Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim on 1-and-done, grad transfers, paying players, more

PhonyFarflungAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif
Dude - what SU alum is paying for recruits to keep us competitive with the likes of Duke?

Did you see the Football facility and Dome renovation donation drives?

Good luck on getting yearly contributions to pay off some 100ish 17 year old kids.

Dude - what SU alum is paying for recruits to keep us competitive with the likes of Duke?

Good luck on getting yearly contributions to pay to some 100ish 17 year old kids.
You didn't really follow what I was saying.

Sure - but they long ago accepted their mediocrity.

And what we’re talking about is keeping the gravy train rolling financially.

I spent $75 a pop on seats in section 314 for the Duke game this season (and would have paid more if need be.) If a neutered Cuse team was playing a Duke team that could openly pay for prospects I wouldn’t spend a dime even to sit front row.

Would you?
I would absolutely still pay to see Cuse vs Duke.

I would absolutely still pay to see Cuse vs Duke.
Even if there was a 100% chance that Cuse would be steamrolled in that game - and a 0% chance at winning the league or winning a national championship, not only that season but ever again?

You’re a better fan than I am.

Good luck on getting yearly contributions to pay off some 100ish 17 year old kids.

Duke alums are already DOING THIS. Why is this so hard to understand???

And they had the top 3 recruits. They couldn't make the FF.

Duke alums are already DOING THIS. Why is this so hard to understand???

And they had the top 3 recruits. They couldn't make the FF.
Putting it out in the open would make it all that much more impossible to be competitive.

I’d bet my mortgage on the fact that if things changed into a free agent frenzy that state schools that currently aren’t even competitive in basketball right now would be slaughtering SU in recruiting as soon as the rules were changed.

Putting it out in the open would make it all that much more impossible to be competitive.

I’d bet my mortgage on the fact that if things changed into a free agent frenzy that state schools that currently aren’t even competitive in basketball right now would be slaughtering SU in recruiting as soon as the rules were changed.

Where are you getting this from? Those schools could do that right now. The more money you have the more you can fluck off the NCAA. We've been under a microscope for 10 years. We have to be squeaky clean. Once gloves are off we can be more competitive Plus we are a pretty formidable Nike brand. We would be competitive. The ACC offers visability. We were just ranked the 7th most valuable program in basketball last week.

I'm confused on how this works in the context of this conversation which is not about player salaries but rather about players profiting from their images (and endorsements".

Endorsements opens a can of worms, because Nike and the other shoe companies will write checks and direct kids where to go. The issue big picture is trying get money into these kids hands and the easiest way is simply pay them. Louka Dontich turned pro at 13, he was payment market value, which wasn't very much and developed into a well adjusted young man by all accounts. By not paying players but spoiling them with gifts and back hands deals we are fostering the mega ego problem we have in college sports. Now you will haves kids more concerned with the endorsement deal than winning. Good luck coaching that kids.

Last edited:
Endorsements opens a can of worms, because Nike and the other shoe companies will write checks and direct kids where to go. The issue big picture is trying get money into these kids hands and the easiest way is simply pay them. Louka Dontich turned pro at 13, he was payment market value, which wasn't very much and developed into a well adjusted young by all accounts. By not paying players but spoiling them with gifts and back hands deals we are fostering the mega ego problem we have in college sports. Now you will haves kids more considered with the endorsement deal than winning. Good luck coaching that kids.

Sounds like the way Zion ended up at Duke according to Avenatti,Deandre Ayton ended up at Zona, and Bol Bol ended up at Oregon.

Oh wait that's right. It was!!!

Where are you getting this from? Those schools could do that right now. The more money you have the more you can fluck off the NCAA. We've been under a microscope for 10 years. We have to be squeaky clean. Once gloves are off we can be more competitive Plus we are a pretty formidable Nike brand. We would be competitive. The ACC offers visability. We were just ranked the 7th most valuable program in basketball last week.
The majority of ppl don’t operate wanting to break the law or risk getting their school in trouble. You eliminate that risk and the flood gates open.

The majority of ppl don’t operate wanting to break the law or risk getting their school in trouble. You eliminate that risk and the flood gates open.

That has nothing to do with my point and it still hasn’t deterred the shoe companies.

if you want to get paid then go play somewhere else. nobody makes you enroll in college. if you want some free education and coaching and national exposure then suck it up and quit crying. you ain't playing for free !

if you want to get paid then go play somewhere else. nobody makes you enroll in college. if you want some free education and coaching and national exposure then suck it up and quit crying. you ain't playing for free !

They are paying for free. The TV contracts, tickets and merchandise sold pay off their scholarship before they even take the court/field. On top of subsidizing welfare/Olympic sports, they've done more than enough for the school.

They are paying for free. The TV contracts, tickets and merchandise sold pay off their scholarship before they even take the court/field. On top of subsidizing welfare/Olympic sports, they've done more than enough for the school.

that's some funny math.

the investment spent in training ,coaching, travel,meals, housing, education and exposure is major value returned directly to the player. and how you think it's all free is a joke to anybody who ever actually had to pay for this stuff. it ain't cheap. $$$$$. as i said if you don't like the deal then don't sign up. make it on your own.

The racial divide on this issue is well documented and it is a racial issue. Black kids with the opportunity to make money off of their likeness is a problem, but the same people who don't want to see it have no problem shelling out hundreds if not thousands on top of donations to see them play and increase what civic/school pride they have. The same energy isn't kept for swimmers who can make six figures if they win multiple gold medals at the Olympics.

the investment spent in training ,coaching, travel,meals, housing, education and exposure is major value returned directly to the player. and how you think it's all free is a joke to anybody who ever actually had to pay for this stuff. it ain't cheap. $$$$$.

Syracuse basketball made over $30M this past season. They earned that money back and then some.

The scrub 9th man for Fordham ain’t bringing in a dime. The Fab Five were making people rich.

If they’d stop being stupid about all their rules and what the players can and can’t do to earn some money, that would probably make things better.

and how many 18 year olds cleared over a hundred grand in the workplace. boohoo.
my company made zillions. that mean i'm entitled to get a one million ? don't work that way.

and how many 18 year olds cleared over a hundred grand in the workplace. boohoo.

Funny. You should have been good at something growing up. Maybe you could have gone to school for free and have people live vicariously through you the same way some of the posters on this board live through them.

If the average 18 year old gets paid to referee a kids game, everybody is happy for them.

Unless you’re part of the gestapo NCAA.

played 2 sports. worked 2 jobs. got my degree. it wasn't free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom