JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose we could hire a search committee. Those seem to work well.
Have a family friend who coaches at the lower level in D-I. He said “search committees” are glorified agents. Usually, the AD has narrowed in on a person but wants the illusion they’ve done a “thorough” search. This coach has been “a candidate” before, where it’s really a “do you mind if we put you on a list of candidates that we said we talked to” conversation.

Any theories out there why Gmac is in the conversation as HCIW? Some people clearly seem to think he is. I wonder where this comes from. To be clear, I am not questioning whether Gmac should or should not be a candidate. That's a different debate.

Indications that he is JB's favorite: (1) Gerry has been the lead recruiter on some very high profile targets these past few seasons (most of which did not turn out, but that's recruiting ...), (2) JB was asked in an interview about a year or two ago, "If you could choose 1 guy to be in a fox hole with you, who would it be?" He didn't hesitate a moment to name Gerry, and (3) we have weekly radio shows to promote the program during the season. Does he use Autry or Griffin for those? No, he uses Gerry, who was a terrific player, but is not a "peppy" personality, especially on radio.

So, those are just tea leaves. Take your shots if you will. That's my gut feeling who JB would want to succeed him.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. That AD is doing some soul searching and trying to find the right match for basketball. The Hafley model is working there and it's because he's a damn good recruiter and enthusiastic as heck (and young). If they go with that for hoops I could absolutely see Gerry getting a very strong look.

I don't think Ed is coming to the Heights. He is targeting higher. Pitino ONLY makes sense if both Rick and the school are on the same page for length of career there. They'll need him locked in for whatever time makes sense and for him to not run for the hills if he's seduced by bigger schools again. I argued with boosters they should have hired Calhoun before Christian. At least you're getting a program builder.

I love Pitino as a coach, but his best days are 10-15 years behind him.
If the university somehow overlooked his past discretions, I still wouldn't see him as anything more than a bridge to the next coach, like if the program were in trouble when JB left.

If Red gets the gig (and Dino survives until then) having black head coaches in football and M/W basketball would be something to be proud of.

Just so my words aren’t twisted: NOT saying that should have an influence on the decision just that it’s something I would brag about

I get your point. It would be a proud thing for the University that had the first black Heisman Trophy winner also be (perhaps) the first P5 school to have African Americans as head of both the football and basketball programs.

Have a family friend who coaches at the lower level in D-I. He said “search committees” are glorified agents. Usually, the AD has narrowed in on a person but wants the illusion they’ve done a “thorough” search. This coach has been “a candidate” before, where it’s really a “do you mind if we put you on a list of candidates that we said we talked to” conversation.

Sorry you missed the sarcasm.

Why wouldn't Hop be the next HC ? The Washington program is on a downward spiral and no incoming recruits on the horizon and the recruiting well at Washington has dried up overall. Either he will be fired by the time JB steps aside or he will leave on his own to come back home to Syracuse. There is no doubt he will get the first call and based on his current circumstances at Washington will say Yes.
I think you answered your own question.Downward spiral, no incoming recruits,fired from a school who is below us in terms of pedigree?Washington might be the worst team in all of the big boy leagues.

From as early as Gerry's playing days, it has been discussed about his potential to be a coach. He has always been told his bball IQ is very high, and his close ties to the area very likely make him a lifer at the school, leading us to having another coach who lasts 45+ years. We all know JB loves and rewards loyalty, so it should come as no surprise he had a conversation to have him designated as HCIW. But his total lack of experience makes it a non starter I am sure for JW. Mike brings years of experience not only at SU and Washington, but also was assisting at multiple olympics, and was given glowing reports for his help by the other coaches there. He has earned the respect and the HCIW designation he had when he was here. I don't see another coach getting that designation here. There will have to be a search committee. I don't know enough about Red to say if he would be a good coach, Gerry by far hasn't proven himself. Pitino is still toxic, you might as well say you want JT3 here as a coach , even though Georgetown still sucks. There are a lot of mid major schools who have quality coaches that deserve a shot. We will find out in a couple of years.

If JB wants GMac to be HC then JB should tell him to get a HC ASAP and prove it.
Mike Hopkins was elite assistant.
Years ago he was in an ESPN insider article on top assistant coaches and future HCs.

GMac isn’t even the best assistant on this staff.

The idea he is a candidate for the SU job is insane.

I think you answered your own question.Downward spiral, no incoming recruits,fired from a school who is below us in terms of pedigree?Washington might be the worst team in all of the big boy leagues.

Doesn't matter. It didn't work out there. Hopkins never wanted to be there, he and his wife (who is from here) want to come home. Hopkins will get the first call regardless. There is no way he doesn't say Yes. Time to come home where he belongs. Plus as I said before JB will be making the decision who get's called, interviewed, and ultimately hired.

Doesn't matter. It didn't work out there. Hopkins never wanted to be there, he and his wife (who is from here) want to come home. Hopkins will get the first call regardless. There is no way he doesn't say Yes. Time to come home where he belongs. Plus as I said before JB will be making the decision who get's called, interviewed, and ultimately hired.
For all the heat you take on this Board, people are going to be shocked to discover you are really JW. Very clever disguise, by the way.

I love Pitino as a coach, but his best days are 10-15 years behind him.
If the university somehow overlooked his past discretions, I still wouldn't see him as anything more than a bridge to the next coach, like if the program were in trouble when JB left.
Age would also be a huge factor for not going with Pitino.

JB can’t even remember if he practiced two days after practicing and you think they will let him choose who coaches next?Love JB, but in a few years he might be incapable of making such a decision.Getting old sucks, but it is what is.

No luv for Ricky Jr? He's getting it done, like the old man. Syracuse would be a move up from Minnesota.

Just because you say it doesn't make it anywhere remotely close to the truth.

One person and one person only will be making the decision on the next HC, and that is John Wildhack. Period.

Will he take input from others, including JB? Of course. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. But he also wouldn't be doing his job if he let JB handpick the next coach. Your argument comes down to what you want to happen. But what you want to happen isn't what is going to happen.

{queue 6 more posts telling me I don't know what I'm talking about because 1) he's a legend; 2) I don't live there so I don't know; 3) the well-heeled alumni won't stand for anyone but JB making the decision; 4) etc. etc. etc.}

C
And people I say I talk in absolutes.
My god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online