Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard would it be to schedule a game in Canada. All you need are passports (and we know Jesse has one) and a gym. You don't even need to sell tickets.
Canada has laws about who can earn money in their country. Not sure a kid from the Netherlands on an American work visa can earn 300k in Canada in a weekend.

People aren't invested because we aren't winning. If we were still a force our fans would be mocking the also rans. The outrage over the system is a cover for those who don't watch/support when we stink.
Good post.

Look no further than our football program. Most of the time people are wailing about conference realignment, and NIL, and transfers, and how the sport has been ruined. Then we have a good season (2018) or a good stretch (6-0 to start last year) and all that talk dissapates.

If it's late January 2024 and we're in the top three of the ACC and in the top 25 I bet we won't be reading a lot of posts about how people hate college sports.

I don't disagree with that... just saying the idea of the international factor not mattering is inaccurate.
I don't think there are any rules anymore. Definitely seems like the Wild, Wild West. Can Red Autry turn into Wyatt Earp or Bass Reeves overnight?

I’m not about to blame his parents. If our collective made a deal worth X and some other collective came along and said they’d get him 2x, why is that the parents fault? As to the interview, Donna reached out to the father.
But he wasn’t in the portal and there weren’t any other offers. That’s tampering if there were. That means something immoral was happening if there was. So what you don’t know usually don’t hurt. And as a parent you usually just want your kids to be happy right ? Jesse is such a great young man and I’m surprised his dad is influencing him this much when there is no truth to what other offers there are…

Going to play pro is a completely different story. I’m good with that narrative. This one I’m not so sure about

And you’re acting like Syracuse is going to fail forever.

I never said that, what I did and what I am saying is that without an upper level NIL program and multiple big money donors SUs gonna struggle to be a perennial top 20 team like we were most of the last 30 years. It's already cost us Edward's, thats a terrible sign for pur prospects moving forward.

Judah is the ballgame, not Jesse.

All due respect to Jesse, a guy who put up efficiency numbers that were off the charts (and anyone that follows my posts knows how much that means to me), if he wants a huge payday, all the luck to him.

IMO, a solid big, if we get Judah back, and another wing in the portal, we’ll be good.

Hope Jesse comes back, truly. But we need Judah.

Judahs not coming back, that ship has long since sailed.

Good post.

Look no further than our football program. Most of the time people are wailing about conference realignment, and NIL, and transfers, and how the sport has been ruined. Then we have a good season (2018) or a good stretch (6-0 to start last year) and all that talk dissapates.

If it's late January 2024 and we're in the top three of the ACC and in the top 25 I bet we won't be reading a lot of posts about how people hate college sports.
Agreed. If every time something bad happens you whine and bitch and get into petty arguments like a 7th grader - like 35% of posters above - may be time to reassess things a bit.

Canada has laws about who can earn money in their country. Not sure a kid from the Netherlands on an American work visa can earn 300k in Canada in a weekend.
Why can't the money be funneled into a secret bank account in the Cayman Island. Where is Tristan when you need him. He claimed to be an international man of mystery.

What’s really sad is that college sports is now one big free agency without rules. At least in professional sports there are rules, caps and guidelines. There’s nothing in collegiate sports to create competitive balance. This is basically year two. It can only get worse.

I never said that, what I did and what I am saying is that without an upper level NIL program and multiple big money donors SUs gonna struggle to be a perennial top 20 team like we were most of the last 30 years. It's already cost us Edward's, thats a terrible sign for pur prospects moving forward.
You're arguing with someone who gets off on arguing with people. Better to just move along.

But he wasn’t in the portal and there weren’t any other offers. That’s tampering if there were. That means something immoral was happening if there was. So what you don’t know usually don’t hurt. And as a parent you usually just want your kids to be happy right ? Jesse is such a great young man and I’m surprised his dad is influencing him this much when there is no truth to what other offers there are…

Going to play pro is a completely different story. I’m good with that narrative. This one I’m not so sure about

You’re absolutely right. If a school reached out to him already it’s certainly tampering as others have pointed out. We’ve seen articles about pissed coaches over tampering. I’m also not sure his parents are making him do anything. Jesse is an adult and a smart kid. If he didn’t care about NIL he’d just not enter the portal.

I may be off here, but it seems like the loophole to pay a foreign player NIL money is to simply set up a deal in their home country.
You’re correct and obviously, SU couldn’t get it done. It looks like someone else will.

I’ll be worried when I see what he’s worth versus what he thinks he is. If he wants 1 million because that’s what Syracuse was looking to offer Dickinson (total guess, not saying it is true) then he is free to leave, he isn’t worth the same as Dickinson. Hunter is a far more rounded player with an outside shot and more strength inside. If he wanted 250k and it couldn’t be found, then that is a cause for concern

haven't read all 23 pages that have materialized since yesterday afternoon, but my first thought is that SU isn't able to get him paid by means that aren't "above board", so he's looking to see what schools are out there that are willing skirt the rules to get him paid.

I know you’re just busting my chops, like you’ve done ever since I photo bombed your family picture, but in general you’re right. I know people are frustrated, upset, mad and that people always need to point a finger at someone to place blame. But as I’ve said in another post, SU has been promoting, and pushing for, donations for NIL. Articles, emails, interviews, meeting with businesses and individuals. If “we” have a shortage of NIL across the board, it’s not SU, it’s not coaches, it’s people who do or don’t donate to NIL efforts. It’s us the fans/donors/boosters.

So buck up buttercup.
Earlier in this thread I said SU couldn’t play the NIL game. I was told that isn’t true. It is. It’s unfortunate, but true. And, if you’re analytical, it means exactly what we all might think it means for the program. It’s not looking good.

You’re correct and obviously, SU couldn’t get it done. It looks like someone else will.

Or they could and someone else did better.

Does Cooley need a center at Georgetown? If i'm Jesse and my mind was made up to try another school for a year i'd be looking at great academic institutions, vibrant/dynamic area to live for a year, and a coach who can win.

Another theory is do we know if he suddenly broke up with his gf? wasn't that a factor in him staying? If he broke up and she's sticking around he may want to leave pronto too. It feels like more than money is pulling him away so suddenly.
Did you just suggest he go to Gtown? What is wrong with you? Are you trying to give us all strokes?

Earlier in this thread I said SU couldn’t play the NIL game. I was told that isn’t true. It is. It’s unfortunate, but true. And, if you’re analytical, it means exactly what we all might think it means for the program. It’s not looking good.

Only one poster said you were wrong. And he was wrong, not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom