JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

No doubt.. block S logo threes!!!

How fun would it be to be dropping a bunch of

Screenshot_20230615_101406_Messages.jpg

Early next season for good reasons...

I still don’t understand what is going on with his release point. It is still lower than it was 3-4 years ago.
I think it's typical when shooting from that super long range to lower the release. Hopefully when he shoots from the college line or inside the arc, his release is higher.

I think it's typical when shooting from that super long range to lower the release. Hopefully when he shoots from the college line or inside the arc, his release is higher.
I still don’t understand what is going on with his release point. It is still lower than it was 3-4 years ago.
I never saw his high school highlights, I try not to research every kid we are connected to, since most of them go elsewhere. That said, Starling's shot looked good to me. It's not a weird push shot, even from 40 feet he was shooting a true jumper.

Looking at this clip again, he doesn't seem to have anything wrong with his shot, although they always look better when they go in.

Last edited:
His release is so quick, it's hard to see, even in slow motion, whether the shot comes from the chest or is at least at eye level. I don't think it matters where he releases the ball because he is so fast at getting the ball out.

Thank god someone said it. I know his shoulder was bothering him at ND. Did it really cause that much damage? He was a pure shooter in high school. Shot looked broken at ND… and in his ig story, continues to look hitchy and weird.

I don't think it's injury seeing it now. Looks like they had him change it during his time at ND. It doesn't look as bad to me as it did at ND. Hopefully Gerry can help him clean it up. If Tyus can hit a decent clip with the mess of a shot he had confident JJ should still be ok...

As someone noted about speed of his release... that looks like the adjustment. Going for a quicker release but lower. That's really questionable coaching as I see it from ND... it's also what you see from many of their shooters when you watch them.. in terms of a lower release point.

Last edited:
I don't think it's injury seeing it now. Looks like they had him change it during his time at ND. It doesn't look as bad to me as it did at ND. Hopefully Gerry can help him clean it up. If Tyus can hit a decent clip with the mess of a shot he had confident JJ should still be ok...

As someone noted about speed of his release... that looks like the adjustment. Going for a quicker release but lower. That's really questionable coaching as I see it from ND... it's also what you see from many of their shooters when you watch them.. in terms of a lower release point.
If that was changed by the staff at ND, then woooooof. No wonder they’ve stunk for yrs.

To be clear if he makes them it doesn’t matter to me, but it’s been a noticeable progression over a few years to this release.

To be clear if he makes them it doesn’t matter to me, but it’s been a noticeable progression over a few years to this release.

Generally curious the ND influence. Both Wertz and Hammond had lower release points at ND than prior after a little digging which is really surprising given Hammond was a GT. Didn't see a change with Ryan or a couple other guys.

Agree on him making them...

Generally curious the ND influence. Both Wertz and Hammond had lower release points at ND than prior after a little digging which is really surprising given Hammond was a GT. Didn't see a change with Ryan or a couple other guys.

Agree on him making them...
I would be surprised if the "ND influence" was the primary reason for JJ's poor shooting. Not even sure there is an ND influence. ND shot 35.8% from 3 last year; middle of the pack in the conference. The two seasons prior, they were 2nd (38%) and 3rd (37%) in the ACC

BTW, Hammond shot 41% last season

In general, it is very difficult to meaningfully change a player's shot. Yes, it happens. But that is the exception more than the rule. Not sure why they would mess with JJ's shot, he came with a rep as a shooter. I expect him to shoot well this season.

I would be surprised if the "ND influence" was the primary reason for JJ's poor shooting. Not even sure there is an ND influence. ND shot 35.8% from 3 last year; middle of the pack in the conference. The two seasons prior, they were 2nd (38%) and 3rd (37%) in the ACC

BTW, Hammond shot 41% last season

In general, it is very difficult to meaningfully change a player's shot. Yes, it happens. But that is the exception more than the rule. Not sure why they would mess with JJ's shot, he came with a rep as a shooter. I expect him to shoot well this season.

So to be clear I wasn't saying anything about the other guys shot being less effective just that I noticed a change.

As for messing with his shot I think that changing or tweaking is not uncommon. Just look at Benny's shot for instance. A lower release point isn't usually desirable but a faster release is. Again we are talking minor differences. Point is it's noticeable as others have mentioned. For some guys making adjustments helped and I'm sure any change had the same intent but it doesn't always help.

I highly doubt ND changed his shot. Didn’t he have shoulder issues?

Changing a shot form vs altering is a big difference. No one said "change his overall shot". He did have a shoulder issue but when you watch tape over time it does not look like that is the overall issue over the years. It did look like it impacted him over several games this past year which I noted in another post as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom