Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 129 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the smoke and mirrors on offers and whatnot and the radio silence and unnamed sources, there is no way to gauge what we're actually doing... and that would seem by design. So be it.
It doesn’t seem by design, it IS by design. As it should be. It is naive to expect otherwise. Those hoping for public confirmation and comment from administration regarding any specifics on NIL as it relates to recruiting or donors or whatever else gets tossed around here will continue to be disappointed.

Unfortunately, this was a business transaction in which the buyer (SU NIL) didnt want to pay the service provider (Jesse) an amount the buyer determined was excessive compensation. Nothing more, nothing less. It reflects the current landscape of college basketball. :(
Maybe a little more... it could also be that no one likes dealing with someone who's acting in bad faith. Once a deal is made, there's going to be reticence to keep revisiting it, even if the "buyer" has the means to do so.

If we made an offer that wasn't accepted, why can't someone say that - officially?... and I am not talking about "an unnamed source with intimate knowledge of the offer." If they won't go on record, it's just spin.

He's the only one on record, so it's his narrative. As of now, he's said SU had no NIL plan for him and that they couldn't do anything for him.

I mean, if that's not calling a spade a spade, I don't know what is.

If no one refutes it on the record, it's hard not believe it.

That said, in no way, shape, or form do I think we should have paid $800K for him for 1 year. Ridiculous outlay by the hillbillies.

This is such odd thinking since what you described is exactly what happens all the time. SU is in the very least taking the high road and also likely deciding not to share personal information about a former student. Which is kind of a no-no.

FB is full of angry parents blasting their local school districts for trivial things that are embellished and one sided. Does that mean that in all of those situations the school district is wrong because they choose not to or legally can’t respond?

Very weird take given the obvious differences between who is allowed to share whatever they want; real or not and the side that has to toe the line in the very least.

I've always said I'm not rooting for Jesse but if I was a 22 year old that already had my degree and played the last two years on a non-tournament team and someone blinked and agreed to pay me double what I am probably worth, I am taking that money. 1400+ are looking for that payday. Jesse is one of few who ate getting the golden goose. Good for him for now. Later on it might bite him.

Remaining questions

Do they have the internet and stores in WV to spend his new cash on

How different is Europe from Morgantown

Did Dad get an agent fee

Did Huggins sign off on Jesse, seems like not his type of player

Remaining questions

Do they have the internet and stores in WV to spend his new cash on

How different is Europe from Morgantown

Did Dad get an agent fee

Did Huggins sign off on Jesse, seems like not his type of player
His father will spend all of the money.

Edwards doesn't go to campus without Huggins giving him an invite so that's what he's looking for.

The Dutch are known for being a very blunt culture “Dutch Directness.” I think his comments really boil down to the cultural differences.
Which part? The part where he says it’s isn’t about the NIl money or the part where he alleges we aren’t interested in doing NIL?

Both of which are flat untrue.

Are Dutch habitual liars too?

1) Jesse wanted to stay
2) we had plenty of $ to offer him
3) we chose that specific, perfectly reasonable amount (I hadn’t heard 400k, I thought a little lower)
4) Jesse countered, we didn’t match
5) Jesse/his parents don’t want to be seen a certain way, so on their way out, they are framing it like this.

Way too much back and forth when it’s a fairly simple matter.
I’m pretty sure they figured we’d match the WVU offer.

It doesn’t seem by design, it IS by design. As it should be. It is naive to expect otherwise. Those hoping for public confirmation and comment from administration regarding any specifics on NIL as it relates to recruiting or donors or whatever else gets tossed around here will continue to be disappointed.

First rule about fight club...

But the lesson on this episode is players can shoot their mouths off about it and it doesn't even need to be true, evidently.

The Dutch are known for being a very blunt culture “Dutch Directness.” I think his comments really boil down to the cultural differences.
Have zero knowledge of the subject but I def have thought about that.

I’m pretty sure they figured we’d match the WVU offer.

69086b676debf8b7bdb63475d2c41d09.jpg

Can the team get good by not retaining guys like Jesse? If we lose Judah we lose the only three guys worth anything on the roster. As it sits right now, we’re worse than Louisville was last year.
JJ is ranked higher than Joe in the overall transfer portal rankings.

True, I think he is capable of being much better than Joe, but last year wasn’t great for JJ. Maybe I’m just being cautious from expecting too much from him. Joe did well last year considering the way he was guarded.

Really felt Brey did a God awful job coaching last year too. His rotations were perplexing. Obviously that got worse once he was being given the boot mid season. He did a poor job making things work for their whole backcourt really. Ryan took a step back after a much better year prior.

True, I think he is capable of being much better than Joe, but last year wasn’t great for JJ. Maybe I’m just being cautious from expecting too much from him. Joe did well last year considering the way he was guarded.
JJ did make the ACC’s all freshman team. I think the biggest difference for me is JJ’s athleticism and driving ability. Obviously Joe is a great shooter and an experienced player, so we’ll certainly miss that. But if we’re playing man to man next season, I think Joe would be a liability.

JJ did make the ACC’s all freshman team. I think the biggest difference for me is JJ’s athleticism and driving ability. Obviously Joe is a great shooter and an experienced player, so we’ll certainly miss that. But if we’re playing man to man next season, I think Joe would be a liability.
Agree with all of this.

I want to lock teams up. Red is getting those types of players. Even if there's growing pains, I'm very happy to notice the trend.

Great post. And, of course, the 'pay for play' aspect is a large factor in why the school distanced itself from a certain booster recently. It's hard to refute that when one is posting Insta pics of a HS kid on private plane flying to campus. And when the NCAA says the standard is guilty unless you really, really, super duper prove you're innocent, well... you get what we've seen.
A nd the only punishment was 3 games for a Miami women's coach, because the Cavinder twins were introduced to Ruiz.
If the girls who already had extensive NIL
had decided to sue the NCAA would have said sorry we apologize.

A nd the only punishment was 3 games for a Miami women's coach, because the Cavinder twins were introduced to Ruiz.
And by the way they already had the WWE in their corner, so wouldn't have a problem
With lawyers.
Maybe now that they aren't in school and going to the WWE they will go back and knock on the NCAA'S door.

It would have been absolutely hysterical if Boeheim got suspended over a Weitsman transgression.

Status
Not open for further replies.