't you think they saw what was coming in terms of playing time etc and how it would be further complicated with another Boeheim in the mix?

Except the “departing players” departed before anyone else was brought in. Them departing is why we brought in others. Nice talking point though.

Except the “departing players” departed before anyone else was brought in. Them departing is why we brought in others. Nice talking point though.
I don’t have connections like some of you. But there were rumors starting in February that Jimmy was coming to Syracuse. I am not saying that is why people transferred. I think there is a boatload of reasons people transferred. But the writing seemed to be on the wall that jimmy was coming to Syracuse well before he announced anything.

The offense ran so well with symir out there in the first half. And Benny started to get a tiny bit of swagger going. Then...the second half they didn't see the floor. I don't get it. You can't tell me that Symir doesn't have the conditioning to play more than 5 minutes.

I'm just tired of:
--the public shaming of individual team members not named Boeheim;
--never accepting the coach's responsibility for any part of a loss;
--failure to recognize that modern college offenses are built in such a way that any type of zone can be rendered ineffective;
--continuing to use players who show signs of exhaustion due to reluctance to construct or use a bench for extended periods;
--the inability to attract and recruit players needed for a competitive basketball program;
I'm not tired of Syracuse basketball. But after almost 50 years, I've had enough of Jim Boeheim.
We went to the Sweet 16 last year.

Or so I’m told.

44cuse

Outstanding is a stretch. Better…for sure.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom