Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
The board has its AW admirers, and I get it… but Im not sure I admire his sharing of these details between him and the chancellor. Makes us, the dumpster fire, look even moreso like a dumpster fire.

If AW can’t save us, he may make sure no one can
Easy to see why he and JB get along so well

;)

For starters, it is an unfair comparison.

I'm assuming that most people on the board don't realize that Phil Knight's generosity to Oregon goes wayyyy beyond athletics. In the past 7 years, he has donated $1 Billion...that's Billion with a "B" kiddies...for Biomedical Research at the University of Oregon (his alma mater). He has also donated heavily to Stanford. That's a far cry from a guy in Skaneateles who blabs to the media about spending $1M to buy basketball players for SU.

I'm not knocking Weitsman but it is telling that he is going public and saying things about a Chancellor that, by his own admission, he has never even met. Even Melo, whose name is on The Artist Formally Known as Manley Field House, does his SU philanthropy in a low-key manner. CTO has donated and doesn't feel the need to be in your face about it. Nor do countless alums and fans who donate.
Great post. This guy gets it.

If someone wants to pay filet price for sirloin then thats up to them.

Also - to Dasher’s point… look at your instagram and twitter cuse pages right now. Weitsman’s making this blow up. Bad look for the University and imo bad look for him too. No doubt cuse fans are up in arms though. Mess. Dumpster meet fire.

This is what happens though when you don’t have very strong deliberate leadership in your University’s athletic department.
Symptom of an administration that can't get a halftime ceremony right

For starters, it is an unfair comparison.

I'm assuming that most people on the board don't realize that Phil Knight's generosity to Oregon goes wayyyy beyond athletics. In the past 7 years, he has donated $1 Billion...that's Billion with a "B" kiddies...for Biomedical Research at the University of Oregon (his alma mater). He has also donated heavily to Stanford. That's a far cry from a guy in Skaneateles who blabs to the media about spending $1M to buy basketball players for SU.

I'm not knocking Weitsman but it is telling that he is going public and saying things about a Chancellor that, by his own admission, he has never even met. Even Melo, whose name is on The Artist Formally Known as Manley Field House, does his SU philanthropy in a low-key manner. CTO has donated and doesn't feel the need to be in your face about it. Nor do countless alums and fans who donate.
Here's the thing, though. We don't have a Phil Knight.

The reason you feel we are sinking is because this was a bomb on the program. Contrary to what the Kaiser had to say, Jesse is a very good basketball player at a position we won't easily replace. It doesn't fell like this should have happened.
Agree. He was the one guy I didn't want to lose. I don't want to lose Judah but there are good point guards out there. Or at least ones who could work for us.

It isn't like centers who average a double-double are a tradition at SU and those in the portal who can do that will be surrounded like rabbits at a wolf convention.

Had he gone pro, well that happens. He was graduating, so congrats on the degree Jesse and good luck in your future endeavors.

But to hit the portal and go elsewhere? That hurts. A lot.

I’m sorry, I’ve tried to hold off posting much about this, but AW is simply all about himself. I don’t blame the school one bit for cutting ties. I know for a fact we have other NIL people we can turn to.

Jesse leaving was about us having a $ limit, and him realizing other schools could easily beat it. Can’t blame him.

Honestly, whether he does great things for the community or not, crap like this is why people don’t like or trust AW. I have my issues with SU, and I think lack of structure and a strong NIL plan led them to today, but this is bushleague.

None of this is against Neil. It’s his job to report.

Agree. He was the one guy I didn't want to lose. I don't want to lose Judah but there are good point guards out there. Or at least ones who could work for us.

It isn't like centers who average a double-double are a tradition at SU and those in the portal who can do that will be surrounded like rabbits at a wolf convention.

Had he gone pro, well that happens. He was graduating, so congrats on the degree Jesse and good luck in your future endeavors.

But to hit the portal and go elsewhere? That hurts. A lot.
The fact that Jesse is leaving because of NIL means we have no shot at top notch transfers.

I’m sorry, I’ve tried to hold off posting much about this, but AW is simply all about himself. I don’t blame the school one bit for cutting ties. I know for a fact we have other NIL people we can turn to.

Jesse leaving was about us having a $ limit, and him realizing other schools could easily beat it. Can’t blame him.

That limit is very worrisome.. at least in the short term. Can't be throwing stupid money... but it doesn't do us much good if we can't compete for the talent level needed to be relevant again either.

I’ve been wondering this too.

Complete conjecture on my part, but if all players in college basketball are free agents basically, then you have to manage the team salary. If Jesse is being offered a crazy amount, maybe the team feels they can get a comparable center for less money and spend the difference on a different position.
that's what I'm hoping. We won't get a comparable center but maybe in terms of roster management as it pertains to $$$, maybe were the ones who stepped away from the table.

A team who is one good man away from being great can throw a lot at getting that one good big man. We are not in that position.

Not related to basketball or NIL but still kinda relevant to everything Syracuse lately it seems...how in the heck were we the last program in the ACC to hire a nutritionist? Can we be proactive and not reactive? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Again, amateurish. I've been unimpressed with the AD and a lack of competitive fire. I think JW's contract is up in 2025.

That limit is very worrisome.. at least in the short term. Can't be throwing stupid money... but it doesn't do us much good if we can't compete for the talent level needed to be relevant again either.
I'm sure we have other NIL people that can cover AW's nickels and dimes.

He isn't completely about himself, he wants to help, but he does enjoy the spotlight. If that isn't what the university wants, they are within their right to stop him. But, nobody seems to be stepping up. He would have kept Jesse here.

Ironic if he went to Georgia. Anselm went to Georgia because he didn't want to sit behind Jesse. Frank must be happy to see his team pursuing centers in the portal. It's a dog-eat-dog world.

Ironic if he went to Georgia. Anselm went to Georgia because he didn't want to sit behind Jesse. Frank must be happy to see his team pursuing centers in the portal. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
No free lunch

I emailed JW this spring about a couple of issues and he responded. He was all excited about a change in the strength and conditioning program for football and hiring a nutritionist. My thoughts were this should have been done ten years ago. This University just thinks small and slowly.

I emailed JW this spring about a couple of issues and he responded. He was all excited about a change in the strength and conditioning program for football and hiring a nutritionist. My thoughts were this should have been done ten years ago. This University just thinks small and slowly.

I wonder if there are NIL deals that don't get done for football now too and gut wrenching portal activity to come there too..

Status
Not open for further replies.