Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Appreciation thread.

Boeheim retires and truly it’s impossible to measure his impact. A lot of talk about his wins, his tournament success, his dangerous 2-3 zone, and rightfully so. I hope somehow he sees a lot of these stories though.

We all want to be remembered for so much in this life and by the time it starts to wind down you hope you’re remembered in any way like JB is tonight.

I’ve seen so many posts about going to games with a parent, a spouse, a child, etc and JB just being there. Forever a constant in our lives and we can bring so many memories back that all have him in them. It’s going to be so surreal to watch a Syracuse Basketball game and not have coach there. It’s a friendly reminder that nothing is forever, even if it’s certainly felt that way here in Syracuse.

I hope you think of not only your most fond memories of JB/Cuse tonight, but those who made you fall in love with it all with their crazy fandom… or who you passed yours on to.

Thank you, JB

60 here, spent countless hours listening/ watching SU BB on radio, TV and on line. I’m glad JB lasted so long, no one back in the day thought he would. Now Autry is in a similar boat and I wish him the best, he’s replacing a legend.

I was 12 when we moved to Syracuse in 1976. My first game at Manley was vs Penn State that year and I still remember how crazy it was. Dale Shackelford is still one of my favorite Orangemen. But the goofy looking coach was the one responsible for leading one of the best basketball programs in the country for the next 47 years. He is the primary reason that many of our SU heroes of the past 50 years came to Syracuse. I thank him for that.

The significance and appreciation of Jim Boeheim's career, and all that he has meant to Syracuse University, Syracuse basketball, college basketball, and CNY, will continue to resolve and deepen with the passage of time. This is the stuff that legends are made of.

By the way, I am 7 years old - and all this time you guys thought that my username was a childish reference to a British spy.

The significance and appreciation of Jim Boeheim's career, and all that he has meant to Syracuse University, Syracuse basketball, college basketball, and CNY, will continue to resolve and deepen with the passage of time. This is the stuff that legends are made of.

By the way, I am 7 years old - and all this time you guys thought that my username was a childish reference to a British spy.
And all this time I thought you were Susan's cousin's kid and were named after Mickey Mantle.

This had to upstage my 52nd birthday yesterday so there will always be that memory. ;)

On a more serious note, yesterday made me think of family. My deceased Dad who grew me to be an dedicated Orange fan, the games with him, my brothers, friends and over the last 14 years bringing my own 2 boys. Alot of my winter life has been built around the program and JB has been that program.

Simply put, he and the team have been woven into the fabric of my family for 3 generations now and we've lived the highs and lows. While I believed it was time, I have alot of mixed emotions right now but mostly grateful for all the good times.

So my simple appreciation is a Thank You to JB for being a big part of my life without even knowing it.

This had to upstage my 52nd birthday yesterday so there will always be that memory. ;)

On a more serious note, yesterday made me think of family. My deceased Dad who grew me to be an dedicated Orange fan, the games with him, my brothers, friends and over the last 14 years bringing my own 2 boys. Alot of my winter life has been built around the program and JB has been that program.

Simply put, he and the team have been woven into the fabric of my family for 3 generations now and we've lived the highs and lows. While I believed it was time, I have alot of mixed emotions right now but mostly grateful for all the good times.

So my simple appreciation is a Thank You to JB for being a big part of my life without even knowing it.
It's incredible - How many people get to experience this?

Jimmy was a player when I went to the Cuse - really dating myself.

He was always tenacious with a great will to win.

For the first 40 years or so of his coaching career, it was always a highlight of my day to watch a Cuse game if it was on TV.

The Louie and Bouie show was really the start and the Pearl recruitment locked it in concrete.

Many, many great memories. I especially loved the Big East days when the big rival rotated between Gtown, Uconn, St. John's, and Pitt, but the Cuse was ALWAYS in the top three of that conference. How Jimmy did that every season for decade on end was amazing.

I am just really disappointed that Jimmy chose not to have a more graceful retirement with a final season of nothing but kudos for his long term accomplishments. He could have gone out with a bang instead of a whimper. I think he will have regrets about that once his reality sinks in.

Thanks to JB for many great memories. After 2003, I could die a happy man. Let's support Coach Autry now.
This ended ungracefully but let's face it, Jim has never been accused of being graceful. Let's see what the next week brings in terms of statements from the various people involved. In the end, I think this is the right outcome under the circumstances and so I am not going to wail and gnash my teeth about how it went down... especially given most is pure speculation.

I really hope JB slides into a commentator role for a few years. He clearly loves basketball, so it seems like it would be a perfect fit for him in a totally stress free environment. Just sit back, still be part of the action, make witty comments roasting people like others would do to him, etc.

I really hope JB slides into a commentator role for a few years. He clearly loves basketball, so it seems like it would be a perfect fit for him in a totally stress free environment. Just sit back, still be part of the action, make witty comments roasting people like others would do to him, etc.

I truly hope this is the case. I'd love to just have them get he , K and Roy on the same set from time to time. It would be a gift to college hoops fans everywhere. A living Rushmore...

Thanks to JB for many great memories. After 2003, I could die a happy man. Let's support Coach Autry now.
This ended ungracefully but let's face it, Jim has never been accused of being graceful. Let's see what the next week brings in terms of statements from the various people involved. In the end, I think this is the right outcome under the circumstances and so I am not going to wail and gnash my teeth about how it went down... especially given most is pure speculation.

The transition away from how it went down has been quick as the focus shifts to celebrating and looking forward to what's next. As it should be.

I was on a text thread discussing JAB and we all wondered if Jimmy was ever spotted on campus. I was there from 94-98 and never once saw him on the main campus once.

I ran into him at Hancock when Juli was picking him and I asked jim hayes about Boeheims daughter and he told me it was his girlfriend :)

I was on a text thread discussing JAB and we all wondered if Jimmy was ever spotted on campus. I was there from 94-98 and never once saw him on the main campus once.

I ran into him at Hancock when Juli was picking him and I asked jim hayes about Boeheims daughter and he told me it was his girlfriend :)

I remember running into him a few times in my time back 02-06. Mostly around south campus for obvious reasons haha.

McDonough/Boeheim/Bilas on Big Monday. #MBMGA Make Big Monday Great Again

(would prefer Raftery over Bilas but I know he's on Fox now)

Going to be crazy seeing him coaching Georgetown next year.
I have it on good authority that Hurley is out and that JB and JC will be coaching the Huskies next year.

The day of the epic SU-Miami football game in ‘92, one of my housemates who was not a big SU sports fans was walking outside the Dome right around kickoff. He told us when we got back from the game that he saw coach P outside the Done and couldn’t believe he wasn’t in there for the start of the game. My friend said he actually waived at coach P and Coach P waived back.

We questioned all of this and as he described what his “Coach P” looked like, we quickly determined it was Boeheim! Been a running joke for us for 30+ years - the texts started again yesterday!

Like most here, never knew him personally but could relate on a couple of different levels. We're 3 months apart in age, both having prostate cancer, both having sons who we would gladly sacrifice everything for. Beyond that, we both are very private individuals who have little patience for critique or criticism from people outside of our circle of family and friends,
Our big difference - he's famous and rich and I'm not even close.

I did, however, meet him once, one on one as he sat alone at the TS. I hesitated to disturb his solitude but needed to tell him something important to me. I apologized, but told him how thankful I was that he had taken the time years ago to write a personal note to my son who had undergone cancer surgery. When he realized it was nothing basketball related, it lightened the whole conversation. He gave me a big smile, shook my hand, and said he hoped everything was going well. Thanks again JB for everything you have done for our community, inside and outside of basketball.

He was hired when I was 15 , It’s crazy how one celebrity is so tied to a city/region. If I’m traveling out of town and I start talking with another sports fan they may no nothing of Syracuse but they know the name Boeheim. The man loves the region , and as said so many times , Truly bleeds orange. He and Julie’s work in Coaches against Cancer and other charities should not be overlooked with all the wins. THANK YOU Jim Boeheim !!

I have it on good authority that Hurley is out and that JB and JC will be coaching the Huskies next year.

The irony of this fun will be when Danny boy can't solve the first round again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom