Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my issues with SU, and I think lack of structure and a strong NIL plan led them to today, but this is bushleague.
Yeah, I'm unconcerned with AW. He's a big boy and what he promised and what he delivered are two entirely different things. This is nearly classic abuser language: "look what you made me do! And here I was planning on taking you on a nice vacation, but not now with how you're acting!"

That or SU just hasn't figured out how to pay foreign players the way other schools have. Either way it's sad considering SU wants to be an upper echelon program.
That's not the issue.

Most people are mad because we allowed ourselves to get behind on the NIL front when there’s no reason we should have been. we haven’t seen proof in the pudding of other NIL donors making a difference. The next week or so will be telling, If we land a quality transfer then the pitchforks will calm and the evidence will be there for people to back it upon.

That limit is very worrisome.. at least in the short term. Can't be throwing stupid money... but it doesn't do us much good if we can't compete for the talent level needed to be relevant again either.
Id be willing to bet its a $ limit for Jesse, not a cap for all players.

Im not paying $100 for a lb of sirloin.

Someone said we already have a million dollars in the collective.
So why isn't that enough to keep Jesse?
Are we giving it all to women athletes?
I noticed that the only person Weitsman mentioned was a female basketball player.
I am sure the intent of that money is not for one athlete. There are other athletes that need to be paid and over multiple years, not sure how long they expect that pot of money to last.

Shouldn't Nike be helping us out more? Not Phil Knight, the company. Everything Adidas did for Kansas, Arizona, etc. that got them in hot water 5 years ago is above board now.

Ironic if he went to Georgia. Anselm went to Georgia because he didn't want to sit behind Jesse. Frank must be happy to see his team pursuing centers in the portal. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
Frank averaged 3 points and 3 rebounds for Georgia this past season. Even I can do that. I've got eligibility left. Can I get a few pints of Haagen-Dazs as my NIL payment?

Most people are mad because we allowed ourselves to get behind on the NIL front when there’s no reason we should have been. we haven’t seen proof in the pudding of other NIL donors making a difference. The next week or so will be telling, If we land a quality transfer then the pitchforks will calm and the evidence will be there for people to back it upon.
I'm shocked this happened. I was told numerous times that SU was all set since they offered that NIL 101 class.

Frank averaged 3 point and 3 rebounds for Georgia this past season. Even I can do that. I've got eligibility left. Can I get a few pints of Haagen-Dazs as my NIL payment?
Wow, I didn’t know he was that unproductive. I followed his stats the 1st month or so and he seemed to be doing OK with rebounds and even got some starts. I stopped following after that and never bothered to check again. He did nothing, you're right.

That initial list of schools isn't exactly KU, UK, and Duke. Gonzaga as an exception, but those are schools struggling to make a name for themselves and they have to throw around more money. And if it's a B12 school who is serious about him, who's that BYU or WV? Have fun then.

The fact that Jesse is leaving because of NIL means we have no shot at top notch transfers.
But we really don't know the reason behind this. From the AD's standpoint, it could have been a question of value. Is Jesse at $1 million more valuable than, hypothetically, a Dickinson at $1.1 million? We simply don't have all the facts or any knowledge of the discussions or negotiations that have taken place.

That initial list of schools isn't exactly KU, UK, and Duke. Gonzaga as an exception, but those are schools struggling to make a name for themselves and they have to throw around more money. And if it's a B12 school who is serious about him, who's that BYU or WV? Have fun then.
That should be what scares you. We can’t get him to stay and that’s his initial list.

That means we aren’t even competitive NIL wise with those sdhools

But we really don't know the reason behind this. From the AD's standpoint, it could have been a question of value. Is Jesse at $1 million more valuable than, hypothetically, a Dickinson at $1.1 million? We simply don't have all the facts or any knowledge of the discussions or negotiations that have taken place.
True, but I just don't think you let Jesse walk out the door if you can help it.

Well clearly there was no backup plan. Adam pulls out, and Jesse instantly leaves?

That’s fine if we don’t want to blame Kent for not wanting to associate with Adam. But the deeper concern is how we apparently didn’t have enough NIL money without Adam to keep our starting center. Is that on Kent? I’m not sure. But the NIL efforts clearly to ramp up
The talk that Adam was pulling out started weeks ago though.

Bingo. I’ve been told Jesse had some “crazy $” being floated to him before he hit the portal. The Dukes of the world wouldn’t do that. They wouldn’t need to. But unfortunately, in todays game, this is going to happen. Desperate programs will throw around $.

Ironic if he went to Georgia. Anselm went to Georgia because he didn't want to sit behind Jesse. Frank must be happy to see his team pursuing centers in the portal. It's a dog-eat-dog world.
Frank is the 11th guy on the bench. I think there is a long line of guys he is sitting behind.

None of that has anything to do with NIL.
no, but it does have to do with is running a well-oiled AD that can avoid shooting themselves in the foot at worst or at best looking like they're running a local HS AD. Wildhack isn't a charity case, he's making significant money. And so are a lot of other people in the AD.

SU Administration prefers to spend our "ill gotten" athletic gains on more "academic" expenses.

I don’t even know what that means.

None of that has anything to do with NIL.
It does in that it helps set the value, quantify exposure, etc. nil is essentially an extension of operating costs, funded differently. Looking at them in context with revenue, capex etc sheds some light on why the dollars in question are really small relative to the overall operations. Also helps prioritize fundraising to account for it.

That should be what scares you. We can’t get him to stay and that’s his initial list.

That means we aren’t even competitive NIL wise with those sdhools
well, I'm sure most if not all of those schools are reaching out because they have no idea what the ask is. They're doing their due diligence. I'm sure they call and ask, and when they hear what the request is, they say thanks for answering and we'll ask around and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.