JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

He took that walk-on to school!

Regardless of the level of the opposition, there is a level of skill in executing a move. Either you do it well, or you do it "just ok".

In my opinion, a player can sell a move with a fake, and there is a degree of "how much" he has to fake the move. Like, some guys do a ball fake, and it's elaborate and it really hooks someone. But on the other hand, a more elaborate move gives the defender a moment to get his hand in there and break it up.

When I was in school, I was defending a really talented guy one time one-on-one. He was a 10.3 100 yard guy, so that's low 11-point something for 100 meters today, right? A FAST guy.

It's like going against a pitcher with a great fastball. You are hyper-twitchy anticipating the move, ready to jump to defend it. And when the defender feels like that, just a subtle twitch is enough to trigger the defender's reaction - because the guy is so damn fast.

On the other hand, if it's Joe Girard or Buddy Boeheim doing that dribble drive, and then stopping in the paint, and pivoting to get an opening to shoot, you don't have to jump so hard on the fake, or on the move.

My observation was that his move was just a twitch, not a whole "sales job" on the move. That translates against better defenders. That's what I'm saying.

Regardless of the level of the opposition, there is a level of skill in executing a move. Either you do it well, or you do it "just ok".

In my opinion, a player can sell a move with a fake, and there is a degree of "how much" he has to fake the move. Like, some guys do a ball fake, and it's elaborate and it really hooks someone. But on the other hand, a more elaborate move gives the defender a moment to get his hand in there and break it up.

When I was in school, I was defending a really talented guy one time one-on-one. He was a 10.3 100 yard guy, so that's low 11-point something for 100 meters today, right? A FAST guy.

It's like going against a pitcher with a great fastball. You are hyper-twitchy anticipating the move, ready to jump to defend it. And when the defender feels like that, just a subtle twitch is enough to trigger the defender's reaction - because the guy is so damn fast.

On the other hand, if it's Joe Girard or Buddy Boeheim doing that dribble drive, and then stopping in the paint, and pivoting to get an opening to shoot, you don't have to jump so hard on the fake, or on the move.

My observation was that his move was just a twitch, not a whole "sales job" on the move. That translates against better defenders. That's what I'm saying.
I’m just busting your chops, but to take anything away from that is a reach lol…. All in good fun

He looks like he’s hit the weight room…

We musta built one in the off season
giphy.gif

Surprised Wait What GIF

But wait. I've heard over and over that we have been strength and conditioning all along. Are you saying something has changed?

We have been. None of those gains from freshman to sophomore year listed above is a surprise. They aren’t football players though looking to gain 30-40 pounds and bulk up. Except for Triche and Cooney I guess who may have gotten too big and lost some flexibility. Not everyone is a Marek either.

We have been. None of those gains from freshman to sophomore year listed above is a surprise. They aren’t football players though looking to gain 30-40 pounds and bulk up. Except for Triche and Cooney I guess who may have gotten too big and lost some flexibility. Not everyone is a Marek either.
What is it that perpetuates the myth that adding muscle inevitably causes someone to lose flexibility? With proper dynamic and static stretching, it does not happen.

What is it that perpetuates the myth that adding muscle inevitably causes someone to lose flexibility? With proper dynamic and static stretching, it does not happen.
Correct - we have been getting outmuscled for a while, and in my opinion our mindset has not been tough. Watching Jimmy and JG3 sit at the scorers table while the kid from Auburn mfed JB with no reactions ...from anyone...is us in a nutshell the last few years.

It's not "inevitable", you're right about that part. But there is a big difference between lean muscle and bulky (steroids-induced) muscle mass.

It's not "inevitable", you're right about that part. But there is a big difference between lean muscle and bulky (steroids-induced) muscle mass.

Eh. Not so much.

You ever see male Olympic gymnasts?

Those dudes are rocked up beyond belief.
They also have insane flexibility.

One thing does not preclude the other.

I mean - a perfect real-world example is Michael Jordan.
He wasn't all that great of a shooter in his earlier years. He was also pretty lean.
Later on, he bulked up quite a bit (relatively speaking), AND also became a MUCH better outside shooter.

Correct - we have been getting outmuscled for a while, and in my opinion our mindset has not been tough. Watching Jimmy and JG3 sit at the scorers table while the kid from Auburn mfed JB with no reactions ...from anyone...is us in a nutshell the last few years.
Can you imagine what a player like DC would have done?
Conrad McRae once said that his freshmen year in practice he went for a rebound. He ended up on his back, with DC looking at him, and DC told him around here you go for rebounds hard.

Can you imagine what a player like DC would have done?
Conrad McRae once said that his freshmen year in practice he went for a rebound. He ended up on his back, with DC looking at him, and DC told him around here you go for rebounds hard.

DC was a BAD man. I'll never forget how when the team would come out of the locker room for warmups, he would run straight their their segment of the court across their layup line, instead of going around the outside like everyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom