JB Presser | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

I dont see how the hook was a bad shot. He shot it with about 3 seconds left so it wasnt like he had all this time to make a move to the basket. Taking it too the rim wasnt an option with such little time left.

He got a god look. A look he has started to make. It was a good shot that just didnt go in. From my seat (and I had a perfect look from my seat) and it was right on the money and cant believe it didnt fall.

I had no problem with the shot.

I respectfully and completely disagree. 3 seconds is plenty of time, the perfect amount of time, for one power move, and potentially one fake.

A hook shot is a terrible selection in that scenario. You are rushed and heavily defended, you are not Kareem. You will not draw contact. So, you won't be fouled. You will not be in position for a tip. If you miss you're toast.

I disagree with JB on many things, but not on this.

He's played well on defense.

No sense in arguing, since we can't sit down here and break down film of the few times he's played this calendar year, but I noted early on that Roberson grasped the zone very well for a freshman and was able to defend with very little drop-off from when either other forward was in the game.

Look I wish he played more as well but I have no issue with the short bench. Right now we need scoring and he doesnt provide that. Plain and simple.

I respectfully and completely disagree. 3 seconds is plenty of time, the perfect amount of time, for one power move, and potentially one fake.

A hook shot is a terrible selection in that scenario. You are rushed and heavily defended, you are not Kareem. You will not draw contact. So, you won't be fouled. You will not be in position for a tip. If you miss you're toast.

I disagree with JB on many things, but not on this.

He was only 6-7 feet from the basket. It was a good look and one he probably knocks down 6 out of 10 times. Lets be honest the clock was running down and he got off a shot he thought he could make. Hell even 15 people near me yelled "shoot" when he caught it. If it went in we would all be praising him. If he tried to make a move and got stripped we would be chastising him for not shooting it.

We can agree to disagree.

Its no a matter of being ready to contribute. Its being behind 2 stud forwards which is why Roberson isnt playing. If you can tell me with a straight face (well internet face anyways) that you would feel comfortable taking 10 minutes away from both CJ and Grant and stick Roberson out there I wont believe you. Defense also matters and he doesnt have a clue right now. Thats why he isnt playing

10? How about 5? That is still 38 and 37 minutes for Fair and Grant.

More reason why dominating teams you are significantly better than is important- it gives opportunity for young guys to get in-game chances to learn the system/adjust. And Fair isn't by any means an all-conference defender.

More reason why dominating teams you are significantly better than is important- it gives opportunity for young guys to get in-game chances to learn the system/adjust. And Fair isn't by any means an all-conference defender.

The funny thing is that Roberson has been doing that all along. He's averaged 3.2 minutes/game in ACC play and 7.6 minutes/game for the season. He played 5 minutes against Duke, 13 against Clemson, 5 against ND, 5 against Miami, etc. People want to act like he hasn't played at all to suit their position that JB is infallible and LOL 25-1, why change anything?

Right now we need scoring.
Just saying, anything for a change of pace when it's quite obvious the status quo is struggling, as it was last night.

I hear ya. We need to just start scoring points. That solves everything. Its not going to change so no need to be arguing over it.

Right now we need scoring.

I hear ya. We need to just start scoring points. That solves everything. Its not going to change so no need to be arguing over it.

Agreed. Much more important than the substitution pattern, to me at least, is the lack of aggression from our PG. He needs to start attacking the rim, much, much more.

Agreed. Much more important than the substitution pattern, to me at least, is the lack of aggression from our PG. He needs to start attacking the rim, much, much more.

There's the rub.

He's tired. And that's got to do with the substitution pattern. The awkward shuffling of Gbinije to the 3 has hurt both guards.

Note that it's been awhile since we've had any "Best point guard in school history?" posts? Ennis hit a wall. Right now he's a perfectly adequate, good freshman point guard (who would have been an improvement at that position in 1990, 1997, 2008, and probably 2010).

But on this team, with a slim margin for error, that's not quite good enough right now. We needed him to be excellent to eke out a couple of those wins, and he's not excellent right now.

Hoping he gets his legs back soon.

There's the rub.

He's tired. And that's got to do with the substitution pattern. The awkward shuffling of Gbinije to the 3 has hurt both guards.

Note that it's been awhile since we've had any "Best point guard in school history?" posts? Ennis hit a wall. Right now he's a perfectly adequate, good freshman point guard (who would have been an improvement at that position in 1990, 1997, 2008, and probably 2010).

But on this team, with a slim margin for error, that's not quite good enough right now. We needed him to be excellent to eke out a couple of those wins, and he's not excellent right now.

Hoping he gets his legs back soon.

and so (and I'm being serious here) if we see this, what does JB see? either:
1) we're wrong and they are fresh
2) the subs are not good enough to play
3) JB doesn't have a clue
4) JB has no confidence in the subs
5) something else

and so (and I'm being serious here) if we see this, what does JB see? either:
1) we're wrong and they are fresh
2) the subs are not good enough to play
3) JB doesn't have a clue
4) JB has no confidence in the subs
5) something else

1) I'm most comfortable managing 7 players; and
2) Ennis > Gbinije. I want Ennis on the court for the maximum number of minutes.

Regarding not playing any of the freshman (besides obviously Ennis):

I don't even care about "suddenly recharging" our guys just from sitting them for a minute here or there. There are times throughout games where I believe it would be beneficial to get someone in there so that Boeheim can talk to guys like CJ and just give them a minute to relax and get some fluids. Even if it's just one possession to sort of slow him down and get him to realize "Ya know, maybe I should pass to open teammates that are in position to dunk the ball instead of going up over a double team." Even 35 seconds of a break can make a big difference.

I dont see how the hook was a bad shot. He shot it with about 3 seconds left so it wasnt like he had all this time to make a move to the basket. Taking it too the rim wasnt an option with such little time left.

He got a god look. A look he has started to make. It was a good shot that just didnt go in. From my seat (and I had a perfect look from my seat) and it was right on the money and cant believe it didnt fall.

I had no problem with the shot.
Not enough time? He was basically right under the basket. A move to the basket (i.e. a pump fake and up and under) would have taken all of 0.5 seconds. There was enough time for the ball to go all the way out of bounds on the sideline after his shot missed. I was surprised it didn't go in as well, but time was certainly not an issue. He also had plenty of time to pass it to the wide open Grant, but I'll give Rak the benefit on that one since he may not have know JG was there and all alone on the block.

Not enough time? He was basically right under the basket. A move to the basket (i.e. a pump fake and up and under) would have taken all of 0.5 seconds. There was enough time for the ball to go all the way out of bounds on the sideline after his shot missed. I was surprised it didn't go in as well, but time was certainly not an issue. He also had plenty of time to pass it to the wide open Grant, but I'll give Rak the benefit on that one since he may not have know JG was there and all alone on the block.

Maybe he didnt think there was enough time, I have no idea. Its easy to play MMQ after seeing the replay.

My point was its a shot he can and has made. Hell it was a 7 footer. It was a great look given how chaotic that play was developing into. Had he tried to pump fake and turned it over or charged or something bad we would be all over him for not shooting it.

Maybe he didnt think there was enough time, I have no idea. Its easy to play MMQ after seeing the replay.

My point was its a shot he can and has made. Hell it was a 7 footer. It was a great look given how chaotic that play was developing into. Had he tried to pump fake and turned it over or charged or something bad we would be all over him for not shooting it.
He's also made the pump fake slam dunk play several times this year.

Regardless if Rak makes that shot or the pass to Grant for the game-winning hoop, all of the posts I've made today, and most of the threads made since last night, still apply. It's just a lot easier to say "well, we got the win, so forget all that other stuff." We've been flirting with L's for far too long. Now that we've finally got one, it's time to re-focus.

I'll never quite get the people who claim it doesn't matter how you win, if you win. It absolutely does. Maybe it's not reflected in your record, but mentally? Absoutely. This is still February basketball. Squeaking through games now via sub-par basketball is a recipe for disaster when you are in the tournament and every team you face is also in the tournament, i.e. they are at least decent enough to get there.

I fully expect us to come out firing against Duke. Let's go!

Regarding not playing any of the freshman (besides obviously Ennis):

I don't even care about "suddenly recharging" our guys just from sitting them for a minute here or there. There are times throughout games where I believe it would be beneficial to get someone in there so that Boeheim can talk to guys like CJ and just give them a minute to relax and get some fluids. Even if it's just one possession to sort of slow him down and get him to realize "Ya know, maybe I should pass to open teammates that are in position to dunk the ball instead of going up over a double team." Even 35 seconds of a break can make a big difference.

Well said.
What boggles the mind is why JB doesn't do something like that.
... and regarding Baye, we did need Baye last night. Allows Rak to rest and adds energy to the team. Hope he plays Saturday.

The only reason why peope are even talking about it is because it didit go in. Had it gone in there wouldnt be one comment on how "bad" of a shot it was. Which it wasnt.
I didn't say it was a bad shot, but the move to the basket is the better shot. The higher % shot should always be the choice in that situation. The fact that he missed the lower % shot highlights that point.

Its no a matter of being ready to contribute. Its being behind 2 stud forwards which is why Roberson isnt playing. If you can tell me with a straight face (well internet face anyways) that you would feel comfortable taking 10 minutes away from both CJ and Grant and stick Roberson out there I wont believe you. Defense also matters and he doesnt have a clue right now. Thats why he isnt playing

Jabari Parker minutes during a five game stretch where he was struggling: 24 min vs ND in close loss, 21 min vs GT, 33 vs Clemson (loss), 26 vs Virginia (close game), 26 vs NCState. He'll probably be the #1 pick in the NBA. He is a stud forward who is better than our stud forwards yet guys not as good as he took minutes from him even in tight, close, win-able games. He was struggling. Coach K let him struggle from the bench and figure things out mentally as clearly he has the physical tools. It was beneficial. So says his statistics since.

It's a coaches job to get kids ready to play a role, to contribute. If Roberson - a highly rated recruit - isn't ready, don't blame the kid. I actually think he's played ok on defense in the limited action we've seen.

I didn't say it was a bad shot, but the move to the basket is the better shot. The higher % shot should always be the choice in that situation. The fact that he missed the lower % shot highlights that point.
bingo bango bongo.

Jabari Parker minutes during a five game stretch where he was struggling: 24 min vs ND in close loss, 21 min vs GT, 33 vs Clemson (loss), 26 vs Virginia (close game), 26 vs NCState. He'll probably be the #1 pick in the NBA. He is a stud forward who is better than our stud forwards yet guys not as good as he took minutes from him even in tight, close, win-able games. He was struggling. Coach K let him struggle from the bench and figure things out mentally as clearly he has the physical tools. It was beneficial. So says his statistics since.

It's a coaches job to get kids ready to play a role, to contribute. If Roberson - a highly rated recruit - isn't ready, don't blame the kid. I actually think he's played ok on defense in the limited action we've seen.

Big difference is they have guys that have experience that they can throw in. We dont

Excellent post. Post more.

Big difference is they have guys that have experience that they can throw in. We dont

You mean guys like Matt Jones, Marshall Plumlee and Semi Ojeleye - two freshman and a sophomore - who average a combined 5 pts/game, but played a combined 33 minutes in the win over Virginia, taking minutes from Jabari?

Roberson averaging more mins per game than two of those three on the season, and just less than the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom