Jim Boeheim 8 am | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim 8 am

We are talking about JB and his public comments that cast SU in a bad light.

Focus.

JB's denigrating comment last week went viral on several national media platforms, including making headlines at ESPN. JB, as an employee of Syracuse University, in that moment, clearly cast the institution that employs him in a bad (unfavorable) light. Nowadays, depending on external factors, double standards, etc., based upon the degree of escalation/chit storm that ensues, all it seems to take is a moment.

Im not a Dr but I did watch a lot of ER.
Would have been better if you said House! Lol. Hell for that matter throw on some MacGyver and you have me.

JB's denigrating comment last week went viral on several national media platforms, including making headlines at ESPN. JB, as an employee of Syracuse University, in that moment, clearly cast the institution that employs him in a bad (unfavorable) light. Nowadays, depending on external factors, double standards, etc., based upon the degree of escalation/chit storm that ensues, all it seems to take is a moment.
I disagree that it “clearly” cast the institution that employs him in a bad light. If you disagree with his comments you could argue that it puts JB in a bad light. I don’t see where it puts SU in a bad light at all.

Well JB and Syracuse did agree to a settlement based on those comments, so it seems like that fits.
“"Coach Boeheim regrets that he made those statements and that he questioned the integrity of Bobby Davis and Michael Lang," Syracuse said in a statement. "Since then, he has publicly committed to focus his charitable efforts on providing assistance to victims of sexual abuse, which he continues to do. We are glad to announce that we have resolved the defamation case that Mr. Davis and Mr. Lang brought, and look forward to putting this behind us."

certainly seems like Jim felt it was not a good thing to say.

Well JB and Syracuse did agree to a settlement based on those comments, so it seems like that fits.
Interesting that Gloria Allred went after JB for slander for calling Davis and Lang liars and trying to make money capitalizing on the Sandusky situation. Considering they got a pay day from JB and his deeper pockets and never charged Fine, Boeheim wasn’t entirely wrong. Stupid statement while defending his friend? Sure. Incorrect? One could argue, no.

Interesting that Gloria Allred went after JB for slander for calling Davis and Lang liars and trying to make money capitalizing on the Sandusky situation. Considering they got a pay day from JB and his deeper pockets and never charged Fine, Boeheim wasn’t entirely wrong. Stupid statement while defending his friend? Sure. Incorrect? One could argue, no.

Legitimacy of Jim’s comments was never the question.

if the question is “Please provide a list of the ‘less than stellar rants’”, one that results in the university having to pay a settlement doesn’t seem stellar to me

Legitimacy of Jim’s comments was never the question.

if the question is “Please provide a list of the ‘less than stellar rants’”, one that results in the university having to pay a settlement doesn’t seem stellar to me
His recent comments aren’t even in the same stratosphere as his Fine related comment. I’m not sure why it was even brought up.

His recent comments aren’t even in the same stratosphere as his Fine related comment. I’m not sure why it was even brought up.

it was specifically asked in the thread

”Can you help me understand your concern about JB putting the university in a bad light? Please provide a list of the ‘less than stellar rants’ you have been compiling that put the university in a bad light.

You can go back to the 1960s if need be.”

it was specifically asked in the thread

”Can you help me understand your concern about JB putting the university in a bad light? Please provide a list of the ‘less than stellar rants’ you have been compiling that put the university in a bad light.

You can go back to the 1960s if need be.”
Glad you found one. Like I said before, should he have said it, probably not. Was he correct, possibly yes.

Glad you found one. Like I said before, should he have said it, probably not. Was he correct, possibly yes.

I didn’t ask the question nor give the answer, sir. I was giving context to the posts suggesting otherwise. You’ve moved the goalposts numerous times here. Just read the thread and youll understand all my posts are addressing specifc posts in the thread

I didn’t ask the question nor give the answer, sir. I was giving context to the posts suggesting otherwise. You’ve moved the goalposts numerous times here. Just read the thread and youll understand all my posts are addressing specifc posts in the thread
I take serious offense to you referring to that poster as sir. We have exchanged posts for years and you have never referred to me as sir. In this atmosphere, I demand satisfaction.

I take serious offense to you referring to that poster as sir. We have exchanged posts for years and you have never referred to me as sir. In this atmosphere, I demand satisfaction.
Sometimes “sir” is sarcastic. Like “chief” or “champ” or “buddy.” You’ll take what you get and like it. Don’t compare to others. “Comparison is the thief of joy.”

I still disagree.

The comments JB made on the kids who lost the lawsuit were ill advised for a man with his resources to make. No one is questioning that.

I don’t see how it puts the university in a bad light. Even if SU had to pay some small amount of money in this.

Same with pointing out a reporter with no expertise on the sport of basketball has no expertise on the subject. I don’t see this reflecting badly on Syracuse.

If he treated national media the way he treats some of the local media, maybe there is a point to be made here. Don’t get me wrong; I wish he wouldn’t be petty to some of the local reporters. But none of these incidents, including the latest one, has ever become a major news event that cast the university in a bad light.

Okay, you don’t like JB and want him fired. The best you can do it dig up a civil lawsuit from 15 years ago? One that he didn’t even lose? Even knows thse money grab lawsuits happen to rich people and are routinely settled for minor dollars.

When a national media member needs a thoughtful take on college basketball, JB is one of the first people they go to. He is widely respected. He is not a loose cannon that could go off at any time.

I still disagree.

The comments JB made on the kids who lost the lawsuit were ill advised for a man with his resources to make. No one is questioning that.

I don’t see how it puts the university in a bad light. Even if SU had to pay some small amount of money in this.

Same with pointing out a reporter with no expertise on the sport of basketball has no expertise on the subject. I don’t see this reflecting badly on Syracuse.

If he treated national media the way he treats some of the local media, maybe there is a point to be made here. Don’t get me wrong; I wish he wouldn’t be petty to some of the local reporters. But none of these incidents, including the latest one, has ever become a major news event that cast the university in a bad light.

Okay, you don’t like JB and want him fired. The best you can do it dig up a civil lawsuit from 15 years ago? One that he didn’t even lose? Even knows thse money grab lawsuits happen to rich people and are routinely settled for minor dollars.

When a national media member needs a thoughtful take on college basketball, JB is one of the first people they go to. He is widely respected. He is not a loose cannon that could go off at any time.
JB called Andy Katz one of the best national college basketball media a disloyal idiot because he asked JB questions about the Bernie Fine allegations.
JB doesn’t treat the national media any different except Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon who give as Soft an interview as anybody.

JB’s mouth gets him in trouble that it doesn’t have to because he doesn’t have a filter.

I still disagree.

I love JB and think he's one of the best coaches of all time. I have no idea why you included that in your response.

I do think his time has past though and wish he would retire. I will admit to that, but I never said anything about wanting him fired.

We'll agree to disagree on this issue

Last edited:
JB called Andy Katz one of the best national college basketball media a disloyal idiot because he asked JB questions about the Bernie Fine allegations.
JB doesn’t treat the national media any different except Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon who give as Soft an interview as anybody.

JB’s mouth gets him in trouble that it doesn’t have to because he doesn’t have a filter.

JB also defended Katz and went after ESPN when Katz got let go.

The next guy is going to be really boring.

Context is king.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom