Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 126 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or even….your asking new car pricing for a used vehicle. I can get more for the same somewhere else.

But like I’ve been told in the car business…there’s an ass for every seat.

That is a fact. I was a car salesman (F&I, sales manager) for 10 years. Now I’m a teacher and it’s basically the same gig without commission.

Technically it has to be pay for play. The NCAA is naive if they think that it could be anything else. The NIL collective is an arms length transaction not a total hands off transaction. Otherwise how would the collective know which players the program and coaching staff are interesting in having play at SU? There has to be some communications, but the negotiating and deals are done through the collective. But for ex in Jesse's case a conversation had to be had asking is he worth xxx$$$? The collective can't know those things without some communications with the program. For all schools. So you can dress it any way you want, but you are paying a player for their image while they are an athlete at your school, and not because they are a student at your school, even if they are on the honor roll every semester. They pay. They play.

Technically it has to be pay for play. The NCAA is naive if they think that it could be anything else. The NIL collective is an arms length transaction not a total hands off transaction. Otherwise how would the collective know which players the program and coaching staff are interesting in having play at SU? There has to be some communications, but the negotiating and deals are done through the collective. But for ex in Jesse's case a conversation had to be had asking is he worth xxx$$$? The collective can't know those things without some communications with the program. For all schools. So you can dress it any way you want, but you are paying a player for their image while they are an athlete at your school, and not because they are a student at your school, even if they are on the honor roll every semester. They pay. They play.
Yeah and this notion that NIL cannot be used to steer someone to a particular school is very dumb

No matter the "rules" some schools will find a way to bend them

So just so I can get everything straight.

Twice, Syracuse matched the NIL funds that Jesse asked for overall. Topping out at 400k.

Jesse’s odd quotes are largely attributed to covering for WVU because they tampered and offered 800k that his father encouraged him to take.

Is that everything in a nutshell?

I still can’t believe that *this* is where college sports finds itself. The schools make increasingly bananas deals based on real life advertisement dollars and eyeballs - and somehow find a way to have free agency without *actually* paying them using the tv money?!

The fans pay the free agency money?!

This is the system?!!!

*it’s all flucked*

I still can’t believe that *this* is where college sports finds itself. The schools make increasingly bananas deals based on real life advertisement dollars and eyeballs - and somehow find a way to have free agency without *actually* paying them using the tv money?!

This is the system?!!!

*it’s all flucked*

Which is partly why I don’t think the schools are in a huge rush to really fix this at the moment. They are still getting theirs. Although I have to imagine it’s starting to affect AD fundraising dollars, which does hurt the bottom line. Will also be interesting to see if tv revenues end up declining as fans start to lose interest. Think we are further away from the latter than the former, though.

This is the system?!!!

*it’s all flucked*
Yes, this is exactly the farce that is the NCAA. First, it is set up by schools to prevent the athletes from being classified as employees and now it’s set up so that the schools don’t have to pay any of their media rights money to the players.

The money needs to come from private donors. What a scam.

Last edited:
Which is partly why I don’t think the schools are in a huge rush to really fix this at the moment. They are still getting theirs. Although I have to imagine it’s starting to affect AD fundraising dollars, which does hurt the bottom line. Will also be interesting to see if tv revenues end up declining as fans start to lose interest. Think we are further away from the latter than the former, though.
It’s all untenable long term. If the TV deals go up and people are still using fan play money to pay players while universities get fatter there will be new cracks in the foundation. If the TV deals go down because the sport is less popular, why pay players? Whole thing is perverse.

Yes, this is exactly the farce that is the NCAA. First, it is set up by schools to prevent the athletes from being classified as employees and now it’s set up so that the schools don’t have to pay any of their media rights money to the players.

The money needs to come from private donors. What a scam.
If I was a billionaire, I’d get some players a lawyer to see if they can unionize and throw a real wrench into the whole thing

Maybe we're saving our $$$ for a better player. I sure hope so. Maybe some top 15 freshman in 2024. Maybe Dickinson. Maybe Judah. Who knows? Just like the pro leagues, you can't afford to pay everyone.

Maybe we're saving our $$$ for a better player. I sure hope so. Maybe some top 15 freshman in 2024. Maybe Dickinson. Maybe Judah. Who knows? Just like the pro leagues, you can't afford to pay everyone.

Right, I think what fans really don’t understand is that these collectives aren’t exactly operating like pro sports teams. If they give out $800k this year, there’s zero guarantee that money will be replenished to spend the following year.

I mean we could wait until portal seasons is done before we start slinging H0T Takes.

Not as fun or cathartic tbf tho
make it stop road trip GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.