jimmy boeheim | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

jimmy boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the zone problem was 4 fold this year.
1. Some guys don't get how much hustle is required at this level.
2. Braswell and Jessie weren't ready for 3/4 of the season. And I do believe they weren't. (Biggest problem)
3. Undersized at 3 positions for 30+mpg. 4 positions with Griffin and Girard ( not great wingspans)
4.Dolezaj really wasn't good for extending out of an undersized zone. Jessie much better.
It's not players it's the bench. Look at Baylor Who wouldn't want that depth?

They could be bringing him in here just as a bench guy. If QG and Frank come back, I don't see much time for Jimmy Jr. He would have Benny, Cole, QG ahead of him. And Sid, Jesse, and Frank at center ahead of him. Not many minutes there.

He might still want to do it just for the family/school experience. If he knows what is in store for him and is a good teammate, he would be a good addition just in the team sense.
Nobody outs Baby in a corner, and nobody is “ahead” of a Boeheim progeny.

SMH Cole will play. As will Jimmy. As will Benny. Everyone wants more guys to play until they play more guys.
Jesse, Cole, Benny, Buddy Joe
Lots of offense

Do we know that playing at SU is actually something that is on the table for Jimmy? Or is this just board speculation?

according to his mother, that’s the rumor

Same for our HC.
The breakdowns of the zone show where the zone was weak.
There are a lot of theses.

See, I'm going to push back on his language in the tweet. Dean said this is what we've been seeing 'on the regular' since last season. That's just not true. We all reacted to that play because it was so out of the ordinary, even for Joe. It's the only time I can remember Joe sagging that low with the ball on his side. Dean is clearly grinding his axe on this one. Joe is not a great zone defender, mostly because there are so many guys taller than him more than willing to bomb shots from his side of the zone knowing he has less than a 5% chance of coming close to contesting the shot. But this example was a definite outlier here.

why did Q come up on the two prior ball rotations? I agree when the guy started to step into the shot but every year people complain that the opposite ball side guard is supposed to drop to the foul line area. People used to kill cooney for that not understanding the responsibilities.
Joe dropped when the ball was on his side. That's never the right way to play that.

that’s not what I commented on. I was commenting on what was Joe doing. He may have been doing what he was told. That’s why I also asked why Q came up the two prior rotations but not that one.

and yes, cooney was a very good defender. Busted his butt but also understood the zone like the back of his hand. But also yes, there were many posters that used to scream about him dropping to the foul line.
You only drop to the foul line when there is a player from the offense to defend.

With something this obvious I choose to believe that in the scouting report they were told not to close out on Goldwire... Not exactly a shooter
Not closing out and running in the opposite direction are very much different things.

Not closing out and running in the opposite direction are very much different things.
definitely but I suspect if it were a different player he wouldn't have done that. An exaggerated way of Joe saying he didn't respect the shooter.

I saw it as he realized he couldn't close out and ran to help rebound.

I saw it as he realized he couldn't close out and ran to help rebound.
He chose poorly. You don't give a guy a warm-ups three point look. You just don't. Unless it Marek, or Ben Simmons from a couple years ago, and you know he just won't shoot it.

why did Q come up on the two prior ball rotations? I agree when the guy started to step into the shot but every year people complain that the opposite ball side guard is supposed to drop to the foul line area. People used to kill cooney for that not understanding the responsibilities.
He barely moved. His movement radius was 1 foot -- maximum. Let's be honest with ourselves. Girard is a terrible defender.

Joe dropped when the ball was on his side. That's never the right way to play that.

never is never the right answer. His actions were exactly the same all 3 times. The only difference on the 3rd one was that when Goldwire started to go up Joe turned and dropped further looking for a rebound. As others have also noted, it just might be we were going to let goldwire take 3s. But I’m also curious why Q came up the first 2 times.

never is never the right answer. His actions were exactly the same all 3 times. The only difference on the 3rd one was that when Goldwire started to go up Joe turned and dropped further looking for a rebound. As others have also noted, it just might be we were going to let goldwire take 3s. But I’m also curious why Q came up the first 2 times.
No. That's just rationalization.

Covering the high post pass is not running in the opposite direction. Also, career .295% 3 point shooter. Probably a good play to INVITE him to shoot. Analytics say that's a good play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom