JB Presser | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

I think the best talent has rarely been at play for Cuse. Pearl, Owens, and a handful. We have created a decades long approach of overachieving with second tier talent and an occasional high school superstar. That is on our coach. That also means he has, to a degree, adapted to what is available and not exclusively recruited to a system. A handful of schools have the luxury of attracting top tier talent who also fit a system. Hindsight creates a distorted view of our historical recruiting. Kids are tough. They expect instant gratification and are surrounded by people who enable and reinforce their right to immediate play, success and reward. I would send my kid to grumpy grandpa in a heartbeat.

Getting top tier talent isn't a luxury that is bequeathed to select few programs without any effort.

It takes continued high tier success, facilities, great recruiting, coaching and system that players believe in, and yes, dollars.

I think the best talent has rarely been at play for Cuse. Pearl, Owens, and a handful. We have created a decades long approach of overachieving with second tier talent and an occasional high school superstar. That is on our coach. That also means he has, to a degree, adapted to what is available and not exclusively recruited to a system. A handful of schools have the luxury of attracting top tier talent who also fit a system. Hindsight creates a distorted view of our historical recruiting. Kids are tough. They expect instant gratification and are surrounded by people who enable and reinforce their right to immediate play, success and reward. I would send my kid to grumpy grandpa in a heartbeat.
I really don’t think you understand the realities of attracting talent in this day and age. Starting to feel like JB has the same issue.

We're not going to lose players because of the pressers. This one wasn't that bad. We will lose them because of the unequal treatment and the lack of playing the bench.
its all of it. i do not think for one minute that our coaches arrogant, public degrading of players goes unnoticed, and may be a negative recruiting ploy. why did two players decommit???? jb needs to keep his individual player critiques to practice. he thinks he is bigger than the game, and the fans. we are all stupid.

I agree on the three guard lineup. I think it makes us better defensively up top, and can Buddy rebound any worse than Jimmy at the 3? I don’t think so.

I’m not saying using it for long stretches, but give it a chance and you might get a jump start to your offense.

Sy, Joe, Buddy, Cole, Jessie.
You seriously think Cole would get the minutes over Jimmy?

New theory on why he doesn’t pick on his kids or swider - he really targets players he doesn’t think gave 100% effort either physically or mentally. Just like any father if the kid gives 100% you can’t fault them for not being physically better athlete. Only thing you can coach/parent is effort and making good choices - the effort is always there for these guys and he rips Benny and/or Jesse for not hustling or giving 100% effort. Girard does take defensive plays ‘off’ at times so you can poke holes in this but generally the B-bros / swider always give effort and he can’t criticize them for being a step slower then competition
I think it's hard to say Buddy maxes effort on loose balls or rebounds.

I really don’t think you understand the realities of attracting talent in this day and age. Starting to feel like JB has the same issue.
No offense but what you are implying here is that the poster, AND JB (with over 40 years coaching, and never a losing season) doesn't understand this process, yet you do. Do you understand how silly this sounds? This is not as simple as all the armchair D1 wanna-be coaches make it seem. It appears after 10 games JB has made some mistakes with player evaluation and roster construction, that is not the same as not understanding the realities of this process.

Where we are as a program is embarrassing. I don't think there is a person on this board who doesn't respect what Jim has done here. However, enough is enough, my gawd. Jim needs to move on before things REALLY get bad.
This is correct and it really bothers me. The Jim Boeheim apologists (for lack of a better word) swarm if you say that Jim has not done a good job with this program recently. I don't understand why someone can't say Jim has had an incredible career but also note that he is no longer what many on this board think/want him to be. It is painfully obvious that he is struggling, to put it mildly, with the current climate of kids, portal etc. I love that the retort is one of 2 things "you don't know as much as coach!!" or "what about the sweet sixteen runs?!?!". The day I judge anything on a 2-3 game sample, is the day I'll stop watching that sport.

No offense but what you are implying here is that the poster, AND JB (with over 40 years coaching, and never a losing season) doesn't understand this process, yet you do. Do you understand how silly this sounds? This is not as simple as all the armchair D1 wanna-be coaches make it seem. It appears after 10 games JB has made some mistakes with player evaluation and roster construction, that is not the same as not understanding the realities of this process.
That's exactly what it is lol. This is not a "one-off" roster construction issue. This has been festering for quite some time and now the issues are coming up for all to see. Jim is losing impact players and bringing in kids that aren't nearly of the same caliber. Losing guys like Richmond and Lands is just a small symptom of the bigger issues.

I think the disconnect that some are having here is these concerns we are seeing with athleticism of the roster, with the minutes, with bench, with the zone, etc...

These were all discussed. All offseason. So the idea that we are playing Monday morning qb on this couldn’t be further from reality.

i remember specific posts I made mocking the idea Symir would play 15-20 mins and was basically told I was wrong. well see where he ends up, but certainly looks like the under is gonna win.

JB wants to play a backcourt of Joe and Buddy and he wants them to play 38 minutes a game. He has for 3 years now. Why? I honestly don’t know. It doesn’t help his son any...so I literally don’t know. I don’t know if he got beat by some wacky 3 point shooting team and got obsessed with spacing or...I can speculate but it’s not worth it. i just know it doesn’t make sense. It hasn’t made sense. And the results we are seeing aren’t surprising.

They didn't play any last season, or do previous years not count when evaluating a program?
Last years team was pretty good. I don't like the trajectory any more than you do. I suspect JB is also aware. I would love a top 10 team, but that's most likely not in the cards this year.

Last years team was pretty good. I don't like the trajectory any more than you do. I suspect JB is also aware. I would love a top 10 team, but that's most likely not in the cards this year.
That's probably putting it mildly. This program has finished inside the top 25 once in the last 5 years and inside the top 10 once in the last 9 years. They haven't won a conference title (regular season or tourny) since 2011-2012. The 2-3 game sweet sixteen runs are all well and good, but this is a program that used to compete for 1 & 2 seeds, now they're praying to be on the right side of the bubble every selection Sunday.

That's probably putting it mildly. This program has finished inside the top 25 once in the last 5 years and inside the top 10 once in the last 9 years. They haven't won a conference title (regular season or tourny) since 2011-2012. The 2-3 game sweet sixteen runs are all well and good, but this is a program that used to compete for 1 & 2 seeds, now they're praying to be on the right side of the bubble every selection Sunday.
Do you think JB and JW are unaware of this?

I think the disconnect that some are having here is these concerns we are seeing with athleticism of the roster, with the minutes, with bench, with the zone, etc...

These were all discussed. All offseason. So the idea that we are playing Monday morning qb on this couldn’t be further from reality.

i remember specific posts I made mocking the idea Symir would play 15-20 mins and was basically told I was wrong. well see where he ends up, but certainly looks like the under is gonna win.

JB wants to play a backcourt of Joe and Buddy and he wants them to play 38 minutes a game. He has for 3 years now. Why? I honestly don’t know. It doesn’t help his son any...so I literally don’t know. I don’t know if he got beat by some wacky 3 point shooting team and got obsessed with spacing or...I can speculate but it’s not worth it. i just know it doesn’t make sense. It hasn’t made sense. And the results we are seeing aren’t surprising.
This sums it up perfectly

One of the best Warren Buffet quotes is "Praise publicly, criticize privately"

Let's just say that JB is no Warren Buffet. If he wants to use his pressers to criticize, he should criticize the entire team's performance, citing areas where they didn't not perform well. There's no reason to call out individuals like he does, while also failing to call out other individuals due to his bias. Major flaw with JB, imo. He'll never change, but the game has changed and these young players don't like to be called out as individuals in a presser, especially if JB doesn't dole it out equally (which he 100% doesn't).

Last edited:
Saddest part of Saturday was how predictable the 2nd half was. The lead would be lost by the first media TO, (although it did take G'town 6 minutes instead of 4), and there would be no subs unless forced by fouls.

These are types of posts that make the board unreadable and why I’m likely headed on the way out of here. Too
much re-writing of facts. You completely act like we didn’t contend for a title in 2013 when we went 30-10 and went to the FF. We finished ranked 3rd. And no we didn’t go
28-7 the following year.
There wasn't anything in that post talking about 2013. No conference champs (regular or tourney), no regular season rankings in the top-25. The last time SU was in the top-25 after December 10th was in 2014. Seven years ago.

All due respect, but you have some pretty scathing posts from last season that must have been memory holed.

There wasn't anything in that post talking about 2013. No conference champs (regular or tourney), no regular season rankings in the top-25. The last time SU was in the top-25 after December 10th was in 2014. Seven years ago.

All due respect, but you have some pretty scathing posts from last season that must have been memory holed.

It’s a chicken little shthead post. There’s zero need to exaggerate. And it happens here a lot. People think it makes them look intelligent when in reality it makes people look stupid.

So the only time people will be happy if we win a conference title? And I deleted my post so carry on. Not sure what it has to do with JB’s presser anyway.

Oh, they're aware but I don't think they have any clue how to fix it. Well, JW has his hands tied thanks to JAB's last contract.

Why? His last contract expires at the end of next season. There’s many directions JW could go.

Do you think JB and JW are unaware of this?
Honestly, I think JB is past the point of caring about top 25 rankings or conference titles. These days he seems content to put all his chips on winning 2 games in the middle of March, and calling the season a success.

No one can convince me he has the same fire and ambition to build a national title contender the way he did 10 years ago.

What da
What day and age was that the case for us?

Honestly, I think JB is past the point of caring about top 25 rankings or conference titles. These days he seems content to put all his chips on winning 2 games in the middle of March, and calling the season a success.

No one can convince me he has the same fire and ambition to build a national title contender the way he did 10 years ago.
I agree with this comment... Question is do we even get a shot in March at this rate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom