JB's Presser after Tech | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Tech

How would that happen though? JB has a presser and says, "after careful consideration, I've decided to hand the reigns over to Mike Hopkins." I just can't see that happening (though I was one of the people who struggled with when JB would be done and reluctantly said this would be his last year maybe six weeks ago). I can't see him bailing when the plan is after next year. I honestly can't. I can't envision that presser. And I really can't see him doing it via a press release. So I think he has one more year and Hop is our guy in 2018-19.

It is very hard to imagine and it will be very emotional. After all these years it will seem like the end of the world for a while too.

Admirable sentiment, but misguided. You can't "understand" it because it is pretty clear that you aren't privy to some information about Frank that others have.

You have expressed similar viewpoints all weekend long on this topic re: Frank, the coaches, and fans -- and you are 100% barking up the wrong tree.

I'm so sick of these type excuses.

You aren't seeing the practices.
-
Do we have guys unable to dribble the basketball? Sitting on the sideline listening to music and ignoring the coaches? Drawing on the whiteboard with poop? These are really the only things that might be going on in practice that might excuse leaving a starter in for 40 minutes that is struggling so bad.

You aren't getting the full story on player X.
-
Why do seem to recruit a disproportionate amount of players with attitudes so toxic they have to be locked away on the bench until they can be transferred safely away from rest of the team? It sure seems to happen a lot here. Or, maybe, just maybe, could something in our program be causing it? Gee, what could it be?

Huh? How quickly you're forgetting a Final Four run...?
The stumbled along last season despite having a McD AA and two 5th year senior guards, limped into the tournament with a 1-5 record over the their last six, beat two mid-majors, had the game of the season against a familiar ACC foe, and then got thumped by UNC. Not exactly a recipe that's repeatable.

-
Do we have guys unable to dribble the basketball? Sitting on the sideline listening to music and ignoring the coaches? Drawing on the whiteboard with poop? These are really the only things that might be going on in practice that might excuse leaving a starter in for 40 minutes that is struggling so bad.

-
Why do seem to recruit a disproportionate amount of players with attitudes so toxic they have to be locked away on the bench until they can be transferred safely away from rest of the team? It sure seems to happen a lot here. Or, maybe, just maybe, could something in our program be causing it? Gee, what could it be?

Every school gets it troublemakers. It's easier to add up one coach's list since it's been the same coach for 41 years.

Howard has the same amount of turnovers playing 12 less minutes than Gillon, he's the anti Tyler Ennis with the ball.

Every school gets it troublemakers. It's easier to add up one coach's list since it's been the same coach for 41 years.

Howard has the same amount of turnovers playing 12 less minutes than Gillon, he's the anti Tyler Ennis with the ball.

Wait, what are you talking about?

upload_2017-2-20_9-22-39.png

I think they were being nice to John last night.

Admirable sentiment, but misguided. You can't "understand" it because it is pretty clear that you aren't privy to some information about Frank that others have.

You have expressed similar viewpoints all weekend long on this topic re: Frank, the coaches, and fans -- and you are 100% barking up the wrong tree.
perhaps, but just considering on-court production (and lack thereof) in last night's game - FH was far superior to JG. Howard was the only Syracuse player with a positive +/- (13) while Gillon had a dismal -14. Gillon should not have been on the court in the 2nd half.
Say what you want about any alleged incidents, FH has come around enough to be a solid contributor as evidenced in the last 3 games and especially last night.

If what Howard did is as bad as people are hinting, why is he still on the team?

That's the question, isn't it?

Don't know is my only response. Could be some things are exaggerated, or...

Gillon didn't turn the ball over much yesterday because he spent 20 seconds per possession pounding the ball into the floor at the top of the key.

perhaps, but just considering on-court production (and lack thereof) in last night's game - FH was far superior to JG. Howard was the only Syracuse player with a positive +/- (13) while Gillon had a dismal -14. Gillon should not have been on the court in the 2nd half.
Say what you want about any alleged incidents, FH has come around enough to be a solid contributor as evidenced in the last 3 games and especially last night.

Exactly. Last night, Frank was better. He just was. Gillon hurt the squad last night. He was clearly rattled with the taunting by the fans, chose not to play defense on multiple possessions, etc.

-

-

Excuses?

You know what I'm sick of? Posters who read into posts others make, put on their own fanciful interpretations, and then indignantly argue against the outlandish position that they've concocted. That covers part #1 above.

As for part #2, I don't know what to tell you. Again ignoring your spin, if you want to pretend that everything is fine and that JB is just not playing Howard--who began the season as a starter--for no good reason, then be my guest.

What does any of that have to do with the post I made? Literally zero.

I looked at the stat lines for the year.

Again, I just want to talk about last night. And Howard was better last night. If he had played the minutes that Gillon played, maybe he has similar stats to JG, but it sure seemed like we were getting a better version of Howard. He made a layup and a three!

Gillon didn't turn the ball over much yesterday because he spent 20 seconds per possession pounding the ball into the floor at the top of the key.
I have had and said this observation in the past. If we are not facing pressure on the inbound, John will usually get the ball over half court at about 26 seconds. Then he does his dribbling or passing back and forth to the wing until about 10 or 12 seconds. Then we try to get our offense going. Maybe not every possession, but it appears to be in the majority of cases. Maybe this is what JB wants, I do not know. I am not a Gillon lover, but will not ridicule him if that is what he has been directed to do. However, last night we certainly should have seen more of the Howard/Battle tandem.

If Gillon had been a 4 year player here he would have been a very good point guard. The problem is he's been a scoring PG his entire career for a JV level program. He's never been a distributor, he's never had to run offensive sets to get the ball to the scorers, he's always been the guy. When you're 5-9 that's not going to work in the ACC

Frank is just not ready. His path shouldve followed that of Allen Griffin or Lazarus Simms. A role player and then take over as a junior or senior.

Last edited:
The stumbled along last season despite having a McD AA and two 5th year senior guards, limped into the tournament with a 1-5 record over the their last six, beat two mid-majors, had the game of the season against a familiar ACC foe, and then got thumped by UNC. Not exactly a recipe that's repeatable.

You can spin it whichever way you want, I could point out that they had to convert G to PG, or talk about how tough that "familiar," ACC foe was...

But it was a Final Four run, if you can't enjoy that, what the hell is the point??? Final Four runs only count for you, what, if you're a 4 seed or higher?

If Gillon had been a 4 year player here he would be a very good point guard. The problem is he has been a scoring PG his entire career on a JV level program. He's never been a distributor, he's never had to run an offensive sets to get the ball to the scorers, he's always been the guy. When you're 5-9 that's not going to work in the ACC

Frank is just not ready. His path shouldve followed that of Allen Griffin or Lazarus Simms. A role player and then take over as a junior or senior.

I really don't think so. He's too short. Can't play the defense, can't make the right passes because of his height.

He's not Isiah Thomas (Celtics version) with his scoring, except for those nights where teams aren't within 5 feet of him when he starts his 1.5 second shooting motion.

-

-

I agree with this completely. JB is invested in Gillon and that won't change. We are likely a 16-16 team at the end of the season and could be 16-17 shortly thereafter. Not playing Howard, who is playing better btw, makes little sense period. Gillon stink up the joint last night and still played, what, 35 minutes?

I have no idea what Howard did to warrant some of the rumors that are floating around. But he's on the team so should play if he's playing better than the guy ahead of him. At least that's what JB always says, the best 5 play.

You can spin it whichever way you want, I could point out that they had to convert G to PG, or talk about how tough that "familiar," ACC foe was...

But it was a Final Four run, if you can't enjoy that, what the hell is the point??? Final Four runs only count for you, what, if you're a 4 seed or higher?
But that's not what I posted.

I really don't think so. He's too short. Can't play the defense, can't make the right passes because of his height.

He's not Isiah Thomas (Celtics version) with his scoring, except for those nights where teams aren't within 5 feet of him when he starts his 1.5 second shooting motion.

Agreed. This Gillon is the Gillon we'd see every year. He won't get better because he doesn't have the tools. He's too short, can't handle pressure and tries to show boat. Mediocre at best.

Howard's stat line is inflated by his play against the early season cupcakes.

But come on now. He's outplayed Gillon the last two games. And I'd argue, he can never be any worse than Gillon was last night

But come on now. He's outplayed Gillon the last two games. And I'd argue, he can never be any worse than Gillon was last night

Remember the Georgetown game? Our PG situation is a mess, at least Gillon has produced in big spots. He nailed 2 huge threes down the stretch in our last 2 games.

That being said, I thought he was asked to do too much at the close of GT and UL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom