Jerami Grant Growth Spurt? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant Growth Spurt?

And if you watch AAU ball with any regularity, you know that the guards hog the ball and they play no defense. It's total schoolyard. Just watch. He's going to be a very good player for us. Probably not this year, because he's not likely to get the minutes unless either CJ or James totally crap the bed, but the year after that he will make one of the all-conference teams, and in year 3 he will be another John Wallace type, if he works hard.

I obviously hope I'm wrong, but I think you have his ceiling way too high. He's a nice prospect, but not nearly as talented as John Wallace was. Not even close. I think he'll end up being a very good rotation player and will definitely help us to win a lot of games. But never the star type that you see him as.

I obviously hope I'm wrong, but I think you have his ceiling way too high. He's a nice prospect, but not nearly as talented as John Wallace was. Not even close. I think he'll end up being a very good rotation player and will definitely help us to win a lot of games. But never the star type that you see him as.
I think he can develop into a star.

I think he can develop into a star.

A star in the John Wallace or Hak mold? I just don't see it. I think he can be an impact player, but not that alpha dog type guy. While I hope I'm wrong, there's nothing wrong with him developing into the role player type that the last few, and very successful teams have had.

A star in the John Wallace or Hak mold? I just don't see it. I think he can be an impact player, but not that alpha dog type guy. While I hope I'm wrong, there's nothing wrong with him developing into the role player type that the last few, and very successful teams have had.
hes more than a role player, i see great potential in him. hes put on some muscle already which is great before the season started. i think he might have already changed position with his new "height" :)

Way to young to tell if hes a alpha dog or not.

Guys like Demitrius Nichols, Andy Rautins, James Southerland, and Brandon Triche didn't even reach that to their senior years let alone as freshmen or sophs.
This guy is a NBA pedigree, last name Grant first name Greatest.

I think people might remember the senior john wallace and comparing players to that is a reach in itself.

those weren't AAU numbers, those were his numbers in international play with the 18 and under team, where he was coached by Billy Donovan, Mark Few and Shaka Smart. Those coaches had their guards facilitating, not dominating, such that the three leading scorers were forwards Randle, Stokes and Goodwin, who each averaged double figures and who each shot over 55% or better from the field.

I am sure Grant is going to be a solid player for the Orange, but come on - John Wallace is one of the 5 best forwards in school history. He didn't have to wait for anyone to get playing time - hell, he's the reason that talented guys like Glenn Sekunda and Chucky Gelatt quit the team because they couldn't get PT.

You don't do Grant any favors by raising such expectations.

So we know where you stand on the young man. As I said, he's got the best mix of skills of any forward since Melo (I should edit that to say, "or Wes Johnson", although we only had him for the one year). Just file this one away. It's going to take a couple years.

Only have seen local AAU stuff from around CNY so never made it to ABCD like other fans. Know a lot of fans go. Doesn't make those fans talent evaluators. In fact I know a lot of people on these boards have given their thoughts on players at camps and they were wrong more than right. Its easy to say Carmelo was going to be a star.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I didn't just sit and watch; I spoke to coaches all day long. AAU coaches like Ro Russell, college assistants, or even JB a few times, or evaluators like Clark Francis, Tom Konchalski and Brick Oettinger. At FDU, you were sitting in this glass media booth (if you got the press credentials) and all these guys do is talk hoops all day and all night for 4 or 5 days, commenting on the games, tipping you off regarding who was coming up in the next game, what match ups to watch for, and comparing their lists of the top 100, "Did you see so and so at Rumble in the Bronx?", etc. How do you think that Mason, Fishy - and even Jake (LOL) got so smart?

I didn't just sit and watch; I spoke to coaches all day long. AAU coaches like Ro Russell, college assistants, or even JB a few times, or evaluators like Clark Francis, Tom Konchalski and Brick Oettinger. At FDU, you were sitting in this glass media booth (if you got the press credentials) and all these guys do is talk hoops all day and all night for 4 or 5 days, commenting on the games, tipping you off regarding who was coming up in the next game, what match ups to watch for, and comparing their lists of the top 100, "Did you see so and so at Rumble in the Bronx?", etc. How do you think that Mason, Fishy - and even Jake (LOL) got so smart?
It's amazing how much information is generated around events like that. Just going to an SU practice is like getting a tresure trove of info. The last one I attended an NBA front office guy was there, I learned a lot from him. Saw some members of the press who had been attending regular practices, they filled me in on who was doing what. You see who is over performing & who isn't. Nothing like seeing things with your own eyes.

Having been one of the earliest supporters of Grant, I thought I should chime in. The guy reeks of potential, and the latest rumor of the growth spurt only helps the cause.

Grant is coming into SU expecting limited PT his frosh year and plans on building from there. This is from an NBA pedigree, top 50 player. What's not to love. This is how dynastys are built - someone tell Ennis.

Talk of the alpha, impact role Grant could ascend to is based on not only his skills but his coachability. I can easily see it. The guy seems to be making all the right moves to grow into that role.

The slower maturation process of Grant could mean he is not at his physical peak until the end of college. He could be one of those types that could be a more accomplished pro than college player.

So we know where you stand on the young man. As I said, he's got the best mix of skills of any forward since Melo (I should edit that to say, "or Wes Johnson", although we only had him for the one year). Just file this one away. It's going to take a couple years.
Matt, you can't on the one hand say "he's John Wallace" and then on the other hand say "he's going to take a few years." Jdub was a stud from day one, the kind of guy who made other guys wait their turn - or even flee the program.

I value JB's talent evaluations as much as or more than anyone, and the fact that he thinks Grant was worth the scholarship tells me that the odds are very good that the kid is going to be a contributing player and I look forward to that.

But you are trying to have it both ways - on the one hand calling him a superstud, JDub type player (so you can hopefully cash that chip someday) while on the other hand trying to hedge your bet by saying it will take a few years. I'm calling you on it, not Grant.

For a freshman, he'll be fine. SU's getting a kid who's got talent, who's developed physically more than the majority of freshman, and he's got relatives who can tell him what it takes to make it to the NBA. Is he going to be a star right away? At SU, no, because he's behind a few other guys, but at a non-top-30 school, he probably starts immediately.

Kev

Matt, you can't on the one hand say "he's John Wallace" and then on the other hand say "he's going to take a few years." Jdub was a stud from day one, the kind of guy who made other guys wait their turn - or even flee the program.

I value JB's talent evaluations as much as or more than anyone, and the fact that he thinks Grant was worth the scholarship tells me that the odds are very good that the kid is going to be a contributing player and I look forward to that.

But you are trying to have it both ways - on the one hand calling him a superstud, JDub type player (so you can hopefully cash that chip someday) while on the other hand trying to hedge your bet by saying it will take a few years. I'm calling you on it, not Grant.

You like calling people out like youre some great talent evaluator when you are far from it. Grants a stud , as was j wallace but if you think jwallace the freshman was the same player as jwallace the senior your delisional. He got better each year and became a college elite player by his senior year. Moqui -2 points for ignorance.

Having been one of the earliest supporters of Grant, I thought I should chime in. The guy reeks of potential, and the latest rumor of the growth spurt only helps the cause.

Grant is coming into SU expecting limited PT his frosh year and plans on building from there. This is from an NBA pedigree, top 50 player. What's not to love. This is how dynastys are built - someone tell Ennis.

Talk of the alpha, impact role Grant could ascend to is based on not only his skills but his coachability. I can easily see it. The guy seems to be making all the right moves to grow into that role.

The slower maturation process of Grant could mean he is not at his physical peak until the end of college. He could be one of those types that could be a more accomplished pro than college player.

That's a good and reasonable take on the situation, Sarge. But reading through this thread, I get the impression we will see plenty of "why doesn't Grant get more run?" threads whenever Fair or Southerland or Christmas struggle.

No, he's wasn't Moqui. Wallace didn't become the Wallace we remember until his junior year. He got bullied around his freshman year, and was a supporting player his sophomore year (although granted, he did put up some good numbers). If Grant played the minutes that Wallace was forced to play, his development would be similarly accelerated. He's going to be very good, but have to sit behind very good, more experienced players, just like Dion did his freshman year.

You like calling people out like youre some great talent evaluator when you are far from it. Grants a stud , as was j wallace but if you think jwallace the freshman was the same player as jwallace the senior your delisional. He got better each year and became a college elite player by his senior year. Moqui -2 points for ignorance.

still hurts, eh albany?

of course Jdub got better as he got older; I'm not even considering the older JDub . . . let me do this real slow so maybe you can keep up:

I am comparing Jdub the frosh to JGrant the frosh . . . the kid who was a McDonald's player, who started every game as a frosh, who averaged 11 and 7, led the team in rebounding (even out-boarding senior Conrad McRae) and shot 53% from the floor.

THAT frosh is head and shoulders better than what incoming JGrant will be, even the mythical 6-10 Grant.

now take your spanking like a man for once.

still hurts, eh albany?

of course Jdub got better as he got older; I'm not even considering the older JDub . . . let me do this real slow so maybe you can keep up:

I am comparing Jdub the frosh to JGrant the frosh . . . the kid who was a McDonald's player, who started every game as a frosh, who averaged 11 and 7, led the team in rebounding (even out-boarding senior Conrad McRae) and shot 53% from the floor.

THAT frosh is head and shoulders better than what incoming JGrant will be, even the mythical 6-10 Grant.

Agree x10. Stop comparing Grant to Wallace so you can avoid getting upset with Grant's play, especially early. Not even close to his ability.

I know reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths, but try reading Moqui's post again before accusing him of ignorance.

still hurts, eh albany?

Awesome youre comparing jdub the frosh vs j grant the frosh , f in A man you are good , how do you do that? Youre a beast no doubt, would you like to provide a graph and link as well .

I know reading comprehension isn't one of your strengths, but try reading Moqui's post again before accusing him of ignorance.
I know you have man love for moqui , but you being a stalker as well is not good.

I know you have man love for moqui , but you being a stalker as well is not good.
Your mind works in mysterious ways. I'm beginning to worry about you.

That's a good and reasonable take on the situation, Sarge. But reading through this thread, I get the impression we will see plenty of "why doesn't Grant get more run?" threads whenever Fair or Southerland or Christmas struggle.
Of course, the minutes criticism is unstoppable and pretty much undefendable. If reasonable people (and by that I, of course, mean me) can discuss and plead for more minutes during the course of a historic 34-3 scoreboard season, it is here to stay.

The interesting twist may come in the hater reversal years from now. Instead of why aren't there more really good pros from SU, it may become - how come JB "Boeheimed" so many of these good pros. Waiters, MCW, and Grant all sat at times. The guy was losing it at the end. We will see how well Igor can train the little one.

Of course, the minutes criticism is unstoppable and pretty much undefendable. If reasonable people (and by that I, of course, mean me) can discuss and plead for more minutes during the course of a historic 34-3 scoreboard season, it is here to stay.

The interesting twist may come in the hater reversal years from now. Instead of why aren't there more really good pros from SU, it may become - how come JB "Boeheimed" so many of these good pros. Waiters, MCW, and Grant all sat at times. The guy was losing it at the end. We will see how well Igor can train the little one.

I picture Igor indoctrinating the kid and other future posters in some Jonestown-like setting.