Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 127 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gmac and CJ Fair among countless others that have come through this program that didn’t sniff the NBA would be worth it in this current climate.
I agree….but those guys were also among the best players on champions or final four teams. I think it’s different when the team is already proven to be good. You want to maintain continuity.

For the record, we can and will pay. We will not overpay.

Draw your own conclusions…
With a roster as small as basketball’s are all it takes is 5 schools to overpay our targets and all we’ll get are the scraps that won’t get overpaid and our sub .500 season is going to say “hold my beer”.

I agree….but those guys were also among the best players on champions or final four teams. I think it’s different when the team is good.
Can the team get good by not retaining guys like Jesse? If we lose Judah we lose the only three guys worth anything on the roster. As it sits right now, we’re worse than Louisville was last year.

With a roster as small as basketball’s are all it takes is 5 schools to overpay our targets and all we’ll get are the scraps that won’t get overpaid and our sub .500 season is going to say “hold my beer”.
Wanna overpay for a Judah…ok. Granted I’m not, nor ever have been a fan of Jessie’s game. 800k for him is bonkers.

If I was a billionaire, I’d get some players a lawyer to see if they can unionize and throw a real wrench into the whole thing
As long as it’s the wild wild west we’re essentially seeing guys become free agents year after year after year, the more wild it is the more it benefits the players. I wouldn’t do that until the NCAA attempts to step in.

Can the team get good by not retaining guys like Jesse? If we lose Judah we lose the only three guys worth anything on the roster. As it sits right now, we’re worse than Louisville was last year.
Only if we bring in better players.

Losing Jesse and relying on what we have right now…..the only way that would be acceptable is if we have a superstar center lined up for the following year who needs the path cleared. The only way I’d punt on a year.

Otherwise, we definitely need to get somebody.

Wanna overpay for a Judah…ok. Granted I’m not, nor ever have been a fan of Jessie’s game. 800k for him is bonkers.
This is really the ground floor of NIL we really don’t know what overpaying or market value is. If somebody pays Jesse 800k this year then next year a similar player is going to want more next year and he’ll get it. If the universities are involved with NIL then you really need to start figuring out how much value a player brings to the university. If we’re packing the dome every game because we’re good and have great players then 800k for Jesse is a bargain, if we have a Georgetown or Louisville record the roi on any player is going to be putrid. This is why I don’t understand why AW was kicked to the curb. Let him buy a few teams, we get what we want, he gets what he wants and maybe down the line when we do have the buzz and the record to back it it’ll create more energy to the program and more money comes in.

This program needs some big time energy and we all were very excited not long ago, I really think we’re in trouble right now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Jesse didn't create this mess of a system but he would be a fool to not take advantage of it.

He is a smart guy who, in addition to hoops, came to SU to get his degree. He did. It is the norm to do your graduate work in science at a different school than the one where you got your degree. It just stands out in this case because of basketball being the over-riding factor..

Let's say that, as has been mentioned, that we offered $350K and someone else came in at $750K. IF...IF...that is true, then consider the following:

G-League players get $40K. Two-way G League players get $500K.

Even had he stayed at SU he would have made far more than the average G-Leaguer AND he now stands to make more next year than Buddy or Cole.

There aren't many young single people who, if everything else was equal, wouldn't jump at an offer that was twice what they were making at their current job. Even if they liked their company. So I get it. He comes from Amsterdam, one of my very favorite cities in the world. A place where everyone is physically fit, the women are beautiful, and the houses are tiny. I have no idea what his family situation is like but who knows if that plays a factor. Did his Dad push him in this direction? Perhaps, but he didn't Devito us by bailing in mid-season.

As he is a fellow Syracuse grad, I hope he does very well in life. As with any guy who leaves, I will pay very little attention to him at his new school but at the same time I will secretly hope that he plays for Boeheim's Army somewhere down the road. I mean, he owes us that, right? In the sense that he owes us anything at all in this crazy new paradigm. To quote Ron Burgandy, as it pertains to how NIL has exploded: "Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast."

I mourn the loss of Jesse's talent but I have moved on.

Don't begrudge him leaving.

At least it's not G'town.

Enjoy Morgantown young lad.

To channel Steve Harvey, now you know the rest of the story.

IMG_1703.jpeg

Thank you Paul!!

This is really the ground floor of NIL we really don’t know what overpaying or market value is. If somebody pays Jesse 800k this year then next year a similar player is going to want more next year and he’ll get it. If the universities are involved with NIL then you really need to start figuring out how much value a player brings to the university. If we’re packing the dome every game because we’re good and have great players then 800k for Jesse is a bargain, if we have a Georgetown or Louisville record the roi on any player is going to be putrid. This is why I don’t understand why AW was kicked to the curb. Let him buy a few teams, we get what we want, he gets what he wants and maybe down the line when we do have the buzz and the record to back it it’ll create more energy to the program and more money comes in.

This program needs some big time energy and we all were very excited not long ago, I really think we’re in trouble right now.
Was Adam ever going to offer Jesse 800k? Was he going to offer Dickinson 1M? 2 guys who are likely not going to be in the NBA?

He said he was paying big money for guys with star lower, like Zion. Sorry but Jesse, snd even HD, are no Zion. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t give some cash, but he’s likely not saving the day considering the VERY limited ROI for him on both those guys.

As for the value, Syracuse didn’t decide it was too much, clearly the collective did. If you want to blame anyone it would appear you should be blaming your fellow fans, which begs the question: how much were you willing to add to the Jesse pot?

Syracuse didn’t decide it was too much, clearly the collective did. If you want to blame anyone it would appear you should be blaming your fellow fans, which begs the question: how much were you willing to add to the Jesse pot?

Did we not offer enough or did we pass on him completely due the the international visa and related concerns??

Based on his comments, it sounds like the latter...

Edwards told ESPN. “NIL isn’t what I’m playing for. I didn’t really want to get into this, but it doesn’t seem that Syracuse as an organization is that into that. I’m not really sure what their plan is or what the school’s idea is behind it. For me it was something that they couldn’t offer in that way.”

We had Jesse last season.

We didnt pack the dome.
We lost to Bryant and Colgate.
We didnt make the tournament.
He wasn’t our most important player, nor was he who we went to in crunch time.
We met his asking price, he then was offered double that by WVU.

If you’re a money manager do you pay twice asking for familiarity? Haven’t heard anything that makes me think SU screwed up here.

Im ok with saying see ya and reallocating the funds towards a true big and sweetening the pot for Judah.

Did we not offer enough or did we pass on him completely due the the international visa and related concerns??

Edwards told ESPN. “NIL isn’t what I’m playing for. I didn’t really want to get into this, but it doesn’t seem that Syracuse as an organization is that into that. I’m not really sure what their plan is or what the school’s idea is behind it. For me it was something that they couldn’t offer in that way.”
That’s certainly possible, but there have already been reports that they figured it out from .com reporters

That’s certainly possible, but there have already been reports that they figured it out from .com reporters

There seems to be some conflicting information about this, so hard to know for sure.

I never thought I would be saying this, but I think if I want to rekindle my Fandom, it might be the NBA. It's much more
open, and crazy as it sounds, the rosters are now much more stable. Oh, I'll probably still tune in to a game on the tube here and there. But the passion is gone. Not because syracuse has been down, but this whole portal NIL has ruined college hoops. Normally I would be very excited about Red to see what he will do. Too bad it wasn't under former times. Ok. Gotta go now and yell at some kids to get off my lawn

The Dutch are known for being a very blunt culture “Dutch Directness.” I think his comments really boil down to the cultural differences.

We had Jesse last season.

We didnt pack the dome.
We lost to Bryant and Colgate.
We didnt make the tournament.
He wasn’t our most important player, nor was he who we went to in crunch time.
We met his asking price, he then was offered double that by WVU.

If you’re a money manager do you pay twice asking for familiarity? Haven’t heard anything that makes me think SU screwed up here.

Im ok with saying see ya and reallocating the funds towards a true big and sweetening the pot for Judah.
I think we can replace Jesse easier than Joe's shooting.

Jesse is lying. Multiple reports say that he had a lucrative NIL deal in place with SU.

He covering for WVU, and himself. It’s literally 100% about NIL.

This is why I don’t understand why AW was kicked to the curb. Let him buy a few teams, we get what we want, he gets what he wants and maybe down the line when we do have the buzz and the record to back it it’ll create more energy to the program and more money comes in.
I don't believe this ever happened. Nor was ever on the table. AW has probably spent more on celebrity guests that he paid to be his friend than anything he ever spent on SU sports. Ultimately, I think he's a bigger headache who promised more than he delivered.

Unfortunately, Part I, because schools are not involved with NIL, they're not going to comment on shenanigans involving NIL.

Unfortunately, Part II, they [SU specifically in this case] should have an advocate who is not officially connected with the school, but can push back on some of the one-sidedness in the public space.

Status
Not open for further replies.