JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Transferring to Syracuse

A few thoughts after reading 7 pages of this thread...

- I just don't see Joe coming back and accepting a reduced role after how he was utilized under Jim. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I just don't see it at all., which may be the best thing for everyone involved.

- Hopefully Copeland has an increased role next year. I would think that Red has already shared his vision for him, which hopefully means more playing time. Otherwise, I could see him leave but hopefully not - I love the idea of Cope along with JJ and Judah!

- I really like what Symir has done for the program while here, but I think it's time for upgraded talent. Provided that we have Mintz, JJ, Cope, and JT playing guard, I don't see a role for him any longer - which like Joe, is probably good for everyone involved.

- As a program, we all know Syracuse has a strong brand. However, it has gotten a bit stale and tired. Red looks like he will infuse some much needed energy and freshness to that brand. That in turn should pay dividends, like what we just saw with JJ.

- As excited as I am about JJ, now we just need to hold onto Judah and Jesse. Then, look out ACC.

I like Copeland a lot, but he doesn't add the shooting we need at guard. If Judah and JJ are the primary 2 of the 3 guards, that's 2 guys who shot 30% from three, and neither gets 5+ assists a game. Judah's assists will likely go up, but we still need a shooter - maybe it's Taylor, maybe it's another portal dude.

Copeland can play as a small forward in man, and he's really good in the press

Last edited:
Great JJ came home for himself, us and his family. Nice start for Red.

The best guard tandem I ever saw play for us were Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thompson.
A traditional point guard, Sherman Douglas was the ultimate floor leader, leading Syracuse to its best three year run in school history. 'The General' was an excellent ball handler, who was a clutch scorer during the crucial moments of the game.

His centers/power forwards were Coleman and Seikaly two excellent bigs on those teams and that makes a huge difference.

With Douglas alley - oop pass to Thompson on the fast break or Coleman or Seiklay to slam it, we had tremendous guard play and a lot of scoring.

But, things aren't traditional in basketball anymore.

Maybe JJ and Mintz working together in the backcourt can create a dynamic duo, if you will, with Mintz at the point and Starling at the shooting guard - although, IMO, both are drivers with Starlings ND tape being the more experienced in control of the ball and scoring. They both can create and score and that's a good thing.

If JJ and Judah are going get creative and drive it to the basket seems like the tape I saw from dmacnabbrules, Starling does have both an excellent handle and driving skills to the basket, good mid range plus he can hit the 3 from the corner.

At least we will have, if Judah arrives again, two excellent guards. The biggest point here though is without Jesse we do not have a legit Center and we need that position covered. I hope he's back if we are looking to be a good team next year.

In any case we are the much better for JJ coming home than without him. But, both Judah and Jesse need to play next season to make it all work. Otherwise it's the portal - good luck with that.

Good post. One thing I think will happen, if we don't add, say a SF who is a lights out shooter, is that people are going to zone us, and that will take away their driving lanes. Two guards who both want to drive, need to have a couple other guys who can shoot the 3.

I like Copeland a lot, but he doesn't add the shooting we need at guard. If Judah and JJ are the primary 2 of the 3 guards, that's 2 guys who shot 30% from three, and neither gets 5+ assists a game. Judah's assists will likely go up, but we still need a shooter - maybe it's Taylor, maybe it's another portal dude.

Copeland can play as a small forward in man, and he's really good in the press
I could see Copeland playing a Mike G. type of role. Mike G. couldn't shoot a lick even after sitting out a year. Hopefully Copeland could make that transition.

I could see Copeland playing a Mike G. type of role. Mike G. couldn't shoot a lick even after sitting out a year. Hopefully Copeland could make that transition.

No, I don't think you're remembering correctly. Gbinije was a good outside shooter. He shot 39% from three for his career.

That just shows how far the talent had fallen off the last few years. Judah and Jesse are the only 2 who would have even seen the floor on those teams.
And they would have gotten very few minutes as reserves.
Actually, to show the impact of context, Judah would have probably gotten Sherman Douglas minutes, from when Sherman was a freshman.

I agree. I'm saying bell has upside too (not as much). That's all. I'm very happy about starling. I'm just saying that it's easier to be optimistic about someone who you didn't watch miss all those shots.
I would peg you as someone who would get behind the "science" or "math" of small sample sizes and the context of how/where/when those shots are taken.

I think/hope we saw JJ's shooting floor at ND, not his norm or his ceiling.

Remember when Elijah Hughes came in from East Carolina after his freshman season where he scored less than 8 ppg and only shot 35% from the field and 27% from 3? What a miserable transfer that turned out to be for us.
im not on the JJ can’t shoot train.

but Hughes sat out a year. Apples and oranges.

Didn't he score 11 points a game? Sure, he only shot about 30% from three, but he has a lot of upside.
Starling, as a guard, shot a very good 2pt% which seems to be overlooked. He looks a bit like Mintz in his ability to finish in traffic, especially in isolation and off ball screens.

Even if he doesn't shoot better from three, he will be a very helpful player for us next year.

I think, like Benny Williams as a freshman, Starling was in a very difficult situation as a highly recruited freshman joining a team of extremely experienced entrenched starters that combined to make a bad team. Starling did really well under those circumstances.

Next year is going to be night and day, with everyone, including the coaches, expecting him to come in and be an important piece from day one.

Starling, as a guard, shot a very good 2pt% which seems to be overlooked. He looks a bit like Mintz in his ability to finish in traffic, especially in isolation and off ball screens.

Even if he doesn't shoot better from three, he will be a very helpful player for us next year.

I think, like Benny Williams as a freshman, Starling was in a very difficult situation as a highly recruited freshman joining a team of extremely experienced entrenched starters that combined to make a bad team. Starling did really well under those circumstances.

Next year is going to be night and day, with everyone, including the coaches, expecting him to come in and be an important piece from day one.
Effective Field Goal Percentage blends and weighs FG% for 2s and 3s.
Mintz 46.7% eFG%
Starling 46.5% eFG%

Neither are JJ Reddick.
Neither are Stevie Thompson (non layups, dunks, lobs).

Last edited:
Effective Field Goal Percentage blends and weighs FG% for 2s and 3s.
Mintz 46.7%
Starling 46.5%

Neither are JJ Reddick.
Neither are Stevie Thompson (non layups, dunks, lobs).
I think separating two and three point percentages is useful for predicting what could happen going forward.

Starling and Mintz both possess the ability to advance the ball into the teeth of the defense and convert at a high rate.

By your standard, Girard with his .503 effective shooting percentage is a better shooter than Mintz and Starling. But the last place we want Girard is driving into the other teams paint trying to make layups.

This is why I reference Starling's two point percentage and watch his highlights separately. If he and Mintz can bring up their three point percentages, they would be complete offensive players. Girard for an example can't do that. In spite of his superior eFG%

I would peg you as someone who would get behind the "science" or "math" of small sample sizes and the context of how/where/when those shots are taken.

I think/hope we saw JJ's shooting floor at ND, not his norm or his ceiling.
Chip is going to ask you to peg him now

I wouldn’t mind red picking up a 4/5 who could step outside the 3 point line if he thinks Judah and JJ can’t shoot. That’ll free up the paint and allow them to operate

Mintz, Starling and Copeland are the EXACT type of guards you want on your team if you plan on pushing the ball and running a lot of fast breaks. 3 dudes who are GREAT at getting their hands on the ball on defense and turning it into offense. Also 3 guys who are really good at breaking down an opposing defender. These 3 are going to thrive in a system like that. I’m pretty confident Judah knows that too and he knows he’s in for huge year individually and as a team. I’m pretty confident Mintz is coming back next season

By your standard, Girard with his .503 effective shooting percentage is a better shooter than Mintz and Starling. But the last place we want Girard is driving into the other teams paint trying to make layups.
Joe was much improved in this regard in this past season. Something clicked in mid-December (more in isolation, than in going to the hoop. He was well inside the 3-point arch, however). That said, he struggled mightily in in the same scenarios in the previous three seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom