JB Presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

Raise your hand if you want to see bus, bj or patterson playing in this game saturday. My hand is down.
Raise your hand if you'd like to stop seeing our starters put up 30+ mins a game against opponents like BC.

Our players are either exhausted or need a fire lit under their a$$. Tonight was the spark, we'll see if this is really what they needed on Saturday.

Thank god we have BMK back.

Roberson and Gbinije need to see more playing time. I don't care if MG didn't produce tonight, Cooney playing 40 minutes was not the answer. I'm not blaming Cooney at all.

I think our starters are being overplayed.

Edit: I realize G's beginning to see more PT. I think Roberson and even Buss may be important down the line though. I don't know if BJ's quite ready.

We need all men on deck.

Agreed with those saying Rak was probably shocked to get the ball. He could have his man sealed, on the ground, defender in fetal position and Ennis will dribble it out or Fair will go Iso-Fair and turn it over/throw it off the backboard.

anglerman said:
How would you even know? You haven't seen those guys enough to make a judgement if they can play or not.

Yes i have and the better players play. This isnt cyo where everyone plays. I was waiting for this argument to get brought up tonight. Keita being hurt has hurt us more than anything

OttoinGrotto said:
On that note, we should ABSOLUTELY have a pack of Irish Spring on the bench for the guys to periodically sniff.

People under 30 right now are saying "What is this whack job talking about"?

Trueblue25 said:
Raise your hand if you'd like to stop seeing our starters put up 30+ mins a game against opponents like BC. Our players are either exhausted or need a fire lit under their a$$. Tonight was the spark, we'll see if this is really what they needed on Saturday. Thank god we have BMK back. Roberson and Gbinije need to see more playing time. I don't care if MG didn't produce tonight, Cooney playing 40 minutes was not the answer. I'm not blaming Cooney at all. I think our starters are being overplayed.

Bmk is not back. He played. 2 minutes tonight. If he was back he would have played 20. Silent g gave us nothing offensively and that is why he didnt play much.

Roberson is nowhere near ready and i have no problem with him not playing. He cant score points and we dont need him out there so we can play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

This isn't CYO, the best players play I agree.

But even the best players get tired, and eventually fatigued.

It gives JB a chance to tell him to stop trying to be Superman when he has 4 teammates. 7-23 tonight, played all 45 minutes.

Way off topic, but I love your avatar and it gave me a good laugh tonight. "Man getting hit in groin with football." Classic episode with some great lines, haven't seen it in years but one of my all time favorites.

Trueblue25 said:
This isn't CYO, the best players play I agree. But even the best players get tired, and eventually fatigued.

We dont have better players on the bench which is my point.

Bmk is not back. He played. 2 minutes tonight. If he was back he would have played 20. Silent g gave us nothing offensively and that is why he didnt play much.

Roberson is nowhere near ready and i have no problem with him not playing. He cant score points and we dont need him out there so we can play 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Well then we're in for a much longer February than we all anticipated. Depth is extremely important come March, maybe we're not quite as deep as we thought.

HakAttack said:
(Silently raises hand)[/QUOTE
Just youtube old irish spring commercials and you will get the joke

Raise your hand if you want to see bus, bj or patterson playing in this game saturday. My hand is down.
Can't do any worse on offense, that's for sure...

That's why you play them liberally tonight when we go up 13 so the starters are fresh for Saturday.
Genius move. We should have started them all and played them 30 minutes each and been even fresher. BC would have just folded I bet.

Genius move. We should have started them all and played them 30 minutes each and been even fresher. BC would have just folded I bet.

Yeah because that's what I said.

Oh Lord

By the way, worst that could have happened if we played some of the freshman was a loss. So glad that didn't happen- oh wait

Last edited:
JB was fine in presser but he was tough on Roc for sure. He stressed the obvious, we have to be better offensively.

that's nothing different. it seems he is always riding Rak for some reason or the other. he should get more touches in the paint. he shoots a high %, or gets fouled. that was bunny he should have made, but he missed it, not sure how singling out the kid in the presser helps anything?

Yeah because that's what I said.

Douche.

By the way, worst that could have happened if we played some of the freshman was a loss. So glad that didn't happen- oh wait
Just helping your line of thinking along. What I said was pure unadulterated sarcasm due to the inane post of yours.

Just exactly what does playing them "liberally " imply then? Oh wait, we might have won because we didn't win in the other 25 games where we didn't play them liberally. But, but, but we did win those games. A fact you seemed to have missed along the way.

So we should have done something entirely different after 25-0. Brilliant!

We dont have better players on the bench which is my point.

Couldn't you say that about most teams (i.e. the best players usually start)? Taken to an extreme, if the best strategy is to only play your best players, wouldn't most teams only play 5?

I view it more from a mental standpoint than physical. I think most of these guys have no problem with 35-40 minutes physically. That being said, there are times when even your best player will get mentally rattled, will play outside of the gameplan, will have a teaching moment, etc. Those are coaching moments that can make that player and thus your team better. A minute here or there of advice, coaching etc, surely would ultimately over a season offset or hopefully more than offset through improved play at the end of the year any impact from playing a bench player for a short period of time.

BC had guys out there tonight that would never be recruited by us. Are our bench players that much worse than the guys that just beat our starters? Said differently, isn't tonight exhibit A that on any given night you just never know what might happen if given a chance?

Roy attributed his teams turn around to a shorter bench. Louisville had the horses last year but they were older war horses. Our 3 sons are a year away. Ennis is that odd frosh that is mature beyond his years. BJ plays like Mookie, except that Mookie hit his shots. Patterson's is active but his activity is good and bad in equal amounts. Robeson, well maybe, but he lacks the handle to create his own shot.

A loss is a loss; playing our bench would not have hurt. I cannot argue with your point. However, that is in retrospect. Playing the odds, our best chance was with our best players.

Keita being hurt has hurt us more than anything

This confuses me. Exactly how does our offense get better (and that's really what needs to happen - the defense is actually fine) with Keita back?

This confuses me. Exactly how does our offense get better (and that's really what needs to happen - the defense is actually fine) with Keita back?

When one person explains this I will donate my one billion from HoustonCuse to that person. It makes as much sense as Obama is a fiscal conservative.

That's why you play them liberally tonight when we go up 13 so the starters are fresh for Saturday.

This loss had absolutely nothing to do with starters being tired. Nothing...we simply have not executed on offense well over the last 3-4 games. What makes anyone think we'd execute better if Roberson, or Patterson or anyone else played? Our best players played, played hard but missed defensive assignments, free throws and a couple bunnies. I hate to say its, but that happens sometimes. It blows to lose to crappy team like BC, but it's going to happen sometimes. I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bath water. We need to regroup, and focus on Duke...

JB was pretty hard on Rak for both overall performance and the opportunity he had to win the game at the end of regulation - he did not like the hook and felt he should've gone strong to the rim. I have to agree with him that this seems to have been the type of game he could've stepped up but did not.

or... pass the ball to Grant for the dunk.

or... pass the ball to Grant for the dunk.
I noticed taht too, but if Rak saw Grant there, that would have been incredible vision for a center. Rak knew he had about 3 seconds, so as soon as he got it he went up with it, I have no problem with that. I feel like Ennis probably saw Grant but went to Rak instead.

I'm not sure why JB has a problem with that shot; Rak's been making that at a decent clip all year and it went around and out. It's not like he took an 18 foot jumper with 4 seconds left. We didn't get the rolls last night that we usually get, which was part of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom