Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes? | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim is synonymous with Syracuse basketball. Who could succeed him when the time comes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have Rob Murphy on the staff of the next SU coach.

They did not just list Billy Donovan...

Cue the crazy talk

4 current/former assistants, and Donovan. At least he didn't mention Pitino. :p
I was dreading to see who he might list for non-SU guys. Donovan is not that far of a stretch and he does a good job outlining how/why it could happen. If Donovan is happy in the NBA there is no what he leaves OKC for SU. But if he's not and the timing is right?? It's not like he'd go to Providence.

i'd want red or murph

but it's gonna be gerry

and, fwiw, i can't see syracuse paying donovan the kind of money that other schools will dangle in front of him

i'd want red or murph

but it's gonna be gerry

and, fwiw, i can't see syracuse paying donovan the kind of money that other schools will dangle in front of him

I love Red, Murphy and GMac as people, but the thought of any of them being head coach for us in the near future is legitimately depressing to me.

I love Red, Murphy and GMac as people, but the thought of any of them being head coach for us in the near future is legitimately depressing to me.
you never know how people will respond, but on paper - any realistic successor is going to be a major step down. boeheim, for all his personal flaws, is an absolute savant when it comes to basketball

I would be shocked and disappointed if an assistant here without any HC experience were to be handed the gig. Let him get his feet wet somewhere else before SU. I would think the best possible candidate and not necessarily ‘Syracuse ties’ or ‘loyalty to SU’ should be the criteria. Hopefully a search firm involved as well and such.

I would be shocked and disappointed if an assistant here without any HC experience were to be handed the gig. Let him get his feet wet somewhere else before SU. I would think the best possible candidate and not necessarily ‘Syracuse ties’ or ‘loyalty to SU’ should be the criteria. Hopefully a search firm involved as well and such.

You were doing really well until your last sentence.

I give GMac this he went for the Siena job. Which tells me he knows what some of the fanbase thinks.

He should look for a job he can succeed in at the mid-major level get it and show what he can do. Hop showed last year you can be successful outside of the coup.

If GMac doesn’t leave before JB retires him getting the job won’t be panned as a confident selection. If it’s a current assistant I would want Autry all day long,

He went for the Siena job because people don't think he can do the job here? Really?
He went for the Siena job because he knows the fanbase wants the successor to have D-1 coaching experience.
GMac was smart for goIng for the Siena job. I give him credit for it. Honestly. If he gets a HC job in the next few years I think he clears that hurdle.

Search firms suck.

And honestly we went through that BS on the board with Hopkins and 95 percent of people were wrong.

Old and busted: Taking a better job to advance your career, face new challenges, and make more money.

New hotness: Taking a better job to appease message board posters.

Gmac is the reason we’re involved with all these 2019 recruits yet I still have to see KCSU type stupid crap everyday.

Who the heck do you think is going to coach at Duke and UNC?

All these experienced guys are dinosaurs.

Thank god Wildhack will be making the decision because the boards ideas are stupid.

This list isn’t pretty unimaginative. Then again, who knows who will be the next hot up-and-coming coach in CBB in 4-6 years? I think Hop will ultimately take the Cuse job—a top 4 ACC job puts you in a better position for landing the best recruits and getting tourney bids and winning championships than any PAC 12 job save for UCLA and Arizona. Cuse’s revenue potential is extremely high because of the Dome and the ACC affiliation (add in the coming renovation). FYI, the last West Coast team to win a national title was UCLA in 1996, and they’re a blue blood.

If Hop doesn’t take the job, we’ll snag the next up-and-comer Shaka Smart, Archie Miller, Brad Stevens type. Or even a Chris Mack-to-Louisville scenario—a guy who’s won at a high level at a very good basketball school (Xavier) but wants to take things to the next stratosphere (with a top 10-15 CBB job). I’m surprised they didn’t list a guy like Bobby Hurley, who would probably love to return to the East Coast and better recruiting grounds, and get to duke it out with his brother at rival Uconn.

He went for the Siena job because he knows the fanbase wants the successor to have D-1 coaching experience.
GMac was smart for goIng for the Siena job. I give him credit for it. Honestly. If he gets a HC job in the next few years I think he clears that hurdle.
IMO, the fanbase is not making the decision.

Lazy list and even lazier comparision to UConn.

They draw 8,000 fans per game and play in a mid major league.

We are 20,000 a night in the best league. There’s literally nothing the two programs have in common anymore.

Who the heck do you think is going to coach at Duke and UNC?

All these experienced guys are dinosaurs.

Thank god Wildhack will be making the decision because the boards ideas are stupid.

King Rice would get a chance and consideration before Hubert Davis or Brad Frederick. I’m sure the UNC faithful would agree and prefer that. Just like how Rob Murphy should be considered before GMac I would think. Plenty of choices down the road who won’t be dinosaurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom