jimmy boeheim | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

jimmy boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Covering the high post pass is not running in the opposite direction. Also, career .295% 3 point shooter. Probably a good play to INVITE him to shoot. Analytics say that's a good play.
There was no one in the high post for him to cover! He was guarding Marek.

And the guy on ball does not cover the high post. The made shot tells me that was NOT a good play.

video don’t lie.
Watched it live, and multiple times this morning. He was much higher on the first two passes. And Q is supposed to rotate up when the ball is opposite, then Joe takes over, and Q slides back to the corner. The third pass the other guard recognized that Joe was too far away, and Q was still sliding back to the corner. And the shot was made.

But, this is a Jimmy thread. No more on this from me. Unless you'd like to talk about how Jimmy would do in that position instead of Q. I think this will be the most interesting thing about Jimmy joining next year, should this go as Dasher has promised. I know he's been watching it forever, but it will still him a bit to actually get the slides right live. In my never humble opinion.

There was no one in the high post for him to cover! He was guarding Marek.

And the guy on ball does not cover the high post. The made shot tells me that was NOT a good play.
If you want that player to shoot, you sag off. We invite bad shooters to take the shots they are bad at.
If you wait until some one is in the post to defend the are, it’s too late

Same for our HC.
The breakdowns of the zone show where the zone was weak.
There are a lot of theses.

a little confused.. he is supposed to back up there when the shot goes up and the guy is bombing it from 5 ft outside the line.. where else should he go?

a little confused.. he is supposed to back up there when the shot goes up and the guy is bombing it from 5 ft outside the line.. where else should he go?
I think he wants more effort? Looks like Joe is moving without purpose.

With something this obvious I choose to believe that in the scouting report they were told not to close out on Goldwire... Not exactly a shooter

Yeah, to me, this was the equivalent of players turning their back on Giannis Antetokounmpo when he takes 3's. It's just an exaggerated/more disrespectful way of saying we're happy to let you shoot and it just so happens Goldwire made that one.

Edit: Having said that, Joe is definitely a weakness in the zone and arguably the biggest weakness.

With guys like Jimmy, I would expect the goal is for them to defend the 3 as a wing and force a pass or the offensive player to beat them with a pull up or force them to beat the shot blocker inside.

If you watch how we have defended with a true shot blocker the zone is aimed to force an offense to have to deal with that shot blocker or hit the mid range vs getting an open 3. Without a shot blocker the zone aims to defend the pass inside and rotates and chases a lot more.

If you watch how UConn's defense use to play under Calhoun, they were elite in forcing their man to deal with one of the many elite swatters they have had. It's different in the zone but the principle is the same.

This year, in the tourney we defended to better effect without Jesse at times given the lack of familiarity with Marek being a decoy of sorts and allow the weakside wing defender to cleanup. Quincy did an admirable job at times here and was much better in the tourney. The problem with this is and has been the past two years - offenses who put a shooter in the weakside corner give a semi challenging but not impossible pass to the driver for an open 3. Once the weakside guy or Buddy/Joe shift, then the ball can swing while the defense chases. Buddy and Joe were much better in the tourney covering this.

That said, one of the reasons the defense looked so much better with Jesse later on was because we didn't have to over rotate. Jesse effectively is covering two guys leaving 4 to cover 3 in that situation and it reduces the load on the wings to rotate and also the top of the zone too. Having those true centers will help make someone like Jimmy less of weakness. It also allows him and Cole, Benny etc to attack the boards much more effectively, allows the guards to help rebounding so much more etc.

We simply are a chasing defense against an effective zone offense without a shot blocker to generate a numbers advantage in the half court.

He seems to have gotten away from the recruiting side of things and focused more on snark and sarcasm.
He once criticized JB for watching his kid's games instead of recruiting, like it was a 12 year old travel league. Many of those guys from City Rocks were high level D1 players, some in NBA and some now at SU.

A very happy bday to you sir. It's unfortunate how you now have to fight for the bronze medal given the rising star status of CR and CC.
It’s true effort they put forward but I shall reclaim WHAT IS MINE!
No one will ever hold my title above thy head and claim victory over my broken body!

I am what this board needs, a true BORN CUSE FOREVER CUSE!!!

It’s true effort they put forward but I shall reclaim WHAT IS MINE!
No one will ever hold my title above thy head and claim victory over my broken body!

I am what this board needs, a true BORN CUSE FOREVER CUSE!!!
Here's why you can't really hold this title...You know you are a caricature

He chose poorly. You don't give a guy a warm-ups three point look. You just don't. Unless it Marek, or Ben Simmons from a couple years ago, and you know he just won't shoot it.
At the end of the day we’ve all watched the zone longer than most of these players have been alive. Most of us “get it” and know what’s right and wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom