JB's Presser after Tech | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Tech

I think he likes the way this team battles.

But the team also frustrates him. Silly mistakes. Inability to finish easy shots.

He doesn't like Howard's game. I agree. Howard is a poor point guard. We'd be 12-16 right now if Howard was our starting PG.

Didn't realize this was a Roberson thread.

Neither of our point guards are very good.

It's been the biggest issue on this team. When Gillon plays well, SU generally plays well.

But Gillon is no more than an average point guard. No mid range game, average -- at best -- passer.

Howard is below average. Makes poor decisions and struggles to score. But he's a sophomore and is playing like a sophomore with limited skills would in high school. He's just not ready for this level of college ball.

We've had the kind of season you'd expect from a team with average point guards.
so when is it on the staff for bringing in frank howard as a point guard recruit

The team prepares for the defense of the opponent in practice. GT's zone was expected.

JB comes off like he doesn't like the gig anymore. I know we lost but he obviously doesn't like coaching this group. And I'm not sure he likes the grind. Again, I know he was pumped up after our wins, especially UVA but I just think he's worn out and maybe ready to watch his real kids play.

He's always been a legendarily crabby guy but it feels differently lately. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that is my honest take. He will probably be back next year but I hope we have some guys he likes to coach more than this group.

Last edited:
Damn i wish i could hear the questions... a minute in this is frustrating.

Its clearer on the gtswarm.com recording... The guy asks "Did it seem like the offense was a little impatient at times?" which apparently was such an out of line question/observation that JB said "You think?" and proceeded to rip him for asking such a question while not being the coach.

At least he was doing his usual ripping of the media instead of players for a moment. As far as I could tell Frank was the only one in his wrath this time and that was more about trying to promote Gillon. (Personally it looked pretty clear Gillon looked drunk out there and it made no sense not to give Frank more run in the second half, though I agree Gillon is the less bad PG overall).

I don't think anyone was "in his wrath". He's just trying to be supportive of Gillon.

He doesn't like Howard's game. I agree. Howard is a poor point guard. We'd be 12-16 right now if Howard was our starting PG.

Kinda disagree. Putting aside the debacle that has been Howard's off-court manner, yes, this is true if we had Howard as he is currently playing. But, if he had been handed the keys from the beginning, with Gillon as the backup, don't we have to think he would have progressed to be a decent guard? I'm kind of of the mind that his issues are 90% mental. Can't get a rhythm, can't get JB out of his head... and that, plus all the off-court stuff is just a massive weight on his mind. The kid we saw in limited time last year was going to be a serviceable player, if he only improved his shot. He did that.

There are times when Gillon is really good. But, more often, he's a liability, and because our other option has been a disaster, we're looking at Gillon for what he's supposed to be able to do—based on those outlier performances. But, those successes were fluky more than predictive.

Howard has made too many mistakes this year. And last year, he was "a great passer." Roberson has been a shell of a player. Last year, he was "a great rebounder." When we have two cases of what seem to be mental debilitations, we need staff to rebuild the player, not continue to destroy them. The "10 miles comment tonight"—in what world is that an effective tool toward getting Howard to play better? He's supposed to be embarrassed, and then try harder? He's already playing for his livelihood. No matter how inspired a person might be, if he gets four minutes in a game, and knows he gets less if he turns it over just once—that's not conducive toward building rhythm or confidence, the two attributes he needs most right now.

Its clearer on the gtswarm.com recording... The guy asks "Did it seem like the offense was a little impatient at times?" which apparently was such an out of line question/observation that JB said "You think?" and proceeded to rip him for asking such a question while not being the coach.

At least he was doing his usual ripping of the media instead of players for a moment. As far as I could tell Frank was the only one in his wrath this time and that was more about trying to promote Gillon. (Personally it looked pretty clear Gillon looked drunk out there and it made no sense not to give Frank more run in the second half, though I agree Gillon is the less bad PG overall).
By the looks on his face I have to think he was constipated. So let's lighten up. And I have been constipated before so I can observe that.

Enjoy the last few weeks because I think this is his last year.

How would that happen though? JB has a presser and says, "after careful consideration, I've decided to hand the reigns over to Mike Hopkins." I just can't see that happening (though I was one of the people who struggled with when JB would be done and reluctantly said this would be his last year maybe six weeks ago). I can't see him bailing when the plan is after next year. I honestly can't. I can't envision that presser. And I really can't see him doing it via a press release. So I think he has one more year and Hop is our guy in 2018-19.

I don't think anyone was "in his wrath". He's just trying to be supportive of Gillon.

Well, saying that a guard you've previously trashed pretty good in pressers (along with yourself) as the PG play being the major reason we are so bad (along with the D) earlier in the year than saying the other guy is 10 miles better than you isn't exactly a compliment for Frank.

mechanic : that will be $200 for the oil change coach
jb : meeeehh...that seems kinda high
mechanic : do you own an shop ? do you fix cars ? buy a garage then you can have an opinion !!!!

JB's next response...well W T F, I don't have a flux capacitor in this vehicle so I don't need fargin plutonium! ;):)

How would that happen though? JB has a presser and says, "after careful consideration, I've decided to hand the reigns over to Mike Hopkins." I just can't see that happening (though I was one of the people who struggled with when JB would be done and reluctantly said this would be his last year maybe six weeks ago). I can't see him bailing when the plan is after next year. I honestly can't. I can't envision that presser. And I really can't see him doing it via a press release. So I think he has one more year and Hop is our guy in 2018-19.
I kinda thought he would not be the kind of person to want a season of pageantry—all the retirement ceremonies and gifts and press in his announced last year. But then the "1,000" game happened, and he really seemed to relish the adulation. Maybe that was as much about sticking it to the NCAA as actually enjoying it, but I dunno. I think he really is "obstinate" enough to come back despite all other considerations. But it's going to suck out loud to have him go .500 for a 4th consecutive year. Not the way I'd want him to go out.

"He's the best PG we've got by 10 miles. So it's not even a question I would think somebody that watches us play all the time would ask."

This is a good summary of the inflexibility I can't stand. The 2-3 is our best defense, so we will play it all the time unless we have to press out of desperation. Player X is our best Position Y so he will play unless he gets hurt or fouls out.

It's such a bizarre unwillingness to adapt to to the fact that a particular defense might not be the best defense at a particular junction in a game, or that a particular player might not be the best player on a given a night. This is our system, if it works we win, if not we lose, but we won't change the formula. So frustrating.

Gillon: -14
Howard: +13

I'm sick of the hate towards Frank. JB is losing it. Fans are losing it. I guess that Frank is so bad that he should transfer as a damn Sophomore. Gillon can suck, but he had a 40+ game once. Frank can drive more effectively than JG. He came in and got an and 1, though missed the FT.

Imagine Frank at the end of Louisville. Who do you want driving to the bucket? Not even 6 feet on his toes, or a legit 6'5 driving. I will never understand the hate for FH from coach, and fans. He hit a damn three before Gillon scored a breakaway layup for his first bucket.

I guess I'm missing something. Up there in assists in the ACC, while barely playing.

The "10 miles comment tonight"—in what world is that an effective tool toward getting Howard to play better?

I think it was supposed to be a tool to get Gillon to play better, in other words, "Settle down, you're not losing the starting job."

At this point, you really can't make a drastic change. You can give Howard more minutes and get Gillon off the floor a bit, but that's about it. It could be EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. Gillon wasn't playing every minute of every game before he dropped 43, and I think he's rested 10 minutes in six games going back to that one, which was of course an OT game. Plus the schedule was compact...

But it's going to suck out loud to have him go .500 for a 4th consecutive year. Not the way I'd want him to go out.

Huh? How quickly you're forgetting a Final Four run...?

Also, would you rather him coach another year or say, "Here you go Hop, it's a mess with the sanctions, but good luck!" Let alone the fact that he's been recruiting kids with the expectation of playing for him next year.

I'm sick of the hate towards Frank. JB is losing it. Fans are losing it. I guess that Frank is so bad that he should transfer as a damn Sophomore. Gillon can suck, but he had a 40+ game once. Frank can drive more effectively than JG. He came in and got an and 1, though missed the FT.

Imagine Frank at the end of Louisville. Who do you want driving to the bucket? Not even 6 feet on his toes, or a legit 6'5 driving. I will never understand the hate for FH from coach, and fans. He hit a damn three before Gillon scored a breakaway layup for his first bucket.

I guess I'm missing something. Up there in assists in the ACC, while barely playing.

Admirable sentiment, but misguided. You can't "understand" it because it is pretty clear that you aren't privy to some information about Frank that others have.

You have expressed similar viewpoints all weekend long on this topic re: Frank, the coaches, and fans -- and you are 100% barking up the wrong tree.

As RF just said, suffice it to say there are very legitimate reasons that Frank does not have a huge fan club. That being said, a few more minutes in the second half last night would have been okay with me.

I don't know about anybody else, but even though Frank has been better as of late, I still do not trust him whatsoever with the ball in his hands. Every time he has the ball I just want him to get rid of it safely, and until he does, I almost expect a turn over.

Not a good feeling to get from a pg.

Gillon was horrendous last night, but I still trust him over frank.

That being said, why is JB playing Howard and gillon together at all? Tall about an inept duo. He must know or see something that we don't, because there is no reason in my mind that those two should ever be on the floor together, with battle on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom