Jordan Tucker Derail Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Jordan Tucker Derail Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an fyi on one of your favorite recruits in years, Carey can be just as effective off the ball as a slasher than he is as the lead point guard and plays just as much off the ball right now than he does on for the most part. And Frank Howard has never been a point guard in his life until he came here and we tried/are trying to make him one so he would be more than capable of sliding off the ball as well.

I know. I have said Jalen could play off the ball before, many times. Pointless argument. Frank sucks, HW is a project who won't contribute much in year one. I have the talking points down. We definitely never had any freshmen surprise before. No kids have taken a leap in their junior year. We're all repeating ourselves. We shall see, but I'm not intelligent so we're screwed.

I'm comfortable with the foundation. Next year isn't gonna be great. We could add Ayala, Tucker, and 5th year guy and it just isn't happening. I feel like I'm repeating myself, but HW will be good for us after some experience. Adding Waters wastes a 2018 scholarship when we have the potential to be great.

We had the potential to be great next year with a big class of 2017, too, but it didn't quite come together.

The goal / objective of recruiting every year should be to recruit over the players you have on the roster. Add the best talent you can, period, and then let things sort themselves out in practice. Most of the time, you wouldn't pass on bird in the hand five-star recruits hoping to land the one in the bush from next year's class. Especially when we haven't had much success attracting top talent of late.

We had the potential to be great next year with a big class of 2017, too, but it didn't quite come together.
Agreed. For everyone suggesting that the 2018 class could be special, they should take a stroll back through the 2017 class posts circa 2015-16. One thing for sure that thus far is a bit different is that SU has more offers out to 2018 kids than they did 2017 kids with fewer (potential and realized) openings.

No one has ever made a leap in college after struggling for a couple years.
Strawman. I didn't say that no one could improve in college. If you want to refute my point, argue that Frank Howard is going to be great this year because of X, Y, and Z.

Rakeem Christmas was a McD AA who was playing his position, blocking 2 shots a game and shooting 53% from the floor in conference his sophomore year. Rak always had visible talent, but his real issue was staying out of foul trouble and learning the zone. He got better and the big difference was in his senior year was that they ran the offense through him and he was taking 13 shots a game. Frank had a ~1:1 assist to TO ratio and was shooting 37% from the floor in conference last season playing limited minutes because he lost playing time to a 5'7" PG. That's not good and he has a lot of work to do, both physically and mentally, to contribute.

Where are these 5 stars that we didn't try to get? I'm confused. Waters? He isn't 5 stars, and no one wants him but WKU. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah, Rak had visible talent and was a McDonald's AA. Everyone complained about him for three years. Frank has visible talent too. His assists numbers in his time were pretty good. Yeah, yeah. It was against the cupcakes.

I'll sit back, relax, and enjoy another winning season.

So much worry about how many stars these kids have.

Carry on.

Where are these 5 stars that we didn't try to get? I'm confused. Waters? He isn't 5 stars, and no one wants him but WKU. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah, Rak had visible talent and was a McDonald's AA. Everyone complained about him for three years. Frank has visible talent too. His assists numbers in his time were pretty good. Yeah, yeah. It was against the cupcakes.

Carry on.
No people complained about the player development. Rak wasn't close to the problem Frank Howard has eve been.
Also we had depth where Rak could be subbed out.
We have no depth with Frank Howard.
FH can't create for others. His shooting is sporadic and what he did off the court pisses me off he is still here. He is here because we have no one else.
Next year without Tucker and another guard is going to suck.

Carry on.

Trevon Duval. Mohammed Bamba. Lonnie Walker. Shall I go on? Yes, it seems that you are confused -- because the point I'm making is about a lot more than just Waters specifically.

You don't avoid recruiting a highly rated player and shrug your shoulders, projecting that the incumbents on your roster should be "good enough." And it isn't smart to take yourself out of contention for highly rated players unnecessarily because you're semi-optimistic that you'll be able to land somebody else, and failing that make up for it in the next class.

Consider how things are already off on the wrong foot for a couple of prospects in the class of 2018 -- two weeks ago, everybody was completely gaga over Jahvon Quinnerly as the MUST GET recruit at PG. Then after he let on that he wasn't that interested in us, the attention shifted to Carey ["forget Quinnerly, THIS is the guy we absolutely have to land..."]. Now it seems like we might not be on nearly as solid footing with Carey as we'd hoped. THAT'S why you don't pocket veto adding high caliber talent hoping to catch lightning in a bottle down the road.

Last edited:
Not only will he get that pinata, he will get Mexico to pay for it, too!!! Make SU great again!!!

K sings God Bless America during every inning but the seventh inning stretch during baseball games

Not only will he get that pinata, he will get Mexico to pay for it, too!!! Make SU great again!!!
Understand the statement, but don't imply by it that JB wants anything to do with The Donald.

Oh love it. Not a Less than Zero fan, minus the soundtrack and Spader. And Gertz. And Downey. Ok I just hated AM in it

If they gave out an award for worst actor of all time, I'm not sure who would win it Robert Downey Jr or Nicholas Cage, it would be a tough call.

If they gave out an award for worst actor of all time, I'm not sure who would win it Robert Downey Jr or Nicholas Cage, it would be a tough call.

Throw in David Caruso and it would be the tough call of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors