Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow isnt bad if you don’t have to shovel it or drive far in it.

I liked snow when I was a kid.

It beats boring cold weather without snow. IMO.
I still like snow. I go skiing weekly during the winter though. If I ever get to the point where I can’t ski anymore, then I’ll be all-in on only having snow on Christmas Eve.

You have to have snow on the roof on Christmas Eve otherwise the runners on Santa’s sleight rip up your shingles. Insurance won’t pay for it either. They just laugh at you. Don’t ask how I know that…

It’s an easy mistake;)
OK Dick, I am posing this question to you since you know where Michigan is and Wisconsin and the cities that are in each state - perhaps you can explain this.

Ditota just explained this A.M., that international players cannot receive NIL money. Then why is it an issue for him, or better yet, his father to encourage him to leave Syracuse basketball? Where is he going to go to get $. Nowhere?! And why are so many schools jumping into the portal for him? Same rules for them or are they or do they just write a check, hand it to him under the table and keep it quiet?

The chancellor "c" lower case because that's what I think of the chancellor's dealings with Adam Wietsman's is another eventful happening - I can't see any side but Adam's and I've read everything I can about him, what he represents as a person and donor. He's all good IMO.

Will you please enlighten me shingles off the roof - or did you have snow this winter?

I would really like to know the delta between our offer and market value. I'm a proponent of the saying - Familiarity breeds contempt.
Jesse Edwards isn't exactly Tim Duncan, but, he's the closest we can get for the immediate future. Refusing to pay going rate makes no sense. Especially, if we don't have a low cost option waiting in the wings.

Yes it will. End of the day is that money talks. If there are teams that can write $500k+ checks to guys like Edwards and Girard, what do you think they can write when a 5-star comes rolling around?

Geography does matter, and nobody wants to go to school in a city where it is winter 8 months of the year. Education matters to maybe 2% of college basketball players lol. In the mix as usual? We've been in the mix like once over the past 10 years.
OMG, geography? Seriously? I can’t take anyone seriously who spouts that kind of nonsense

Yes it will. End of the day is that money talks. If there are teams that can write $500k+ checks to guys like Edwards and Girard, what do you think they can write when a 5-star comes rolling around?

Geography does matter, and nobody wants to go to school in a city where it is winter 8 months of the year. Education matters to maybe 2% of college basketball players lol. In the mix as usual? We've been in the mix like once over the past 10 years.
Yeah that’s why we never got good players in the past and Miami was great for 50 years.

OK Dick, I am posing this question to you since you know where Michigan is and Wisconsin and the cities that are in each state - perhaps you can explain this.

Ditota just explained this A.M., that international players cannot receive NIL money. Then why is it an issue for him, or better yet, his father to encourage him to leave Syracuse basketball? Where is he going to go to get $. Nowhere?! And why are so many schools jumping into the portal for him? Same rules for them or are they or do they just write a check, hand it to him under the table and keep it quiet?

The chancellor "c" lower case because that's what I think of the chancellor's dealings with Adam Wietsman's is another eventful happening - I can't see any side but Adam's and I've read everything I can about him, what he represents as a person and donor. He's all good IMO.

Will you please enlighten me shingles off the roof - or did you have snow this winter?

He can’t get NIL in the USA with the visa he has. He has to collect the NIL in a foreign country.

I would really like to know the delta between our offer and market value. I'm a proponent of the saying - Familiarity breeds contempt.
Jesse Edwards isn't exactly Tim Duncan, but, he's the closest we can get for the immediate future. Refusing to pay going rate makes no sense. Especially, if we don't have a low cost option waiting in the wings.

You have no idea what the demand was. At some point it’s too high right?

You have no idea what the demand was. At some point it’s too high right?
It’s going to be hard for any of us to grasp. In the NBA there is a salary cap, and everyone’s salaries are public info - so it’s easy for fans to have enough info to think a free agent signing is a good or bad one.

Right now…we have no idea how much money any of these schools have to work with, and no idea how much most of these players are getting. We don’t really know what’s “too much” for a player, at this point. Hopefully the coaches do. Gotta be a brutally tough job right now.

Guess it is important how much of a star you are in BB or FB.
While some NCAA athletes cash in on NIL, others lose out (insidehighered.com)

The opportunity to earn money while playing college sports is available to all athletes, from football’s Heisman Trophy winner to small-college wrestlers. But of the approximately 520,000 students currently competing in intercollegiate athletics, maybe 519,000 are making nothing at all. A vast majority of deals reward the top players on the nationally competitive teams in two sports: football and men’s basketball. Some of the deals are as lucrative as those that established professionals earn. According to On3, this academic year the Alabama quarterback Bryce Young will earn a total of at least $3.2 million from Nissan, BMW of Tuscaloosa, the mobile-payment service Cash App and other companies.

No reading all this madness. I would take more money too. Many of you would too and won't admit it. Don't blame Jesse. Blame Cuse

A&M, never woulda thunk it.

Ranking the strength of every NIL collective in the SEC - Sports Illustrated Auburn Tigers News, Analysis and MoreHere is a ranking of every NIL collective(s) in affiliation/partnership with each SEC team.

NOTE: Most collectives have not publicly shared how much they have raised or distributed to their student-athletes.

1. Texas A&M (The Fund)

The Aggies' collective earned their athletes over $4 million during the 2021-22 school year, per Collier Logan of All Aggies. Collier noted in his September article that "While NIL is a largely unregulated realm, the state of Texas requires that NIL contracts be disclosed along with their values. This allowed Travis Brown at The Eagle to compile some of the numbers for a better look at the NIL situation in the state. When all the sums were tallied up, athletes at Texas A&M earned over $4 million in NIL money during the 2021-2022 school year."

The rumor that A&M spent over $30 million on their most recent recruiting class seems to be untrue, but the collective is certainly helping all of A&M's student athletes get compensated.

Last edited:
The university better find a way to successfully operate in this new environment, or the money machine dies.

Huh?

Bees, Yes - I read the Ditota article and that's all I will say or want to say about Jesse Edwards.

I was answering your question.

As a Michigander, I have to chime in here.

Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

The UP is in Michigan, not Wisconsin. Marquette is in Milwaukee. As in Wisconsin. As in "not-in-Michigan". As in almost 350 miles from Lake Superior. It averages (by CNY standards) a paltry 49 inches of snow per year and actually is moderated, temperature-wise, in the winter by Lake Michigan. It gets cold in Milwaukee, yes, but not as cold as you might expect.

Milwaukee weather is nowhere near as bad as Syracuse weather in the winter. Now, that being said, I agree that once you are far north, winter temps kind of suck everywhere. But as it pertains to snowfall, I believe that Syracuse is not only the snowiest major city in America, it is also the 5th snowiest major city in the world. Still, the difference between snow and crazy snow probably doesn't matter as much as snow vs no snow. I think that every northern school that has snow, whether Marquette at 50-ish or MSU at 50-ish, or SU at 110+-ish has to fight that battle when recruiting against a school that rarely gets any snow at all.

Edit: it occurs to me that you maybe think that Marquette Univ is in Marquette, Michigan. It is not. Marquette, MI is indeed located on Lake Superior in the UP, and is the home of Northern MI Univ, but Marquette Univ is in Milwaukee.

Copper Country!

If Marquette were actually in Marquette, I bet their recruiting would suffer. It's a stark beauty up there, but it's remote.

As for Syracuse, the "8 months of winter" business was kind of silly even when winter was a thing. For the past four years, not so much. And this year we experienced exactly 0 months of winter weather. But as you note, there's no competitive disadvantage with the other northern schools that manage to have decent hoops programs.

Copper Country!

If Marquette were actually in Marquette, I bet their recruiting would suffer. It's a stark beauty up there, but it's remote.

As for Syracuse, the "8 months of winter" business was kind of silly even when winter was a thing. For the past four years, not so much. And this year we experienced exactly 0 months of winter weather. But as you note, there's no competitive disadvantage with the other northern schools that manage to have decent hoops programs.
It’s that Costanza attitude crap that infects many. Syracuse gets rated the best party school and plays in front of the most fans, and some still want to try the “who would ever want to come here” crap.

A&M, never woulda thunk it.

Ranking the strength of every NIL collective in the SEC - Sports Illustrated Auburn Tigers News, Analysis and MoreHere is a ranking of every NIL collective(s) in affiliation/partnership with each SEC team.

NOTE: Most collectives have not publicly shared how much they have raised or distributed to their student-athletes.

1. Texas A&M (The Fund)

The Aggies' collective earned their athletes over $4 million during the 2021-22 school year, per Collier Logan of All Aggies. Collier noted in his September article that "While NIL is a largely unregulated realm, the state of Texas requires that NIL contracts be disclosed along with their values. This allowed Travis Brown at The Eagle to compile some of the numbers for a better look at the NIL situation in the state. When all the sums were tallied up, athletes at Texas A&M earned over $4 million in NIL money during the 2021-2022 school year."

The rumor that A&M spent over $30 million on their most recent recruiting class seems to be untrue, but the collective is certainly helping all of A&M's student athletes get compensated.
Fantastic return on that investment! People with “f-me money” are having fun with it but if the product they get is consistent with A&M football this year, they will quickly find another hobby. Accountability hitting the kids is a step in this process. We’ll see how quickly it gets realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom