Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 124 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Do you know the reason(s) why and how that could have been remedied?
Is this a trick? All anyone needs to know is $, and how much some have and are willing to allocate to talent in an open market. A market they've been priced out of, at least this one, Early and visible time.

Anything else?

Is Jesse Edwards a “break the bank at all costs player”?

It’s hard for us to know what the cutoff should be and what the plans are.
not even close. Judah on the other hand is a player we have to keep. Losing him would be a disaster.

Is this a trick? All anyone needs to know is $, and how much some have and are willing to allocate to talent in an open market. A market they've been priced out of, at least this one, Early and visible time.

Anything else?

Yeah so the solution is “throw more money at it,” as if we aren’t talking about finite resources from a finite group of donors. And I don’t think that every player we happen to like or see value in should just get to name their price. There are limits, even if the pockets are deeper.

Anything else?
There’s a difference between not being able to pay for something, and choosing not to pay for something.

Yeah so the solution is “throw more money at it,” as if we aren’t talking about finite resources from a finite group of donors. And I don’t think that every player we happen to like or see value in should just get to name their price. There are limits, even if the pockets are deeper.
Aka, the collective need$ to do more. We've gone in a circle. Because if you think these kids will just fulfill their scholarship "obligations" out of some loyalty element for half what a competitor is paying, you'll continue to fall behind. I think Jesse in this case was worth whatever he needed to $tay. Corner$tone player for another year with the right piece$ around him to be formidable. We can revi$it in January or March when WVU is a top 3 $eed.

There’s a difference between not being able to pay for something, and choosing not to pay for something.
I couldn't agree more, and I disagree with their valuation in this case. It's the difference between NIT bubble, and seeding discussion. That has to be > $400 in value

Aka, the collective need$ to do more. We've gone in a circle. Because if you think these kids will just fulfill their scholarship "obligations" out of some loyalty element for half what a competitor is paying, you'll continue to fall behind. I think Jesse in this case was worth whatever he needed to $tay. Corner$tone player for another year with the right piece$ around him to be formidable. We can revi$it in January or March when WVU is a top 3 $eed.

What if he’s not a cornerstone player though?

I think one issue for me is the source of monies being injected into the system. There are several entities that profit from the entertainment provided by displays of athletic prowess, but they're not the ones paying NIL royalties to players. Soft money is coming from boosters specifically to influence players' decisions, not to compensate them for the use of their name, image, or likeness. Seems counterintuitive and contrary to the stated purpose of NIL.

I think one issue for me is the source of monies being injected into the system. There are several entities that profit from the entertainment provided by displays of athletic prowess, but they're not the ones paying NIL royalties to players. Soft money is coming from boosters specifically to influence players' decisions, not to compensate them for the use of their name, image, or likeness. Seems counterintuitive and contrary to the stated purpose of NIL.
Why can't those entertainment interests "donate" to a collective?

A 5th year player with his stats and post season awards? Really? You can't replace him as easily as your wounded pride might suggest

My prides not wounded because he chose a better offer. I thought he would stay prior to this past week but those expectations were always tempered. So yes it’s a little disappointing but I’ll move on. All I can do right now is have faith that we’ll find someone else in the portal who will be a good fit for whatever it is Red wants to do.

He’s a good player. He’s also pretty overrated and getting a lot of counting stats on a mediocre team isn’t the end all be all.

“Cornerstone” implys the piece upon which you build the rest of the team. He’s a fine player who I wished would stay. But… Regardless of his stats and awards I don’t think Edwards was going to be that guy.

Right, we’ve also come full circle as to telling other people how to spend their money. The great thing about these collectives is that you don’t need to be a major donor to have an impact. You can also recruit donors to contribute to the collective. So have at it. Then we can start writing blank checks to kids.

Once the fig leaf of NIL came in to excuse pay for play the floodgates opened. The new reality isn’t one SU ( more accurately SU’s boosters) can consistently compete in at a high level. Few private schools can.
I’d be more impressed with an administration that was thoughtfully planning for what happens when 40 or so schools effectively break away to become semi-pro football and basketball programs. That while keeping in mind that their primary focus is running and hopefully improving an academic institution.

Is Jesse Edwards a “break the bank at all costs player”?

It’s hard for us to know what the cutoff should be and what the plans are.
What would Billy Celuck cost in NIL? Some gift cards to Bob Evans ?

You guys don’t think he made those comments because it might actually be reality ? Just curious why there’s so many issues with what he said… fire away lol
Because its trashy and I know Syracuse basketball has that money to give to a player they deem worthy. We know he’s not, Cuse knows hes not, Jesse thinks he is.

Glad WVU had connections for him to sign in Toronto, was worried their international footprint may only span Cuba and Tijuana

Right, we’ve also come full circle as to telling other people how to spend their money. The great thing about these collectives is that you don’t need to be a major donor to have an impact. You can also recruit donors to contribute to the collective. So have at it. Then we can start writing blank checks to kids.
If the collective for Syracuse University athletics could benefit from my persinal infusion, and from those I bring with me, the sky truly is falling

Once the fig leaf of NIL came in to excuse pay for play the floodgates opened. The new reality isn’t one SU ( more accurately SU’s boosters) can consistently compete in at a high level. Few private schools can.
I’d be more impressed with an administration that was thoughtfully planning for what happens when 40 or so schools effectively break away to become semi-pro football and basketball programs. That while keeping in mind that their primary focus is running and hopefully improving an academic institution.
The final four was Miami, UConn, San Diego St, and Florida Atlantic.

We can’t compete with that?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.