Joe and Jesse 5th year question? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe and Jesse 5th year question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto.

We can’t pay Jesse NIL as a foreign-born student-athlete.
Although I’m sure a team like Kentucky would find a way to make it happen.

And while I appreciate how well Joe has done overall this year (with a handful of awful clunkers mixed in) it just feels like it’s time for him to move on to the next phase of his life.

I’d be shocked - shocked - if either came back.
Especially Jesse.
He can do NIL activities and get paid for them while he is back in Netherlands.

No idea if NIL has any impact on him coming back. I have no idea about most things.

Ditto.

And while I appreciate how well Joe has done overall this year (with a handful of awful clunkers mixed in) it just feels like it’s time for him to move on to the next phase of his life.

Especially Jesse.
Well, Jesse can get nil money in the same way that the kid from Kentucky got it. On a foreign summer trip. And I'm pretty sure we are taking one next summer.

What I've learned from this thread is that either:

A. There is no chance at all of either Jesse or Joe staying
or
B. Of course they're staying and we're going to be deep and dangerous next year

Where else can you find such insightful intelligence as this!?

Last edited:
I get the impression Jesse likes college AND Cuse but also lack of $$ opportunities at the moment hurts as he probably would like to earn a few bucks. Perhaps a creative workaround to his current visa crops up for him and everyone is happy

What I've learned from this thread is that either:

A. There is no chance at all of either Jesse or Joe staying
or
B. Of course they're staying and we're going to be deep and dangerous next year

Where else can you find such insightful intelligence as this!?

If you want a great burger, Wegmans in Fayetteville is sneaky good.

You’re welcome!

Ditto.

Especially Jesse.
There are at least two ways to make it happen. I am sure both are being investigated.

The Kentucky solution was an offshore summer trip like the one we took to Italy a few years ago.

The other is a reclassification from a student visa to an O-1 visa which I believe is what foreign born professional athletes are covered by.

I am reasonably Sue that if Jesse wants to come back we will find a way to ensure he is compensated

Given Jesse's improvement this season he can very likely leave to get paid to play in a Euro league. So the only way I see him staying is if he gets an NIL deal that pays him more and makes it worthwhile to stay. Joe is probably a better bet to stay. 6' guards are not usually in high demand unless they have exceptional athleticism and that's not the case here.

I was looking at Joes stats..

Played 118 games and scored 1551
Buddy played 121 games and scored 1765

we have 6 left to play 1 ACC plus with a couple wins at least 1 NIT game
8 x 17 = 136 thats 1687.. less than 80 less. needs to find 5 more games to catch him or score like 20 down the stretch

Buddy shot 36.3 Joe is at 36.3 from 3.

Joe is gonna get 100 more rebounds 40 more steals and 200 more assists.. Not a bad run

He has a clear shot at #2 on the SU list if he goes 1 more yr.
Joe has 100 more rebounds than Buddy? That is an insane commentary on Buddy's game.

Every comparable player to these guys has left with eligibility and little/no shot at being drafted. Battle, Buddy, and Marek. Hard to see a better option out there for either portal or pro even if we have a new coach.

Being on a good team that has no shot at an NCAA Tournament at large *should* make them want another year and chance to make the Tournament they've both been big parts of making the second weekend. Edwards of course had his coming out party in it and was DNP'd by Boeheim that same season.

Joe is not an NBA candidate ...too small, too slow ...really good college player ...should do the 5th year instead of playing in some overseas country for peanuts ...losing him won't hurt us with Taylor back who will only get better and is much bigger...if most of this team stays they could be very good next year ...Jesse has a better shot at NBA but could use some weight and strength ...let's hope Mintz stays!
Assuming Taylor stays if Joe stays maybe an error.

JB said at the beginning of the season that he expects everybody to return, and if there are any "unexpected" departures at the end of the season, they'll be handled through the portal.

As of right now, Joe and Jesse leaving would be unexpected.
Everybody? Including JB himself?

If Joe comes back, Justin has a tough decision to make with Moore coming the following year. If Mintz leaves, Joe could go back to the point. A lot of moving parts. If Adams comes, it takes away some time for Justin at the three. If Mintz leaves, I have to believe SU looks for a point in the portal unless they think Copeland can handle the point. What does Symir do? It should be interesting. I hope we don’t lose anyone.

If Joe comes back, Justin has a tough decision to make with Moore coming the following year. If Mintz leaves, Joe could go back to the point. A lot of moving parts. If Adams comes, it takes away some time for Justin at the three. If Mintz leaves, I have to believe SU looks for a point in the portal unless they think Copeland can handle the point. What does Symir do? It should be interesting. I hope we don’t lose anyone.
If Joe is the PG, without anyone on better on the bench to help him, the team won’t be a tourney team. We’ve seen this story before

Well, Jesse can get nil money in the same way that the kid from Kentucky got it. On a foreign summer trip. And I'm pretty sure we are taking one next summer.
Oscar didn’t make all his NIL from that one foreign trip but he made at least 30% from that one week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom