Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more

That has nothing to do with my point and it still hasn’t deterred the shoe companies.
The shoe and apparel companies, the sports media, the NCAA and the big teams are in collusion. They make the rules and so are technically playing by the rules. It's a lot like WWF, but so are the NFL and the NBA.

Why was nobody complaining about this in the 80s and 90s when all the NBA talent stayed 4 years and you could argue that the systemic abuse was much worse?
Well, no one really went early then. It probabably helped the NBA because they knew who could play, and college teams who kept their players. Different times.

I think 2 and done would be fair to players and colleges.

if you want to get paid then go play somewhere else. nobody makes you enroll in college. if you want some free education and coaching and national exposure then suck it up and quit crying. you ain't playing for free !
Except that the NCAA has such a huge share of the coaches, facilities, and TV market. Options outside the NCAA (especially true with restrictions on entering the NBA) are tiny when compared to just about every other industry. If coaches, apparel and video game companies are able to profit off their likeness, the players should be able to as well. Yes the players could go to Europe. But the schools could pay for their own shoes as well.

Much of the reason put forth for paying bball players is that the NCAA tournament brings in so much money and the players should get some of it. However, most small Div. 1 schools in lesser conferences barely make enough money to support their athletic programs. They get peanuts from the split of tournament dollars. They have no means for paying players and would lose out in recruiting battles.

If players are to be paid, the NCAA tournament profit should be split evenly among all 300+ Division 1 schools and a set pay rate mandated for all players at all schools. To do otherwise would make it impossible for the smaller schools to recruit the talented players.
Every year when the tourny starts, I voice the opinion that the tourny money should be split evenly among ALL D1 schools,and not dased on how far a team advances

Every year when the tourny starts, I voice the opinion that the tourny money should be split evenly among ALL D1 schools,and not dased on how far a team advances
i concur ... because i want to see the p5 conferences separate from the ncaa & form their own, separare authority. and taking away their revenue to redistribute to hundreds of non-competitive programs would provide another powerful incentive to do so.

i concur ... because i want to see the p5 conferences separate from the ncaa & form their own, separare authority. and taking away their revenue to redistribute to hundreds of non-competitive programs would provide another powerful incentive to do so.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I'd love to see this. For basketball, I may invite some other conferences as well (E.g. American, Big East) but the important thing is to seperate the competitive from the non-competitive for both basketball and football. The only downside is that I love a 64 team tournament and I'm not sure if it's feasable with only the power conferences.

Why are we worried about what the college kid does with that money?
Because, if we really care about these kids that come from nothing, throwing a bunch of money at them that they have never managed before can hurt them as much or more than it could help them. Would some of them use it to help their families? Yeah, and that would be great. Would a bunch of them end up getting in trouble with it? Absolutely. If big time compensation starts going to players, I would rather a significant portion of it go in some sort of trust that they have access to after college.

This debate wouldn't be necessary if colleges weren't in the business of being the highest-level minor leagues of the NFL and NBA. I mean, if this wasn't the legacy system no one would build it this way.

"So you're saying an institution of higher learning will also spend tens of millions of dollars every year to support an athletics program that has nothing to do with the core mission of the institution?! What an idea! Next we'll have the Dallas Cowboys open charter schools!"

Every "solution" is lipstick on a pig at this point.

This debate wouldn't be necessary if colleges weren't in the business of being the highest-level minor leagues of the NFL and NBA. I mean, if this wasn't the legacy system no one would build it this way.

"So you're saying an institution of higher learning will also spend tens of millions of dollars every year to support an athletics program that has nothing to do with the core mission of the institution?! What an idea! Next we'll have the Dallas Cowboys open charter schools!"

Every "solution" is lipstick on a pig at this point.
Valid point but as college sports have become such huge business at this point, I think it is necessary to change the rules. At the very least, athletes should have the right to make money - if not from the schools themselves (and I admit there are reasonable arguments for both the pro and the con), certainly from the shoe and video game companies that make money off of them.

Because, if we really care about these kids that come from nothing, throwing a bunch of money at them that they have never managed before can hurt them as much or more than it could help them. Would some of them use it to help their families? Yeah, and that would be great. Would a bunch of them end up getting in trouble with it? Absolutely. If big time compensation starts going to players, I would rather a significant portion of it go in some sort of trust that they have access to after college.
I think a trust is a great idea.

Heard Jay Williams say this a few years ago, and even though it kills me to say he makes a great point, I completely agree. He said open a trust and a certain percentage of revenue goes to it, for each scholarship player. If the kid stays and earns his degree, he gets access to the money, to do with it as they see.

Heard Jay Williams say this a few years ago, and even though it kills me to say he makes a great point, I completely agree. He said open a trust and a certain percentage of revenue goes to it, for each scholarship player. If the kid stays and earns his degree, he gets access to the money, to do with it as they see.
So if they make the jump to the NBA or simply decide college isn't for them they lose the money?

So if they make the jump to the NBA or simply decide college isn't for them they lose the money?
If the school is making a commitment to give them a free education, while allowing them to earn some money, then I do believe the student athlete should make a commitment to the program and himself(most importantly) and earn a degree.

If they just decide college isn't for them, then I hope they have a better option financially than what they're leaving. If dangling a trust account in a kid's face makes him stick around and earn a degree(for free by the way), to better his life, then so be it.

Now I know, college isn't for everyone...blah blah blah. If you don't have any other great options at the time to go make your own startup internet company or some other nice deal, then why not just stick it out and get the degree and open up other doors in your future, simply by having it.

In special cases, like medical, or family emergency(not a crazy mom!...wink wink), that could be something arranged between the school and the player...keep the NCAA's greasy fingers out!!!!!

If the school is making a commitment to give them a free education, while allowing them to earn some money, then I do believe the student athlete should make a commitment to the program and himself(most importantly) and earn a degree.

If they just decide college isn't for them, then I hope they have a better option financially than what they're leaving. If dangling a trust account in a kid's face makes him stick around and earn a degree(for free by the way), to better his life, then so be it.

Now I know, college isn't for everyone...blah blah blah. If you don't have any other great options at the time to go make your own startup internet company or some other nice deal, then why not just stick it out and get the degree and open up other doors in your future, simply by having it.

In special cases, like medical, or family emergency(not a crazy mom!...wink wink), that could be something arranged between the school and the player...keep the NCAA's greasy fingers out!!!!!
I disagree - if the money is to go into a trust, I think it should belong to the player.

Of course I also understand the argument that the school is offering a free education and other benefits that in themselves are compensation. However, money earned from outside endorsements should belong to the player whether they get their degree or drop out.

Maybe they decide a trade school is for them instead of getting a degree for the sake of a degree. They should get access to the money when they leave regardless of when or how. If they stay longer that means more money, so there is built in incentive.

I'm actually one of the people that thinks athletes get enough with their scholarship and the additional money JB mentioned in the article, but if they are going to be paid, it should be their money regardless. I just want to them a chance to mature and use it wisely, especially the guys that have never had money and don't have the firat clue how to handle it.

If it were up to me the whole system would have less money involved in it. Coaches and schools get way too much.

Maybe they decide a trade school is for them instead of getting a degree for the sake of a degree. They should get access to the money when they leave regardless of when or how. If they stay longer that means more money, so there is built in incentive.

I'm actually one of the people that thinks athletes get enough with their scholarship and the additional money JB mentioned in the article, but if they are going to be paid, it should be their money regardless. I just want to them a chance to mature and use it wisely, especially the guys that have never had money and don't have the firat clue how to handle it.

If it were up to me the whole system would have less money involved in it. Coaches and schools get way too much.
I agree completely with what your saying...and based on the numbers in our economy right now...learning a trade is turning out to be a much more successful route for young kids at the point.

But, the kids who this article are really focusing on are not attending school to get an education. Ya know...the primary reason for attending college.

I agree completely with what your saying...and based on the numbers in our economy right now...learning a trade is turning out to be a much more successful route for young kids at the point.

But, the kids who this article are really focusing on are not attending school to get an education. Ya know...the primary reason for attending college.
Yeah, but if they're being paid, it's for the time they were at the school. I'm all for incentives, but reneging on something someone earned isn't the right way to go. Now if they leave midway through the season or become academically inelible they forfeit that year's money because they didn't fulfill their obligation.

And do you think the primary reason the schools are bringing those kids on to their campus is to educate them like their mission states? Of course not. The primary reason is because they want to win games.

Schools want it both ways. They want to play up the amatuer, STUDENT-athlete card to the sponsors and naive fan while behind the scenes they shuffle kids into majors that they know won't be overly demanding, provide "tutors" who will write papers and do the players work for them if the situation calls for it, have a roster of recommended teachers that they have a feeling might pass athletes when they barely even show up or complete anything all so they have as much free time as possible for the weight room and team facilities to work on their game. Then this paper tiger of a degree they were handheld to that doesn't prepare them for life after their sport is supposed to be the great value that outweighs any monetary benefit they could potentially receive while everyone else is running to the bank.

Of course, some players take advantage of the chance to get a great education but there's also a sizable segment of these kids that don't have strong guidance or a support system teaching them the bigger picture. So instead they listen to the coaching staff implying they need to worry less about school and more about what they need to do to get better at their sport so they can make it to the league or whatever their goal is.

And do you think the primary reason the schools are bringing those kids on to their campus is to educate them like their mission states? Of course not. The primary reason is because they want to win games.

Schools want it both ways. They want to play up the amatuer, STUDENT-athlete card to the sponsors and naive fan while behind the scenes they shuffle kids into majors that they know won't be overly demanding, provide "tutors" who will write papers and do the players work for them if the situation calls for it, have a roster of recommended teachers that they have a feeling might pass athletes when they barely even show up or complete anything all so they have as much free time as possible for the weight room and team facilities to work on their game. Then this paper tiger of a degree they were handheld to that doesn't prepare them for life after their sport is supposed to be the great value that outweighs any monetary benefit they could potentially receive while everyone else is running to the bank.

Of course, some players take advantage of the chance to get a great education but there's also a sizable segment of these kids that don't have strong guidance or a support system teaching them the bigger picture. So instead they listen to the coaching staff implying they need to worry less about school and more about what they need to do to get better at their sport so they can make it to the league or whatever their goal is.
I definitely understand that, and the relationship is mutual using from both parties. The schools are using the kids, and the kids are using the school. I would argue the compensation is not equal.

It’s a much more simple fix and paying the players is a discussion that doesn’t even need to be had. Get the players union and NBA to allow high school kids in the draft again. You want to get paid to play. Get drafted or buy a ticket over the pond. You want to play and get a free all expense paid education, go to college. If their parents/guardians/agents etc, give them bad advice that’s on them.

I also think the education should be valued more, but the amount of money some of these kids bring in to their schools is astounding.

I definitely understand that, and the relationship is mutual using from both parties. The schools are using the kids, and the kids are using the school. I would argue the compensation is not equal.

It’s a much more simple fix and paying the players is a discussion that doesn’t even need to be had. Get the players union and NBA to allow high school kids in the draft again. You want to get paid to play. Get drafted or buy a ticket over the pond. You want to play and get a free all expense paid education, go to college. If their parents/guardians/agents etc, give them bad advice that’s on them.

I also think the education should be valued more, but the amount of money some of these kids bring in to their schools is astounding.

My overall big picture view on it is that it’s so far removed from just amateur students playing a sport for their school yet that’s pretty much how the infrastructure is still set up. And any time you have that big of a gap between the reality of a situation and what the regulatory leaders are pretending it still is you’re going to have messes and big time college sports is full of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom