Jerami Grant | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant

Great but too bad his improvement is framed around a Melo vs Jerami conversation.

Nene and Gerald Green didn't exactly play defense on this drive.
But good to see Jerami Grant making his imprint.

Not possible. He didn't stay in school to get better. He left too soon.

He's 24, the age when guys really start to show who they are. He played on the intentionally worst NBA teams in history during what would've been his last couple of college years.

If he comes back for his junior season at Syracuse, he's an All-American and at least a mid to late first rounder. And by that measure, if he was the 19th pick for argument's sake, he makes $7,568,554 on a 4-year deal. After three years, that's about $4.928M.

As it stands now in his current situation, he made $4,234,674 as a second round pick over a four-year contract. Not bad, but he could have made +$700K (plus or minus, depending on draft position) in only three years. Plus another year guaranteed (which can work both ways).

I personally think he's a lottery pick the following year, which would bump him to $6.669M. That's over two million dollars more.

This is what kills me about the "it makes more sense for you to leave now and get paid sooner" crowd. Can he do what he wants and do what's best for him? Sure. And I don't fault any of them. Just trying to point out that financially, a lot of times it makes sense to bet on yourself and stay in college like Brissett is doing.

Sure, an injury could happen. But I think the risk outweighs the reward in a couple of our cases, most specifically with Grant.

If he comes back for his junior season at Syracuse, he's an All-American and at least a mid to late first rounder. And by that measure, if he was the 19th pick for argument's sake, he makes $7,568,554 on a 4-year deal. After three years, that's about $4.928M.

As it stands now in his current situation, he made $4,234,674 as a second round pick over a four-year contract. Not bad, but he could have made +$700K (plus or minus, depending on draft position) in only three years. Plus another year guaranteed (which can work both ways).

I personally think he's a lottery pick the following year, which would bump him to $6.669M. That's over two million dollars more.

This is what kills me about the "it makes more sense for you to leave now and get paid sooner" crowd. Can he do what he wants and do what's best for him? Sure. And I don't fault any of them. Just trying to point out that financially, a lot of times it makes sense to bet on yourself and stay in college like Brissett is doing.

Sure, an injury could happen. But I think the risk outweighs the reward in a couple of our cases, most specifically with Grant.
You're assuming everything plays out in the same way. Right now, he's about to get a contract that makes those numbers you listed look like peanuts.

He adds a dimension on the floor that Melo cannot at this stage of his career. Grant's defensive ability is a great fit for the modern NBA as one announcer pointed out last week - he can give you minutes at the 5 in the modern NBA. He is going to get paid - a guy who impacts games and can do it with no shots.

You're assuming it all works out how it has for him. Right now, he's about to get a contract that makes those numbers you listed look like peanuts.

Correct -- he literally hit the lottery with what his path has been. If he doesn't get the 4-year guarantee as a second rounder (RARE), he's toiling in the D League or Europe after his first, unimpressive season on the worst team in the league.

I'm playing devil's advocate and love Grant -- as I do all SU players. And have always rooted for him. I just fall on the side of Boeheim on a lot of these decisions.

You just used a hypothetical as evidence.

That doesn't work.

Correct -- he literally hit the lottery with what his path has been. If he doesn't get the 4-year guarantee as a second rounder (RARE), he's toiling in the D League or Europe after his first, unimpressive season on the worst team in the league.

I'm playing devil's advocate and love Grant -- as I do all SU players. And have always rooted for him. I just fall on the side of Boeheim on a lot of these decisions.

He got a 2 year guarantee, FYI.

you can make an argument that RIGHT NOW he is our best pro.
I'm excited to see Melo in the Playoffs. That's why OKC got him and I really hope he proves his worth. The game slows down and you need guys that can get buckets and that is Melo's role.

That being said, with Grants ever-improving offense and phenomenal defensive ability, it's getting harder and harder to keep him on the bench. He'll most likely be starting next year, whether that's on OKC or elsewhere.

Also, takes 2 years long to get to "next year" (contract year) and takes 2 years off the 5th through end of career years of real money. because he still would have been stuck with 2 guarantee AND 2 team opption years.

So he makes $2 mil more on the front end but how much does he lose on the back end if it all plays out the same? Probably WAYYYY more than $2 million.

He took a chance and it worked for him. Cant fault him in any way. Happy for him.

I'm excited to see Melo in the Playoffs. That's why OKC got him and I really hope he proves his worth. The game slows down and you need guys that can get buckets and that is Melo's role.

That being said, with Grants ever-improving offense and phenomenal defensive ability, it's getting harder and harder to keep him on the bench. He'll most likely be starting next year, whether that's on OKC or elsewhere.

Knicks por favor

Also, takes 2 years long to get to "next year" and takes 2 years off the 5th - end of career contract. because he still would have been stuck with 2 guarantee AND 2 team opption years.

So he makes $2 mil more on the front end but how much does he lose on the back end if it all plays out the same? Probably WAYYYY more than $2 million.

He took a chance and it worked for him. Cant fault him in any way. Happy for him.

Why does he lose a lot more? He literally hit the perfect combo with a terrible team giving him that guarantee. Makes it exponentially tougher to do what he's done as a second rounder.

I give him credit and I'm super happy for him. Again, playing devil's advocate. Mainly as a frustrated Syracuse fan who really would rather see players play in college than in the NBA.

(Disclaimer: I again understand it's their right and do not fault them. Just making an argument why it isn't necessarily the optimal choice.)

Why does he lose a lot more? He literally hit the perfect combo with a terrible team giving him that guarantee. Makes it exponentially tougher to do what he's done as a second rounder.

I give him credit and I'm super happy for him. Again, playing devil's advocate. Mainly as a frustrated Syracuse fan who really would rather see players play in college than in the NBA.

(Disclaimer: I again understand it's their right and do not fault them. Just making an argument why it isn't necessarily the optimal choice.)

Because he gets the same 2yr/2yr (2 yr guarantee followed by team option followed by team option) deal just worth $2 mil by your count whether he goes pro in 14 or 16.

but he is 24 right now either way, right? so he is getting closer to retirement. Staying in college doesnt allow you to play until your older (complicated, but we'll leave it at that). So he would have for the sake of argument lost out on 2 years of pro earnings. But back to the 2/2 deal... so he makes $2 mil more on the front end. But the 2nd and 3rd contract is where the real money is. At the least he is about to sign a 4 year $60 million deal at age 24. But he if waited until 16 draft and all things being equal other than being a lottory pick and making $2 mil more, he would have gotten he 4 yr $60 million deal at age 26. Make sense now?

the only chance, by your $2mil math that he makes the same or more money is if he ends his career on 2 1 year minimum deals playing old man bball like vince carter that he wouldnt have been able to do had he gone to college (because he would be 2 yrs older)... and even the vet minimum is already higher than $1 mil/yr. Now add time value of money and because he gambled and won, he literally won. There is no financial justification for him coming back to school his jr year.

If it was the summer of 2016 all over again, he would be looking at $12m a year. Not a lot of cap space available this summer but should definitely be looking at somewhere around the full mid level exception.. Either way there's a big payday heading his way.

You really believe that he was going to jump up to the lottery after his Jr year without still developing a jumper. That absolutely was not happening. Far more realistic scenario is that he is a 2nd coming of Hak who was actually an All-American and still went 19th because he was an upper classmen with no jump shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom