JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless to take over Carrier Dome Naming Rights

Hull mentions that the students were trying to get the facility named after Ernie Davis, which is true.

I don’t think he realizes that effort was led by SU student Kathy Courtney. The same Kathy who later became Kathy Hochul and then the Governor of NYS.

She was also SA vice-president, and led the effort to lobby the University to divest its investments in South African companies.

Maybe because Melvin Holm was not only the CEO of Carrier at the time but also the Chair of the SU Board of Trustees. It makes more sense that Mr. Holm, not some Public Affairs person at Carrier, and the board of Carrier decided to gift the money to Syracuse.
That’s a different chain of events, not primarily a different timeline.

Here’s the only point I made. For example, if they were to give us $2m/yr for 10 years that would be $20m. If the cost to install 5G in the dome is $5m, the net would be $15m plus the work. If they do the full campus and it would cost $20m, we’d likely get no money. Of course these are all made up numbers because I have no idea what they should be. But the 5G work whatever it is will offset part of what they would give us in naming rights.
Good recap. The fact that SU and JMA were able to utilize barter as a financial component is most likely the reason this deal was done

They hit the easy button to close on financing 44 years ago. It was a different world.

instead of criticizing how they did it, we should all be thankful that a community this size was able to have a 50k capacity domed stadium.
Well put. The goal of getting the dome built was achieved.

It was close to being warm and fuzzy embrace. The underwrote almost 10% of the cost - close to $3 million (under the auspices of United Technology as I remember). It was good corporate citizenship and a locally warm financial embrace.
This one w/JMA Wireless is purely mercenary and the company, as I said is just some soulless name conjuring images of invisible modernity and not especially relatable. Almost humorous like KFC Yum Center or Tony Macaroni Arena.
Carrier = kinda cozy, local concern.
JMA Wireless = just a billboard, a faceless company. I mean I hold no enmity towards them and I do wish them luck, but it’s just a part of the goofy reality of modern economics.
More power to Wildhack.

Agree with you on this. And I think Carrier gets remembered poorly for actions taken by United Technologies Corporation after it acquired Carrier and began treating it like a possession in its tool box rather than like the Syracuse based company that Carrier had been before it was acquired by UTC.

It will be called The JMA Wireless Dome. $5 Million per year. For JMA it's not just the naming rights for the Syracuse BB and FB venue but for all the concerts that have and will be held at the Dome.

The time structure of the deal may be ten years - or longer.
This is according to the speculation brought up on CuseSportsTalk (post 150), and not a confirmed fact

I like JMA Stadium or JMA Forum much better. In fact, "forum" I think is much more fitting and would be supberb

I am not kidding when I say this, nor do I mean this out of pure dislike or spite, but I will literally never refer to the dome as the JMA Wireless Dome.

I am not kidding when I say this, nor do I mean this out of pure dislike or spite, but I will literally never refer to the dome as the JMA Wireless Dome.
I understand that many will have this sentiment.

I, on the other hand, have been waiting for this announcement for some time, and I am ready to call it something different right now. Just tell me what we are calling it and I'm in

listen can you hear me now GIF by Brimstone (The Grindhouse Radio, Hound Comics)

It is very unlikely that Carrier allowed this without being compensated. They are not a victim. The name is worth $$ and they would likely not give it away for free to SU. They also knew there might be a legal battle that they could lose so my guess is that that were paid by SU an amount equal to the rights adjusted by the risk they could lose a lawsuit.

Last edited:
I understand that many will have this sentiment.

I, on the other hand, have been waiting for this announcement for some time, and I am ready to call it something different right now. Just tell me what we are calling it and I'm in

Fair enough take; its name is its name, after all.

But I can't shake generations-old names like the Sears Tower or Jacobs Field or Bruce Jenner, it's just too much to keep track of!

One thing does need clarification...

"Only years later were corporate names attached to facilities, names which were granted for specified periods of time."

That's not true. In 1971 the then-Boston Patriots built a stadium in my hometown of Foxboro, Mass. They entered into a licensing agreement with the Schaefer Brewing Company to name the stadium after their beer for a length of time.

Obviously that was 8 years prior to the Carrier deal.

Naming rights were in their infancy in the late 1970s, but they weren't unheard of.

And what a name it was.

7121__32619.1642775163.jpg

Did we ever firmly establish who provided the bulk of the air conditioning equipment for the renovated Dome? This quote is from an article almost exactly one year ago:

{Syracuse Vice President and Chief Campus Facilities officer Pete Sala said in October that he did not expect Carrier to be heavily involved in the renovation but that the school utilized some Carrier products at the school’s steam plant, which is integral to cooling buildings across campus.}

It’s possible Carrier had diminished interest in the naming rights in perpetuity if it was utilizing competitive equipment. In the article it’s odd that Wildhack states the AC will be the “best system in the world.”

Could be that JW was setting Carrier up for new negotiations by selecting competitive equipment.

Last edited:
Fair enough take; its name is its name, after all.

But I can't shake generations-old names like the Sears Tower or Jacobs Field or Bruce Jenner, it's just too much to keep track of!
"With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good".

Not many naming rights deal covers 5 major sports teams. The Dome gets exposure through Football, mens and women‘s basketball, and mens and women‘s lacrosse. It’s not just a one season sport.
Only 2 of those matter from an exposure standpoint.

you also have to wonder what real value and of the naming rights really offer to a company. How many people even called if the carrier dome.. Even the people I know from other schools just called it the Dome..

Many big arenas have naming rights deals but in reality they mostly are called something else by 95% of the people.

you also have to wonder what real value and of the naming rights really offer to a company. How many people even called if the carrier dome.. Even the people I know from other schools just called it the Dome..

Many big arenas have naming rights deals but in reality they mostly are called something else by 95% of the people.
It is not about what we fans call it. It is about what it is called by announcers, reporters, news media, advertising media, in visual clips, etc..

how much is the product gonna be used by the avg fan though.. where will they make their money.. the taco bell dome at least the name pushed into the stream of people buying the product. the JMA dome the people hearing the name dont buy the product and the people who do use their product wont stumble across it on a game promo

how much is the product gonna be used by the avg fan though.. where will they make their money.. the taco bell dome at least the name pushed into the stream of people buying the product. the JMA dome the people hearing the name dont buy the product and the people who do use their product wont stumble across it on a game promo
yeah. so JMA is stupid

If only there was a way for companies to measure the value of naming rights and brand recognition...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom