Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine. There's a big delta between that and the rampant reports that many in the administration were nervous as hell about his ways.

I really don't want to slag a guy that a lot of people here worship as a savior of CNY. And I don't doubt that he's done immense good in the community. I'll just note that one does not become a billionaire by (a) not being utterly obsessed with money, and (b) not bending a few rules here and there.
Undoubtedly they didn't like how public he was. And, they didn't like the attention he brought when bringing celebrities to games.

Fine. There's a big delta between that and the rampant reports that many in the administration were nervous as hell about his ways.

I really don't want to slag a guy that a lot of people here worship as a savior of CNY. And I don't doubt that he's done immense good in the community. I'll just note that one does not become a billionaire by (a) not being utterly obsessed with money, and (b) not bending a few rules here and there.
What rules?! Are you completely oblivious to the NIL landscape?

Lets focus on the bigger picture: it’s jesse edwards.

jesse fluckin edwards.

this is a kid who 10 years ago would’ve got 0 minutes his 1st 2 years and somewhere between 5-10 as an upperclassman if we inexplicably didnt recruit over him…and speaking of recruiting…he wouldn’t have even been looked at 20-30 years ago.

he has zero shot at the nba and if he goes to Europe…whatever, good bye, roughly 4K graduate from Cuse each year, I don’t care or follow what any of them do.

so some school cheated rage portal and illegally offered him $$ to sit their bench as role player insurance policy?? Good for him, take $$, join the LIV I don’t care, goo$bye…you sucked.

the team needed an enema, we really didn’t get it with Red, so let’s get it by dropping the players who didnt win and make the tourney anyway.

someone send him a bill for $300k too…

While I think the language here may be a bit harsh, I agree with the general idea with this post.

I'm not saying I don't want Jesse back or Jesse stinks... but I think we can be ok with the right moves after Jesse.

Jesse doesn't want to leave, but he would be a fool to stay if he could get 2 or 3 times what we are offering in NIL.
Think 2x or 3x would be matchable, even for us. Hope it was another zero.

Think 2x or 3x would be matchable, even for us. Hope it was another zero.
I don't know the numbers, but clearly we aren't in the ballpark, because ballpark likely keeps him here.

If Phil Knight had an issue with the Oregon Chancellor and threatened to pull funding, they'd be on the phone or personally go to his residence.
For starters, it is an unfair comparison.

I'm assuming that most people on the board don't realize that Phil Knight's generosity to Oregon goes wayyyy beyond athletics. In the past 7 years, he has donated $1 Billion...that's Billion with a "B" kiddies...for Biomedical Research at the University of Oregon (his alma mater). He has also donated heavily to Stanford. That's a far cry from a guy in Skaneateles who blabs to the media about spending $1M to buy basketball players for SU.

I'm not knocking Weitsman but it is telling that he is going public and saying things about a Chancellor that, by his own admission, he has never even met. Even Melo, whose name is on The Artist Formally Known as Manley Field House, does his SU philanthropy in a low-key manner. CTO has donated and doesn't feel the need to be in your face about it. Nor do countless alums and fans who donate.

If someone wants to pay filet price for sirloin then thats up to them.

Also - to Dasher’s point… look at your instagram and twitter cuse pages right now. Weitsman’s making this blow up. Bad look for the University and imo bad look for him too. No doubt cuse fans are up in arms though. Mess. Dumpster meet fire.

This is what happens though when you don’t have very strong deliberate leadership in your University’s athletic department.

If Jesse wants to play for Syracuse but his father is dictating this decision than his dad is a huge loser and part of a bad problem in youth and college sports

If someone wants to pay filet price for sirloin then thats up to them.

Also - to Dasher’s point… look at your instagram and twitter cuse pages right now. Weitsman’s making this blow up. Bad look for the University and imo bad look for him too. No doubt cuse fans are up in arms though. Mess. Dumpster meet fire.

This is what happens though when you don’t have very strong deliberate leadership in your University’s athletic department.
I thought the drama was suppose to leave when JB left….hmmm

One definite takeaway from reading this thread is how many people haven't donated to either of the respective collectives that are currently up and running. If you haven't, it is something to think about no matter the amount. Every bit helps.

We know where we stand in this current NIL climate and it is up to the alumni/fans to level the playing field as much as possible. Expectations of a few big wallets saving the day will probably not come to fruition, so it is up to the masses, which includes us as we are the ones who care about the on-field product.

This was a good article by the PS interviewing NIL experts. It sounds like we couldn’t get him a safe deal in his home country that wouldn’t jeopardize his visa status. Maybe another school collective or booster has more and better contacts there and better developed NIL infrastructure to make those deals separate from the school. Our coaches and administrators can’t be involved in facilitating, so the Syracuse-area people who are helping might not have the resources/contacts. That would be an understandable explanation.

per the PS:
Collectives or deep-pocketed businesspeople who want to see the athletic department they support succeed have used various methods to pay international athletes on F-1 visas. The safest way for international athletes to make NIL money is to set up something in their home countries. David Edwards said ideally that would have happened with Jesse and Syracuse.

“The 100% safe thing that everyone can do is you can go home to your home country, be physically home and do a deal with a brand there and get paid there,” Dosh said. “If everything happens in your home country, no problems. The problem is doing it while you’re on U.S. soil.”

Last edited:
While I think the language here may be a bit harsh, I agree with the general idea with this post.

I'm not saying I don't want Jesse back or Jesse stinks... but I think we can be ok with the right moves after Jesse.
especially with how Red apparently wants to play

Not related to basketball or NIL but still kinda relevant to everything Syracuse lately it seems...how in the heck were we the last program in the ACC to hire a nutritionist? Can we be proactive and not reactive? I don't think that's too much to ask.

Remember when Justin Moore was coming to Syracuse
We were going to have a roster of Judah/JJ/Moore/Dickinson/Jesse. Instead of Moore and Judah we have Niko Ruffin and Shane Feldman, and instead of Jesse we have William Patterson.

Ben Stiller Basketball GIF

I think Pitino is going to have first dibs on NIL money in NYC.
You very well may be correct on that.
P isn’t a shy guy as we all know.
The lines he plays within are spaced appropriately to his needs, still a giant of a coach!

The board has its AW admirers, and I get it… but Im not sure I admire his sharing of these details between him and the chancellor. Makes us, the dumpster fire, look even moreso like a dumpster fire.

If AW can’t save us, he may make sure no one can

Status
Not open for further replies.