Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 128 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe this ever happened. Nor was ever on the table. AW has probably spent more on celebrity guests that he paid to be his friend than anything he ever spent on SU sports. Ultimately, I think he's a bigger headache who promised more than he delivered.

Unfortunately, Part I, because schools are not involved with NIL, they're not going to comment on shenanigans involving NIL.

Unfortunately, Part II, they [SU specifically in this case] should have an advocate who is not officially connected with the school, but can push back on some of the one-sidedness in the public space.

Doesn't solve the second part but hopefully we are paying attention on teams adding the GM role.

We play along with the charade
There doesn't seem to be a reason to change
You know, we feel so dirty when they start talking cute
We wanna tell him that we love him,
But the point is its probably the loot

You know, we wish that we had Jessie back
We wish that we had Jessie back
We want Jessie back
Where can we find a center like that
With Jessie's height
We wish that we had Jessie back
We want, we want Jessie's presence in the middle

I'll be here all night!!

I never thought I would be saying this, but I think if I want to rekindle my Fandom, it might be the NBA. It's much more
open, and crazy as it sounds, the rosters are now much more stable. Oh, I'll probably still tune in to a game on the tube here and there. But the passion is gone. Not because syracuse has been down, but this whole portal NIL has ruined college hoops. Normally I would be very excited about Red to see what he will do. Too bad it wasn't under former times. Ok. Gotta go now and yell at some kids to get off my lawn
Try being a Nets fan.

What’s his IG account looking like? Any photos with celebrities featuring cliche quotes, and thousands of no pride having scrubby locals slobbing on him in the comments?
Weitsman was good for a recruit or two a year its something of a loss but its also a real relief to not have to see him on TV for 5 minutes of every game and have him try to be the focal point of the program. He was one step away from giving team pep talks during time outs it seemed like and since he showed up and started getting attention SU hoops has never done worse.

I don't think the local media will move on though he's still going to get non stop articles and they'll ask questions about SU of course. The only time they'll take a break will be during a game off days when we aren't playing it'll be back to covering what he had for breakfast.

Weitsman was good for a recruit or two a year its something of a loss but its also a real relief to not have to see him on TV for 5 minutes of every game and have him try to be the focal point of the program. He was one step away from giving team pep talks during time outs it seemed like and since he showed up and started getting attention SU hoops has never done worse.

I don't think the local media will move on though he's still going to get non stop articles and they'll ask questions about SU of course. The only time they'll take a break will be during a game off days when we aren't playing it'll be back to covering what he had for breakfast.
He wasn’t good for any recruits though. He was all talk.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I think if I want to rekindle my Fandom, it might be the NBA. It's much more
open, and crazy as it sounds, the rosters are now much more stable. Oh, I'll probably still tune in to a game on the tube here and there. But the passion is gone. Not because syracuse has been down, but this whole portal NIL has ruined college hoops. Normally I would be very excited about Red to see what he will do. Too bad it wasn't under former times. Ok. Gotta go now and yell at some kids to get off my lawn

The portal stuff sucks but combine that with something worse and the absolute worst thing imaginable uconn winning another title and CBB is the true suck.

A series like Sacramento-Golden State is must see TV a few series will be blowouts but most of the 16 teams playing are worth watching and everyone next round on will be very good.

Jesse is lying. Multiple reports say that he had a lucrative NIL deal in place with SU.

He covering for WVU, and himself. It’s literally 100% about NIL.

If we made an offer that wasn't accepted, why can't someone say that - officially?... and I am not talking about "an unnamed source with intimate knowledge of the offer." If they won't go on record, it's just spin.

He's the only one on record, so it's his narrative. As of now, he's said SU had no NIL plan for him and that they couldn't do anything for him.

I mean, if that's not calling a spade a spade, I don't know what is.

If no one refutes it on the record, it's hard not believe it.

That said, in no way, shape, or form do I think we should have paid $800K for him for 1 year. Ridiculous outlay by the hillbillies.

Last edited:
unless you're the nets lol

He wasn’t good for any recruits though. He was all talk.
Yeah maybe I know he was trying to take all the credit for Moore.

Everything clearly had to be about him it might not have been sustainable but read posts about the guy from 1+ month ago if anyone questioned Weitsmans contributions they would have been vehemently attacked on here.

I hope the university can someone convince the local media to tone down the coverage of his dealings and day to day lifestyle as I doubt they'll completely ignore him.

If we made an offer that wasn't accepted, why can't someone say that - officially?

He's the only one on record, so it's his narrative. As of now, he's said SU had no NIL plan for him and that they couldn't do anything for him.

If no one refutes it, it's hard to not believe it.

That said, in no way, shape, or form do I think we should have paid $800K for him for 1 year. Ridiculous outlay by the hillbillies.

Because NIL is supposedly NOT 'pay for play'. :rolleyes:

Even though we all know it absolutely is.

So, Cuse can NOT say "we offered him X to stay".

And WVU really, REALLY can't say "we offered him 2X to leave - and we did it before he ever even entered the Portal"
because that would be admitting to the tampering we all know took place here.

Jesse coulda done the right thing, and thanked Cuse and coaches for the opportunity, say how much he appreciated Orange Nation during his four years here, and that he was looking forward to a change, playing for another HOF coach, etc -
all the usual platitudes that classy people normally do and say in these situations.

Instead, he said what he said.
"it's not about the NIL"
When it was 144% about the NIL

Which is why you'll note the glaring lack of a thank you tweet to him from Red or Cuse hoops, etc.
(like they did for JGIII)

Because this is how Jesse and his Dad left town:

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

I hope WVU loses every game by a million next season.

Last edited:
Schools are prohibited by the NCAA from being involved in NIL. It's a fine line because everyone knows what's happening, but coaches, and especially schools, are absolutely not going to make a public comment on NIL specifics.

They will stop covering anything he says about SU sports once the hoop team starts winning.

If we made an offer that wasn't accepted, why can't someone say that - officially?... and I am not talking about "an unnamed source with intimate knowledge of the offer." If they won't go on record, it's just spin.

If no one refutes it on the record, it's hard not believe it.

SU is not going to discuss NIL offers. Period.

People know that Edwards and his family accepted an offer. Then they reneged.

Jesse is lying.

It is what it is.

Because NIL is supposedly NOT 'pay for play'. :rolleyes:

Even though we all know it absolutely is.

So, Cuse can NOT say "we offered him X to stay".

And WVU really, REALLY can't say "we offered him 2X to leave - and we did it before he ever even entered the Portal"
because that would be admitting to the tampering we all know took place here.

Jesse coulda done the right thing, and thanked Cuse and coaches for the opportunity, say how much he appreciated Orange Nation during his four years here, and that he was looking forward to a change, playing for another HOF coach, etc -
all the usual platitudes that classy people normally do and say in these situations.

Instead, he said what he said.
"it's not about the NIL"
When it was 144% about the NIL

Which is why you'll note the glaring lack of a thank you tweet to him from Red or Cuse hoops, etc.
(like they did for JGIII)

Because this is how Jesse and his Dad left town:

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

I hope WVU loses every game by a million next season.
Great post. And, of course, the 'pay for play' aspect is a large factor in why the school distanced itself from a certain booster recently. It's hard to refute that when one is posting Insta pics of a HS kid on private plane flying to campus. And when the NCAA says the standard is guilty unless you really, really, super duper prove you're innocent, well... you get what we've seen.

SU is not going to discuss NIL offers. Period.

People know that Edwards and his family accepted an offer. Then they reneged.

Jesse is lying.

It is what it is.
400,000 dollars is a lot of money. Maybe Jesse did agree initially and then people got in his fathers ear and said he is worth considerably more than what Syracuse was willing to give him. When he went portal a bidding war ensued and ended up at $800,000. Syracuse could have paid more, they thought he wasn't worth it.

FWIW, if one wishes that SU kept matching or exceeding outside offers for Edwards, that's certainly fine. It's not a position everyone is going to agree with, for a multitude of reasons, but it's not totally outlandish.

And if one wishes that SU decided to thumb their nose at the NCAA and let the chips fall, that's also a defensible position. We can discuss the pros and cons of that.

But what I can't bear are the repeated refrains that SU leadership is incompetent, or what they've done was totally random, or that they're not committed to trying to succeed in this new world. None of that is true. There are reasons for every recent decision they've made. Extremely logical and defensible ones.

As a famous New Yorker once said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

1) Jesse wanted to stay
2) we had plenty of $ to offer him
3) we chose that specific, perfectly reasonable amount (I hadn’t heard 400k, I thought a little lower)
4) Jesse countered, we didn’t match
5) Jesse/his parents don’t want to be seen a certain way, so on their way out, they are framing it like this.

Way too much back and forth when it’s a fairly simple matter.

1) Jesse wanted to stay
2) we had plenty of $ to offer him
3) we chose that specific, perfectly reasonable amount (I hadn’t heard 400k, I thought a little lower)
4) Jesse countered, we didn’t match
5) Jesse/his parents don’t want to be seen a certain way, so on their way out, they are framing it like this.

Way too much back and forth when it’s a fairly simple matter.

That sounds like a reasonable surmise.

I guess we'll see over time if we can compete in NIL... the proof will be on the roster.

With all the smoke and mirrors on offers and whatnot and the radio silence and unnamed sources, there is no way to gauge what we're actually doing... and that would seem by design. So be it.

Unfortunately, this was a business transaction in which the buyer (SU NIL) didnt want to pay the service provider (Jesse) an amount the buyer determined was excessive compensation. Nothing more, nothing less. It reflects the current landscape of college basketball. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.