Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, but it does have to do with is running a well-oiled AD that can avoid shooting themselves in the foot at worst or at best looking like they're running a local HS AD. Wildhack isn't a charity case, he's making significant money. And so are a lot of other people in the AD.

If people don’t donate to NIL I don’t put that on him.

But we really don't know the reason behind this. From the AD's standpoint, it could have been a question of value. Is Jesse at $1 million more valuable than, hypothetically, a Dickinson at $1.1 million? We simply don't have all the facts or any knowledge of the discussions or negotiations that have taken place.
Maybe, but it doesn't matter from a PR side. The AD and boosters need to get their act together or else recruits are going to think we're paupers. Wildhack seems unfit for what the job commands in 2023. He's a media rights guy, not a leader.

Bingo. I’ve been told Jesse had some “crazy $” being floated to him before he hit the portal. The Dukes of the world wouldn’t do that. They wouldn’t need to. But unfortunately, in todays game, this is going to happen. Desperate programs will throw around $.

Fingers crossed we can get to work quickly in response and turn this little bad news cycle around. Not sure I even believe that will happen as hoped but gonna still hope.

When are we going to see a list of centers that have been contacted by Cuse today? Seems like it shouldn't be any slower than finding out the list of schools who have contacted Jesse.
I mean, we already have 3 centers on the Fall roster. What more could we possibly need?:rolleyes:

When I checked out of the board last night, this thread was on page 13.

This morning it was on page 31.

Had a meeting all morning, just got a chance to look, we're up to page 67.

84759af8-c7d3-4346-ab2e-692b651fe626_text.gif

That or SU just hasn't figured out how to pay foreign players the way other schools have. Either way it's sad considering SU wants to be an upper echelon program.
Also sad considering how many international players we've brought in in the past. Potentially crosses off one of our old pipelines.

The fact that Jesse is leaving because of NIL means we have no shot at top notch transfers.
It actually doesn't mean that. Although I don't expect us to land someone like Hunter. What this means is that we couldn't make Edwards work because of his unique situation. Time will tell if we can't compete for most U.S. kids.

Bingo. I’ve been told Jesse had some “crazy $” being floated to him before he hit the portal. The Dukes of the world wouldn’t do that. They wouldn’t need to. But unfortunately, in todays game, this is going to happen. Desperate programs will throw around $.
And not every player needs to or will jump at the crazy money (if that’s what this is about). I don’t know why we always end up with the guys who jump into the draft before expected or who transfer out like this.

Last edited:
If people don’t donate to NIL I don’t put that on him.
I don't expect the AD to manage NIL donations. But it's part and parcel with managing a modern revenue athletic program.

If the AD stumbles over their basic responsibilities like ensuring that their coaches aren't abusive or even putting together a basic halftime program script, how can I trust them to make the bigger decisions about the program as a whole? I expect some synergy and everyone rowing in the same direction when someone is getting paid ~$800k+/yr to manage a ~$100m/year department.

When I was in the military, in basic training, they preached attention to detail and said that if they can't trust you with something simple like folding a t-shirt into a 6-inch square, how can they trust you with a billion dollar piece of equipment?

The latest syr.com article has no mention of that...no writer has explained why another school can do a NIL deal with his international status via transfer portal
Because we are "Holier than thou;" to pay a kid the total lump sum while on a foreign soil trip?
divine-mercy-jesus-digital-painting-done-photoshop-182548279.jpg

This is a massively flawed line of thinking. Filthy rich people don't usually just throw their money around willy nilly. They invest in things that will generate them a return, and normally a provable one at that. Most didn't become filthy rich by accident, and those that did tend to lose everything quickly. To the super rich (or at least those I have worked with in the past) a million dollars is a million dollars. Doesn't matter how many zeros you have in the bank account.

Weitsman (likely) wanted to give huge NIL deals to top players because he felt it could net him a return in terms of future relationships it could generate (for example, giving NIL to a Zion-type prospect - an NBA all star - nets more personal opportunity than a Jesse type player - a likely Euro featured player), not just because he loved Syracuse sports.

Who has Weitsman deliver? We lost Flip, we lost another to Tennessee and a couple of others. In hind sight, there was more bluster than production. We haven't had a game changer in years.

Yeah, news about their rift has been going on for almost 2 months now, since he brought Elijah up with a couple of NYC rappers and blasted social about his NIL commitments.

This media blitz by AW is pretty low-class, IMO. Don't air dirty laundry.
Yup. He wants the spotlight even in the break up. It’s gross. But it’s who he is.

If he really cared about the school, he doesn’t do this. Nobody should be surprised.

Again the Shrekli post really threw me off. There was no debating that one. I have first hand experience with that monster so maybe it’s just me….but read some of the stories about him. He’s a sociopath. No debate. He’s not to be saved. Have to be a real narcissist to think you can save that man.

Who has Weitsman deliver? We lost Flip, we lost another to Tennessee and a couple of others. In hind sight, there was more bluster than production. We haven't had a game changer in years.
Elijah Moore

Status
Not open for further replies.