Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the sense, that you're asking them to pay on top of what they're already buying? I think that's unreasonable. NIL is supposed to be leveraging your local community for marketing opportunities, not cutting a check to play. If that's what it is, hire them as part-time employees. That has to be the next step in this pay for play era. Decoldest Crawford did a commercial for an HVAC company. That's NIL. Getting told I need $500K to play at your university is not.
You're idealistic. NIL is all about big money donors and boosters finding ways to structure deals with players so the kids get paid for their Name, Image and Likeness (so many ways to do that) that the big money booster gets to use for their desire.

The biggest war chest will win in the long run. Syracuse won't be able to compete because they won't be able to build a big, perpetual war chest.

I think that's a little harsh. In the current environment, there seem to be very few rules that can't be skirted, legitimately.

Anyone who is going to drop serious cash to support a program deserves some recognition for it. Various people have their names on buildings for giving lots of money.

How different is it for someone to prefer their recognition in the "media of the day" - social media? Why is one considered "de classe" by some, while the other side sees it as "au courant"?
Make no bones about it, schools realize that they are the ones losing out from NIL because the big money boosters aren't giving directly to the schools anymore. The deep pockets are going directly to the kids.

Weitsman leaks to a reporter that Jesse is transferring and then says he's stepping away and blames the University. What a great guy.
Yup and the University has to take the high road. I'm sure there's more to the story and they were more than justified. It was always 90% for his ego, 10% for everyone else.

We're not having this conversation if Weitsman wasn't hell-bent on making himself the center of attention. The university was wary of the risk and didn't have the appetite. Adam took his ball home.
I don't believe this is the full story.

I feel bad for Red, he probably thought the administration would do whatever is needed to compete in the age of NIL. If the school doesn't figure out how to do so, I fear this will result in SU sports being second tier.
My fear is that if we couldn't keep Jesse, a featured starter who appeared to love it at Cuse and who doesn't have family leaning on him to provide for them, Red's been given an impossible job. How can he possibly resurrect the program. Unless something changes, he's a dead man walking. The fan vision and admin vision don't line up and that's a volatile mix for a new coach trying to earn his stripes.

We're in a situation where it seems like we're becoming a feeder program to the bigger schools that can pay more NIL money to our best players. Too bad we can collect fees off the bigger schools when they poach our players.
I don't see that. I think SU can compete on a $ for $ basis and we're not talking giant programs here, WVU and BYU? Get out with that nonsense. Yes, Syracuse is a "small" market, but SU Sports dominates 3-4 small to mid-sized markets in NY.

Spokane, WA can play in the NIL world but SU can't? Negative.

This is, as has been related by a few people, the case of another program seeing an opportunity due to issues with a deal not being completed and swooping in to make a splash. If Cooley wanted $2m worth of NIL budget at G'Town, and he got it, then that's something Syracuse can certainly do.

Make no bones about it, schools realize that they are the ones losing out from NIL because the big money boosters aren't giving directly to the schools anymore. The deep pockets are going directly to the kids.

Yeah, what are they gonna do? They've had a monopoly for 75 years, and TV contracts for about 50 years, without paying their labor, or providing them with health care, insurance, and the like.

When the dollars earned by the universities began hitting tens of millions of dollars per year, then why shouldn't the players benefit?

But, of course, the NCAA botched it all, just like a government committee botches anything where there are conflicting interests, and money is involved.

The University Presidents undermined any arguments of student welfare, or regional-related conferences, or any of that stuff. Lots more demands on these kids today than there were on actual "student athletes" 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.

It wasn't bout his unique situation. It was about $. Anything else is just excuse making.
So this is essentially what you’ve heard from your sources? That it’s simply about pure NIL $$$ and not that we couldn’t make it work with the constraints on an international player’s visa (b/c of our lack of NIL infrastructure/overseas contacts or whatever)? Basically we couldn’t match what other programs were telling him they could pay?

I don't see that. I think SU can compete on a $ for $ basis and we're not talking giant programs here, WVU and BYU? Get out with that nonsense. Yes, Syracuse is a "small" market, but SU Sports dominates 3-4 small to mid-sized markets in NY.

Spokane, WA can play in the NIL world but SU can't? Negative.

This is, as has been related by a few people, the case of another program seeing an opportunity due to issues with a deal not being completed and swooping in to make a splash. If Cooley wanted $2m worth of NIL budget at G'Town, and he got it, then that's something Syracuse can certainly do.
Eh, BYU has a lot of deep pocket folks. If they want to go hard in the NIL game they're a sleeping giant.

But kids that take the NIL bag would have to agree to their honor code.

Moore needed to be paid enough to leave Nova. That money amount was more than what Moore needed to be paid to stay.
This. Sometimes good enough is, well, good enough when other conditions are met. Lots of professionals give “discounts” to employers for the right role, team, etc. Sometimes money wins, though - them’s the breaks.

Why does it "NEED" to happen?

Because Syracuse won't be good at sports? Why would some school who's killing it in NIL care?

The SEC/B1G/others will just break off and do their own NIL league.
SEC et al breaking away can’t happen too soon for me. There is absolutely no way SU ever competes against large state schools and their alums and taxpayers in a pay for play environment. And that’s where college revenue sports are now.

You’re so out of touch. The school can’t spend on NIL. You can.
The school can get creative.
Take JMA naming rights.
X amount of that could be directed by JMA to the NIL. Not by SU but by JMA. BOX revenue the same. Again this would need to be coordinated properly but its doable.
Vts idea on Spring game revenue.
Allow the collectives to fund raise pre game on the Quad...
Lots of ideas that could help.

Yeah, what are they gonna do? They've had a monopoly for 75 years, and TV contracts for about 50 years, without paying their labor, or providing them with health care, insurance, and the like.

When the dollars earned by the universities began hitting tens of millions of dollars per year, then why shouldn't the players benefit?

But, of course, the NCAA botched it all, just like a government committee botches anything where there are conflicting interests, and money is involved.

The University Presidents undermined any arguments of student welfare, or regional-related conferences, or any of that stuff. Lots more demands on these kids today than there were on actual "student athletes" 30 or 40 or 50 years ago.
I’m not arguing it, just stating it. Also provides perspective as to why some older administrators may not want to really play the NIL game.

Eh, BYU has a lot of deep pocket folks. If they want to go hard in the NIL game they're a sleeping giant.

But kids that take the NIL bag would have to agree to their honor code.
Oh, I don't disagree, there's tons of money sloshing around this country. But in terms of stature, they're not a school like UK and KU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom