jimmy boeheim | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

jimmy boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see. In 18-19 he struggled quite a bit vs the better teams he faced ( SU, Colgate, UConn, SMU, Toledo) while being ok against Wake. He was good for the most part vs Ivy ops.

In 19-20 He did much better having good statistical games vs SU, Bryant, DePaul , Navy and Penn State while having a great conference season as their top option.

the only thing I worry about Jimmy is the fact he didn’t play competitive basketball last year. Could cause him to start slow.

the only thing I worry about Jimmy is the fact he didn’t play competitive basketball last year. Could cause him to start slow.

I know he worked out with Buddy and Devo at their home gym. Did Jimmy work out with the Syracuse team? Is that even legal?

I know he worked out with Buddy and Devo at their home gym. Did Jimmy work out with the Syracuse team? Is that even legal?

not sure about working out with the team. Pretty sure no in official practices but informally he may have worked out with them. But it’s still not competitive games.

See, I'm going to push back on his language in the tweet. Dean said this is what we've been seeing 'on the regular' since last season. That's just not true. We all reacted to that play because it was so out of the ordinary, even for Joe. It's the only time I can remember Joe sagging that low with the ball on his side. Dean is clearly grinding his axe on this one. Joe is not a great zone defender, mostly because there are so many guys taller than him more than willing to bomb shots from his side of the zone knowing he has less than a 5% chance of coming close to contesting the shot. But this example was a definite outlier here.
Listening to Dean about SU is like learning about your sibling’s new spouse from their ex-spouse.

Last edited:
I don't understand adults being excited about a their own birthday. Its just a day. It really an anniversary, which is really commemorating all of your mother's hard work and sacrifice.
I always send my mom flowers on my birthday, as a thank you.
Probably a large baby

Probably a large baby
If referring to me, no. I was small 6 lb 12 oz. My mom had 3 prior miscarriages and had toxemia with me, so I just appreciate what it took to bring me into the world.
Mother’s Day is for all the time after that (as a reply to some other good natured posts on this track.)

Yep. College basketball as a whole would benefit from allowing practice to start earlier this next season with all the transfers, opt outs and the pandemic in general. That said with another spike right now and knowing the NCAA no chance that happens.

If referring to me, no. I was small 6 lb 12 oz. My mom had 3 prior miscarriages and had toxemia with me, so I just appreciate what it took to bring me into the world.
Mother’s Day is for all the time after that (as a reply to some other good natured posts on this track.)
It was in fun context. My mom not so lucky. 8 11

My oldest was 10 lbs 8 oz. (Plus back labor, meaning he was “upside down”, so his head rubbed on her spine all the way out.) I knew then my was was far superior to me.
Lol oh my

You may be 2 for 2.

At being wrong.

Sidibe had a meniscus issue.
Even if he needed a 2nd surgery, those things heal up fairly quickly.
He’s bigger and more experienced than Jesse (& Frank) - so IF he’s able, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he starts.

Why on earth would Jimmy start?

I get that he’s an experienced college player, but he has zero experience w the 2-3 zone, and didn’t even play at all this past season.

At a minimum, that means he would have to beat out at least one of Benny and Cole.

And we still don’t know the status of Q or Griff, so there may be additional comp for Forward minutes.

Lastly - IF both Q and Griff are in the He Gone zone, we may try to pick up another Forward from the portal.

All of which makes the odds that Jimmy starts very low.
This. With Jimmy, I think he can help but it’s all about playing fit his Dad and with his brother at home in the Dome. But frankly, I’m skeptical that he comes here.

I still expect Q to come back. Griffin too.

This. With Jimmy, I think he can help but it’s all about playing fit his Dad and with his brother at home in the Dome. But frankly, I’m skeptical that he comes here.

I still expect Q to come back. Griffin too.
I’ll have what your having but I hope you’re right but my gut says otherwise

I think with Either Q changing his mind or Jimmy, Swider and our centers in the middle; backdoor movement and quick change of direction to the backboard could actually be there all the time. Still worry about our pg making that pass at 6'1. I like the idea of Joe opening up east-west while kicking his feet up near the sideline and preventing transitioning back poorly, while our other general uses his size to push from way up-top.

Last edited:
I was going to say this in the Frank thread but want to stay on topic so I’ll put it here. Everyone complaining about Jimmy Jr. do realize this is the same player that has averaged 15 ppg against us in 3 meetings, including 25 in the last meeting right? He can play and is legit.

I was going to say this in the Frank thread but want to stay on topic so I’ll put it here. Everyone complaining about Jimmy Jr. do realize this is the same player that has averaged 15 ppg against us in 3 meetings, including 25 in the last meeting right? He can play and is legit.
He isn’t exactly killing it in at Cornell. If he wasn’t the coaches son he wouldn’t even receive consideration. His numbers aren’t that impressive, they’re decent. Im sure there’s better options than him in the portal. We need another guard more than we need another forward.

He plays up against Syracuse because he’s playing against his dad and brother ,he looks forward to that game all year.

I’m not complaining about him necessarily. I do thing it’s fair to point out he shot under 30 percent from 3 in the Ivy League 2 years ago.

Thats basically what Bras shot this year, if he can defend like Bras did in his limited mins, I think it’s fine. if he can’t, hell need to pick up that average against better competition which could be tough

He isn’t exactly killing it in at Cornell. If he wasn’t the coaches son he wouldn’t even receive consideration. His numbers aren’t that impressive, they’re decent. Im sure there’s better options than him in the portal. We need another guard more than we need another forward.

He plays up against Syracuse because he’s playing against his dad and brother ,he looks forward to that game all year.

Good points. He’ll be good for us in the forward rotation as the third forward, although I do worry that JB is going to see him as the first or second forward at the expense of Benny or Cole. Hope that’s not the case.

I’m not complaining about him necessarily. I do thing it’s fair to point out he shot under 30 percent from 3 in the Ivy League 2 years ago.

Thats basically what Bras shot this year, if he can defend like Bras did in his limited mins, I think it’s fine. if he can’t, hell need to pick up that average against better competition which could be tough

He did shoot a more respectable 35% from 3 the year before that tho...

Bras was good on defense but good is relative. He wasn't even a poor man's Hakim Warrick. His athleticism was partly negated by playing injured. If we were asking JB to replace Hakim then that is one thing, we aren't. I think people are overestimating the degrees of separation here. Bras is a better defender but Boeheim can play well enough would be my guess. On offense watch Boeheims tape. He has both an outside and inside game. Bras didn't. Ultimately what I am driving at is we lose some things with Bras and get some things with Boeheim. It will likely be a wash.

Bras was good on defense but good is relative. He wasn't even a poor man's Hakim Warrick. His athleticism was partly negated by playing injured. If we were asking JB to replace Hakim then that is one thing, we aren't. I think people are overestimating the degrees of separation here. Bras is a better defender but Boeheim can play well enough would be my guess. On offense watch Boeheims tape. He has both an outside and inside game. Bras didn't. Ultimately what I am driving at is we lose some things with Bras and get some things with Boeheim. It will likely be a wash.

yeah...that’s what I’m expecting, which is why I said have no complaints in general with the move. If he can shoot at the 35 percent clip mentioned above or create offense, I don’t think any loss in defense is as much of an issue...I do think it’s fair to ask if he can duplicate against a higher level of comp

"It's his Super Bowl" as they say...

The other thing about the "complaints" isn't necessarily that he 'can't play.' It's that he's probably not up to the level of player we need to get back to 'glory days,' and he'd ostensibly be blocking a younger player with more upside, and ostensibly be given more minutes than he deserves.

I would have no problem with him coming if he actually were going to get minutes on objective merit. But, i don't have a lot of confidence in that aspect.

As jdubs said—maybe he'd thrive under less attention. He's a solidly-built kid, who knows what to do. In any other context, he'd be a plus. But, i worry about a Buddy/Jimmy/Cole/Joe/Jesse team, where that's 5 out of 5 guys on the court who can't beat anyone one-on-one and only one of those guys is a decent/good defender and he's the guy who "wasn't ready" 90% of this year.

Jimmy was by far Cornell’s best offensive option. He won’t nearly get that sort of defensive attention here - he’ll be a lot more efficient here

THIS.

He was their opponents #1 guy to check on D.

Here, he’ll likely be our 3rd or 4th option while on the floor.
Totally different situations.

I’d expect him to hit mid-30’s again from 3, since he’ll not be the guy with the ball in his hands as the clock expires trying to hit a contested shot several times a game.

Which is one upgrade from Marek, who seemed like he was banned from taking 3’s this past season, much to his and our detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom