JB's Presser after Tech | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Tech

John Gillon's the only reason we've won the games we've won?

Alright, yeah I disagree.
OMG. I cannot believe he said that. Certainly not my opinion of Gillon. Wonder how White feels about that comment?

"He's the best PG we've got by 10 miles. So it's not even a question I would think somebody that watches us play all the time would ask."

This is a good summary of the inflexibility I can't stand. The 2-3 is our best defense, so we will play it all the time unless we have to press out of desperation. Player X is our best Position Y so he will play unless he gets hurt or fouls out.

It's such a bizarre unwillingness to adapt to to the fact that a particular defense might not be the best defense at a particular junction in a game, or that a particular player might not be the best player on a given a night. This is our system, if it works we win, if not we lose, but we won't change the formula. So frustrating.
You could see 2 min in that Gillon was totally confused. Not sure why we didn't see more Battle/Frank

OMG. I cannot believe he said that. Certainly not my opinion of Gillon. Wonder how White feels about that comment?

Wonder how Battle and Thompson feel. They've had games where their timely efforts were invaluable. They're the real energy in this team and I hope they display it more consistently come the post season.

"Yeah I'm kicking myself for calling off the press there."

CrjdQIQXYAAWyVb.jpg

JB with the Steve Gorgan look tonight.

So close to stealing a couple of games the last two.

Ugh... I get too invested in this stuff when I have 0 impact on the outcomes.
Completely agree. If we don't make the NCAA tourney, it will suck, but at least I'll be done with this feeling.

"He's the best PG we've got by 10 miles. So it's not even a question I would think somebody that watches us play all the time would ask."

This is a good summary of the inflexibility I can't stand. The 2-3 is our best defense, so we will play it all the time unless we have to press out of desperation. Player X is our best Position Y so he will play unless he gets hurt or fouls out.

It's such a bizarre unwillingness to adapt to to the fact that a particular defense might not be the best defense at a particular junction in a game, or that a particular player might not be the best player on a given a night. This is our system, if it works we win, if not we lose, but we won't change the formula. So frustrating.

He doesn't believe it. He just says stuff.

If Gillon is "10 miles" better than Howard it's weird how much time Howard was getting until releatively recently. You'd think a guy who coaches a team would have better observational skills. ;)

You do not need movement against a matchup zone. That's when you know he is dead wrong. You need the correct spacing. Two best shooters in the dead corner to push those defensive wings down and give your guards driving room to come off ball screens or off dribble-drive.

I must have missed the question about Roberson.

He's wrong about Gillon, but JB says stuff.

I'm not convinced he likes this team.

I think he likes the way this team battles.

But the team also frustrates him. Silly mistakes. Inability to finish easy shots.

He doesn't like Howard's game. I agree. Howard is a poor point guard. We'd be 12-16 right now if Howard was our starting PG.

I think he likes the way this team battles.

But the team also frustrates him. Silly mistakes. Inability to finish easy shots.

He doesn't like Howard's game. I agree. Howard is a poor point guard. We'd be 12-16 right now if Howard was our starting PG.

Agree with this, Howard makes turnovers that are grade school level decisions. The last 2 games Gillon did his crazy 3s to get us close, but I'd much rather have White with the rock at the end (or even TT).

Neither of our point guards are very good.

It's been the biggest issue on this team. When Gillon plays well, SU generally plays well.

But Gillon is no more than an average point guard. No mid range game, average -- at best -- passer.

Howard is below average. Makes poor decisions and struggles to score. But he's a sophomore and is playing like a sophomore with limited skills would in high school. He's just not ready for this level of college ball.

We've had the kind of season you'd expect from a team with average point guards.

boeheim doesn't get to just act like this all the time. he is basically blaming the players for not being good enough, alright dude get better players. I realize that it is blaspheme to attack the old man, but here we are, sanctioned, not good, and recruiting like crap.

You do not need movement against a matchup zone. That's when you know he is dead wrong. You need the correct spacing. Two best shooters in the dead corner to push those defensive wings down and give your guards driving room to come off ball screens or off dribble-drive.

I recognized the matchup zone right away and was concerned with how we were attacking it. JB and the team were looking for man. Gillon was expecting man and was a deer in the headlights. That is on the staff. We couldn't have known they'd play the matchup but they have done so in games. Didn't look like we practiced for it. The offense we ran was our regular zone offense.

When Roberson was in there against the matchup in the first half, he was setting picks like he normally does in our offense. Did the staff tell him what to do when he was watching on the bench? There appears to be no communication on this team, on the court and between players and coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom