John Belein? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

John Belein?

If I’m interviewing Red he would have to knock my socks off with his plan for the future direction of the program. It’s a rebuild now. Not a let’s keep this going.

He’d also have to impress me with his explanation as to why he’s been middle management his entire career.

That's right -- this is not the time for a continuity hire.

In actuality, the opposite direction is what's needed to get things turned around.

Last edited:
Well think about it from their perspective, why would young successful P5 coaches like Otzelberger and Tang leave for what can only be considered as a rebuilding program. If they keep on winning for a few more years, they’d start being considered for Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type jobs. Why risk that to jump to a program like ours that may as a brand be only marginally better than KSU or ISU, and is going to be a multiple year rebuild and the chance they go .500 here for the next 4 years, get fired, and lose all the shine they currently have.

I can think of 33,000 reasons why an up and coming coach would want to come here.

Any coach worth their salt is going to have extreme confidence in themselves. Jobs like Syracuse don't come around often. If they succeed here, then nothing would prevent them from jumping to a Kansas, Kentucky, etc. down the road.

I can think of 33,000 reasons why an up and coming coach would want to come here.

Any coach worth their salt is going to have extreme confidence in themselves. Jobs like Syracuse don't come around often. If they succeed here, then nothing would prevent them from jumping to a Kansas, Kentucky, etc. down the road.
Or the NBA, if that's their goal. I think that Brad Stevens has had an attractive career path:
Asst --> NCAA D1 Coach --> NBA Coach --> NBA GM

yes this. and the fact that jobs like Syracuse don't come around often...the poster thinks they'll hang around in their low level jobs in case Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc type job opens up? How often does that happen. This is basketball not football.

Any up and comer is going to put their name in the hat at Syracuse. It's an elite job. So tired of the inferiority complex that Syracuse fans have.

To be fair to Red.

Tang was a long time assistant. He was an assistant at Baylor from 2003-2022.

Tommy Lloyd was assistant at Gonzaga from 2001-2021.

Not that he would be my choice because he wouldn’t be. But being a long time assistant doesn’t disqualify you from being successful.
Look at Baylor and Gonzaga the last decade.

Those 2 were part of winning cultures and environments. I am sure they both learned a ton from Scott Drew and Mark Few about building a program.

Look what our assistants have been a part of, especially lately. I am not sure how much say they have, but it’s not going well. I also can’t imagine how much JB woild potentially hover if it was one of his guys.

We need a complete clean slate. Hart is the only guy I’d be OK with who has SU ties

I will have an open mind if hired and hope he succeeds but it's an uninspiring hire, doesn't move the needle nationally.

If Red or Gerry goes and wins games at a smaller school they are first in line to replace JB's replacement.

We need a change. The next coach probably isn't getting a much longer leash than either of them would unless we really break open the bank.

Look at Baylor and Gonzaga the last decade.

Those 2 were part of winning cultures and environments. I am sure they both learned a ton from Scott Drew and Mark Few about building a program.

Look what our assistants have been a part of, especially lately. I am not sure how much say they have, but it’s not going well. I also can’t imagine how much JB woild potentially hover if it was one of his guys.

We need a complete clean slate. Hart is the only guy I’d be OK with who has SU ties
I completely agree. It needs to be an open nation wide search. Best candidate gets the job. I don’t care where you’re from or where you’ve spent your career.
I want to recruit the entire USA/International so having a northeast guy wouldn’t matter.

Jeff Capel SU Coach?

Why not? He is a current example of how the modern recruiting game is played.
Haha I'm sure everyone would be thrilled with a coach who is 213-179 over his career and ran out of town in Oklahoma. He would be a step backwards.

Hard to imagine the university adminstration would ever go for a recently scandal-scarred guy like Sean Miller or Pitino or Will Wade.
Seems inappropriate to put them in any discussion.

Just a thought! How about Becky Hammon as the next coach? That would shock the college basketball world. It would give SU headlines all across the country. Popovich raves about her.

We should grab the best coach possible, and that is likely outside the program. We really should get tons of interest from really good candidates that have head coaching experience. Syracuse is a high profile program, perennial basketball school with a proud tradition, great facilities, and tons of rabid fans. And we are a program that has been underachieving for a while now. How is Syracuse not a great gig for somebody coming in? your replacing a hall of famer who has our W/L record in a bad place at the moment and most fans want a change to happen. Not to mention at this point there is a core of young talent on the roster. You won't be able to retain it all but we should get a good core to stay. I appreciate what Jim had done but I hope John talks with him soon and this change gets done. Its his time to move on. And this is Syracuses's decision, no matter what Jim says. We've just defaulted to letting him thinking it is his decision.

Well think about it from their perspective, why would young successful P5 coaches like Otzelberger and Tang leave for what can only be considered as a rebuilding program.

Because of the upside. Nobody "owns" the ACC right now; which is still a league with a great legacy in hoops. We have the biggest arena in college basketball. Traditionally, we make around the most money as a program. We have a large and devoted fan base. Unlike football, we are in a hotbed of basketball talent.

I do not want a stopgap. Then in another few years we are wondering when they will retire. The recruits have to wonder how long they’ll play for said coach. The negative recruiting against us. It’s the same scenario all over again.

Whoever the next guy is needs to be hired with the long term in mind. Give him a solid chance.

Tons of names to choose from and tons of guys would be interested.

A stop gap might be the only way to give a long-term guy a chance.

We should grab the best coach possible, and that is likely outside the program. We really should get tons of interest from really good candidates that have head coaching experience. Syracuse is a high profile program, perennial basketball school with a proud tradition, great facilities, and tons of rabid fans. And we are a program that has been underachieving for a while now. How is Syracuse not a great gig for somebody coming in? your replacing a hall of famer who has our W/L record in a bad place at the moment and most fans want a change to happen. Not to mention at this point there is a core of young talent on the roster. You won't be able to retain it all but we should get a good core to stay. I appreciate what Jim had done but I hope John talks with him soon and this change gets done. Its his time to move on. And this is Syracuses's decision, no matter what Jim says. We've just defaulted to letting him thinking it is his decision.
And regarding a coaching change and retaining the talent, even if we lose some talent we should be able to bring in a high profile type of coach who kids want to play for. With the transfer portal now, replacing departures should be fairly easy in this case if you ask me.

A stop gap might be the only way to give a long-term guy a chance.
I don’t think we are that bad off. We have a huge national brand. We haven’t completely bottomed out yet.

I believe the next coach has a great opportunity to turn everything around quickly. We can be back in the top 25 discussion within a year.

Of course this all depends on when JB decides to leave. He could dig us a deeper hole that takes a while to get out of and may need a proven stop gap.

Just a thought! How about Becky Hammon as the next coach? That would shock the college basketball world. It would give SU headlines all across the country. Popovich raves about her.
He did but when the was out he tapped Tim Duncan to be acting coach why?

I haven't heard this name thrown out much, or at all, but what about Greg McDermott at Creighton? He's only 58 and has had a lot of success at Creighton. He's a midwest guy, and Omaha Nebraska is a real nice place to live, etc. but Creighton basketball isn't Syracuse University in stature, in anyway, shape or form. His salary at Creighton apparently is only about 1.4 mil, so we can easily double that, etc. if need be. Anyways, just a thought as we are throwing some darts.

Edit: And, as far as Sean Miller is concerned, hearing from a few of my relatives back in Ohio that he's at the top of their list as Holtman is most likely gone/fired after this year.

Last edited:
As for the next coaching hire to be a stop gap, why not? Guys like JB and K are rare and unique, whoever you hire you cannot assume it to be a long term hire. Recruits are not too concerned with who they will play for 4 years, the good ones only care about a one year stay before they move on to the NBA (in their minds) or the portal if they are not happy. Nothing is long term anymore, each year is another rebuilding process.

As for Red, the concerns would be he is part of what got us in this kind of a sink hole. So that's that. As many have stated JB doesn't consult his assistants during games, why is that? Does he think so little of their opinions and abilities? Like they are not ready for big time? Or he wants to see them coaching nicely during practices before letting them participate in real games? I think JB action to limit their participation limited their opportunities to show what they can or cannot do.

Or may be in JB's mind he know the state of the program is bad and he tries desperately to right the ship before he hands it over but he is failing, and in his mind he is the only one able to right the ship, again speaks to how he thinks of his assistants..."they are not ready".

I have this horrible fear of this run of coaches the equivalent of Grob Marrone Shafer Babers. Then before you know it the sportscasters of the future will say things like “first tournament appearance in 27 years!!!” when we finally make one.

I think hes in the runner up pool if we get turned down by the correct candidates (Musselman Oates Underwood.)

I also think hes too old you don't move on from your 78 year old and hire someone that has come across as old since the 90s.
Why would we want that scumbag Underwood? He can’t even coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom