Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you underestimate how hard it is to fit into a system in 1 year. He’s probably a 10-8 guy depending on where he goes
10-8 is good though, right? For a college center?

We've certainly had a lot of years where we'd love that kind of production from a 5.

Look, if we land the Michigan guy, we'll have come out ahead. And Jesse is far from a perfect player. But he's the best C we've had in a long time and he'll be missed if we don't replace him adequately.

Everyone's saying Jesse isn't very good, but the truth is he was a great center for us and he's just scratching the surface of his potential. He could really add to his game next year. It does remain to be seen, however, whether Jesse's a good m2m defender. It's a big loss unless we get Dickinson.
He was not great - great players don't have single digit scoring in 6 games and have 10 in 2 others. That is 25% of our games where he couldn't generate double digit points. That is not great. He is a good player who's numbers were hiked by playing on a bad team. Someone has to get rebounds and score when others on the team cannot. His loss is being felt because of the timing, but he is not irreplaceable

As a Cuse fan, did I want jesse back? yes. Would I have been excited that he would come back? yes

BUT

there's a lot of reasons hes not on NBA draft lists - he's a very limited player with key deficiencies in his game:

namely:

- cant shoot a jump shot in games
- cant score from more than 5 feet out
- struggles with physicality
- struggles passing out of double team
- low Bball IQ
- either fouls out quicky or plays matador defense
- slow feet

you cant teach height and he gets good numbers on rebounds blocks and points (mostly)

I hope his replacement is a real basketball player not just a tall coordinated guy who recently picked up the sport and likes to eat stroodle all summer

your comment seems to imply that Jesse is a hampionship level player but his teammates weren't - I disagree strongly.

the offense ran through Jesse last year and it didnt work. He was given a lot of responsibility to carry the team and he couldnt. bottomline he didnt live up to his potential and I understand why people are not happy he portaling bit there are a lot of centers out there that might be better in terms of winning even if they dont have the same stats as Jesse, imo. IMO Jesse has no "dog in him" as the kids like to say these days ...and thats what the team needs.
How was he supposed to carry a team with so many underclassmen, nobody could. If he plays on a team with more ready talent, he will have a big year. There are reasons why Kansas. Gonzaga and other high level programs want to talk with him. Syracuse didn't want to pay out a big NIL for 1 year where the rest of the team isn't going to be ready for a big year. Other programs will who are in position to win big next year. It appears the difference in money offered is just too large to over look. Syracuse should be able to fill his spot with a 1 or 2 year player that will do most of what Jesse did and allow them to develop Paterson and bank NIL for '24 and beyond. It's not Jesse's fault and it's not Red's fault. I do think Red needs to communicate his thinking and what his plans are.

10-8 is good though, right? For a college center?

We've certainly had a lot of years where we'd love that kind of production from a 5.

Look, if we land the Michigan guy, we'll have come out ahead. And Jesse is far from a perfect player. But he's the best C we've had in a long time and he'll be missed if we don't replace him adequately.
He’d probably be closer to double that production here so no, it’s not too great in that context

He’d probably be closer to double that production here so no, it’s not too great in that context
Eh. It's not like he's going to fool NBA front offices with inflated SU stats and parlay a 20-14 season into a draft pick. He's going to spend the next decade playing in Europe regardless.

If a team desperately needs a 5 he's a good choice, I think.

I could only get through about 15 min of Jesse's interview. Like others have asked, why? What could he possibly gain from doing an interview. We all knew it was a gross mistake well before he took to the mic.

The last question that I heard him try to answer (or evade) was what factors went into his decision. He said loyalty to Syracuse. Okay. Decision to play another year in college or not. Okay. Where would be the best place for him to play. Um, not sure I understand, but okay. New head coach and new team apparently. Uh, isn't that what he will get by going to a new program in the portal? JUST SAY YOU WANT TO MAXIMIZE YOUR EARNING POTENTIAL!!! My gawd, it's understandable and very few blame you. But trying to skirt from the truth makes him look so bad.

I could only get through about 15 min of Jesse's interview. Like others have asked, why? What could he possibly gain from doing an interview. We all knew it was a gross mistake well before he took to the mic.

The last question that I heard him try to answer (or evade) was what factors went into his decision. He said loyalty to Syracuse. Okay. Decision to play another year in college or not. Okay. Where would be the best place for him to play. Um, not sure I understand, but okay. New head coach and new team apparently. Uh, isn't that what he will get by going to a new program in the portal? JUST SAY YOU WANT TO MAXIMIZE YOUR EARNING POTENTIAL!!! My gawd, it's understandable and very few blame you. But trying to skirt from the truth makes him look so bad.

Yeah it wasn't pretty and validated it being a bad idea. The goodbye message was sufficient. Move on, focus on the future.

No reading all this madness. I would take more money too. Many of you would too and won't admit it. Don't blame Jesse. Blame Cuse
I have turned down more money multiple times in the last 10 years to stay in CNY as crazy as that sounds. One time it was for significantly more than I make. I don’t regret it at all. There is more to life than the total amount of money in your bank accounts and stuff you have.

For the record I blame SU and Jesse equally. Hope Jesse makes a fortune to offset those cold nights playing in Siberia in two years.

Last edited:

He wants to stay.

His father wants him to chase NIL $$$.

Jesse doesn't want to throw his father under the bus during the interview.

I have turned down more money multiple times in the last 10 years to stay in CNY as crazy as that sounds. One time it was for significantly more than I make. I don’t regret it at all. There is more to life than the total amount of money in the your bank account and stuff you have.

For the record I blame SU and Jesse equally. Hope Jesse makes a fortune to offset those cold nights playing in Siberia in two years.
amen to this. I hear ya 100x over doing same. Luckily this place is so beautiful 7-8 month a year, no traffic, reasonable cost of living and a bonus is almost no harsher than harsh winters anymore, at least the last 4 years, and especially this last year sans one march storm.

No that interview was tough to watch as someone wrestles with themselves and they're realizing that not the person they probably thought they were (self talk of "loyal to the core", not money driven, "team player" and whatever else we all tell ourselves we are), where he's realizing he's just like most other people going in the opposite direction to get as much scratch as possible.

Not a judgement of it all, more an observation as if I were a foreign college student in American without a lot of $ in my pocket I might do the same, especially if the old man whom you look to for advice your whole life is telling you what to do, if indeed his dad is. Like to think otherwise but as the saying goes, until you're in another mans shoes don't....

Last edited:
He didn't say that at all. Not even close.

I can't believe I'm defending CousCuse, but that's the new world we're living in.
well put it this way: Jesse wont win a championship next year no matter what team he is on.

his biggest problem is between the ears and that's where he is not championship material, imo...and thats not changing with a bag or with calipari or duke fluffing him up.
How was he supposed to carry a team with so many underclassmen, nobody could. If he plays on a team with more ready talent, he will have a big year. There are reasons why Kansas. Gonzaga and other high level programs want to talk with him. Syracuse didn't want to pay out a big NIL for 1 year where the rest of the team isn't going to be ready for a big year. Other programs will who are in position to win big next year. It appears the difference in money offered is just too large to over look. Syracuse should be able to fill his spot with a 1 or 2 year player that will do most of what Jesse did and allow them to develop Paterson and bank NIL for '24 and beyond. It's not Jesse's fault and it's not Red's fault. I do think Red needs to communicate his thinking and what his plans are.
Carmelo did it pretty well, didn't he???

how was Jesse supposed to (as a 4th year senior no less) ? well ask JB who ran the offense through Jesse all ACC conf sched...despite him being quite erratic. ...for a team that barely busted 500

Jesse will have worse stats next year if he goes to a top program 100% guaranteed and it wont get him anywhere closer to the NBA, either.

There isn't a team in the NCAA that would give him a better chance of development than SU...but think what you want.

well put it this way: Jesse wont win a championship next year no matter what team he is on.

his biggest problem is between the ears and that's where he is not championship material, imo...and thats not changing with a bag or with calipari or duke fluffing him up.

Carmelo did it pretty well, didn't he???

how was Jesse supposed to (as a 4th year senior no less) ? well ask JB who ran the offense through Jesse all ACC conf sched...despite him being quite erratic. ...for a team that barely busted 500

Jesse will have worse stats next year if he goes to a top program 100% guaranteed and it wont get him anywhere closer to the NBA, either.

There isn't a team in the NCAA that would give him a better chance of development than SU...but think what you want.
You said Carmelo Anthony. Lol.

Cmon Jesse, just be more like Carmelo! That’s what I would do!

AW says he was in compliance with what he was doing. I'm not saying we need to believe him implicitly but is their proof that what he was doing was significant enough in this current environment to cause us to push him away entirely?
There is letter of the law and spirit of the law. Just ask George Brett. NCAA regulations state that boosters cannot be involved in recruiting. NCAA regulations state that an NIL deal cannot be contingent on attendance at a specific institution. So a six or seven deal brokered by a booster with a HS player that does not specify what college that player must attend conforms with the letter of the law. But when you state the player must live and perform regular service within the 315 or 607 area codes, does ot violate the spirit? Compound that with the NCAA saying it no longer requires a smoking gun to initiate an investigation, merely the appearance of impropriety.

Will there ever be meaningful enforcement? No one really knows at this point, but SU is taking a conservative stance. It may or may not turn out to be a wise decision.

I’ll bite - name 10-20 centers that are better.

Edit: I’ll start.

Edey, Sanogo, Clingan, Dickinson, Tshiebwe, Tubelis…Edwards

You can argue for Bacot, Soriano, Kalkbrenner, Nunge, Dante, etc. but Edwards was just so damn efficient.
I mean are we going off of last year or going into next year? Like I’d had Taken Edwards over Clingan this year but at the same time if he a play a full starting role all season just how good is he by now? I’m not taking Soriano over Edwards but about the rest in that list I am, as well as Pj Hall of Clemson, Carlson of Utah, Timme of Gonzaga, Trayce-Davis of Indiana. In a ball park people are gonna give or take so I’d guess it would be around 15th but he’s definitely between 10-20. The notion that Edwards so crazy efficient is way overblown. He was 25th in the nation in FG% and that’s without stretching the floor like multiple of the other centers listed do, and are stil able to maintain around the same, and a few even better FG% than Edwards.

This is not to Knock Jesse by any means. being a top 10-15 center in the country is no easy feat obviously.

But to be fair Jesse committed one of the worst crimes you could possibly commit; playing basketball for a different team!
I mean….I don’t want him to do better elsewhere than he did here. Especially if he goes to a team I dislike.

But I hope he gets all the money he’s hoping to get, and has a great pro career somewhere.

That is my question as well. How is the money distributed? Will they give Jesse $500k to stay next year? Or does he have to split it with a bunch of field hockey players.
Keep in mind the collectives are not the be all / end all for NIL at Syracuse. As certified 501c's they can only provided compensation for services provided to another 501c. When you see a group from the football team working at a soup kitchen or basketball players appearing at a youth group or faith focused event, that's the work of the collective. When you see Garrett Shrader selling cars, Sean Tucker on T-shirts or Buddy Boeheim on cereal boxes that is an individual transaction initiated by the business, likely via the ACCELERATE platform.
The deal put together for Jesse is likely a combination of a number of different initiatives.

I mean….I don’t want him to do better elsewhere than he did here. Especially if he goes to a team I dislike.

But I hope he gets all the money he’s hoping to get, and has a great pro career somewhere.

Right thats all I'm saying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors