Josh Hough to DL | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Hough to DL

Fear not, BMI is not an accurate indicator of health. It's just a height/weight measure with no allowances for body type. You can actually be 8% body fat and be classified as obese according to BMI. Myles Garrett is obese, yeah right.
BMI is most important when weight is added quickly. Too high a BMI indicates more fat and less muscle. Just an indicator and not the be all end all for a player.

With elite athletes BMI is meaningless. With the general population it's very uselfull as so many studies show connection between it and various comorbidities. It's also an easy number to use when explaining things to patients that are clueless about most health and wellness metrics.

Best 3 man front nose ever here was Kevin Mitchell, who was a quick twitch 250 (maybe). I get it , the kid was a unicorn, NFL LB.

I’d add low pad level and ability to play with leverage to your attributes. ...

With this defense I think finding an impact rover is more important than an alpha interior DL

I agree about leverage and playing low. That's why you often see wrestlers make great linemen.

With elite athletes BMI is meaningless. With the general population it's very uselfull as so many studies show connection between it and various comorbidities. It's also an easy number to use when explaining things to patients that are clueless about most health and wellness metrics.
Okay if you are saying those athletes never get too fat.

Okay if you are saying those athletes never get too fat.
It was a generalized statement. There is certainly a segment that have unhealthy bodyfat percentages: some football lineman, sumo wrestlers, a few baseball players. By and large, elite athletes that have high BMIs do so because of high muscle mass.

Which is more important: BMI or body fat %. Even when I was thin, my BMI was over the ideal, due in large part to heavily muscled legs.

Which is more important: BMI or body fat %. Even when I was thin, my BMI was over the ideal, due in large part to heavily muscled legs.
Body fat. Muscle is good. It's why BMI should be taken with a grain of salt. You have to look at body composition. A flabby 27 is bad. A built 28 is good, assuming it's healthy habits that got you to the 28 and not PEDs.

Of course, if you're simply generically gifted with regards to body composition, it doesn't exempt you from practicing healthy habits.

It was a generalized statement. There is certainly a segment that have unhealthy bodyfat percentages: some football lineman, sumo wrestlers, a few baseball players. By and large, elite athletes that have high BMIs do so because of high muscle mass.
Oh really, but thats not what you said, and I was talking about a young guy who was adding weight quickly, and just maybe some of that might not be good weight, so I guess BMI would apply in that case. It is all about context.

Hopefully the Dartmouth kid is a Taron Johnson clone or the Louisville or Rutty guys are a third box safety. Maybe the legacy kids adapt, overcome, and prevail. At least White has options.
Let’s talk about the Syracuse secondary a bit then.

We know G Williams and D Chestnut are going to be the starters at CB. I am thnking I Johnson will be the 3rd CB and get a lot of PT.

I think J Carter will start at the boundary safety position, backed up by Eric Coley.

I think the free safety position will be a real battle between A Clark, J Simmons and R Hanna.

And I think the roverback position will end up being a battle between J Barron and L Oliver.

I am most confident on Carter starting. I thought he was the most solid safety we had last season.

But all the safeties struggled last year. There were a lot of missed assignments, a lot of missed tackles and a lot of plays where our safeties did not look physically ready to play at this level.

I think our guys here will be a lot stronger and a lot more experienced this season. I hope to see major improvement. If that happens. Our defense is going to be fun to watch.

Thoughts? Do I have the guys in the right places?

We know G Williams and D Chestnut are going to be the starters at CB. I am thnking I Johnson will be the 3rd CB and get a lot of PT.

I think J Carter will start at the boundary safety position, backed up by Eric Coley.

I think the free safety position will be a real battle between A Clark, J Simmons and R Hanna.

And I think the roverback position will end up being a battle between J Barron and L Oliver.

I am most confident on Carter starting. I thought he was the most solid safety we had last season.

But all the safeties struggled last year. There were a lot of missed assignments, a lot of missed tackles and a lot of plays where our safeties did not look physically ready to play at this level.

I think our guys here will be a lot stronger and a lot more experienced this season. I hope to see major improvement. If that happens. Our defense is going to be fun to watch.

I think you do. Safety is going to be one of the more intriguing battles in camp. If healthy I see Clark playing FS.

Oh really, but thats not what you said, and I was talking about a young guy who was adding weight quickly, and just maybe some of that might not be good weight, so I guess BMI would apply in that case. It is all about context.
I'm sorry. From now on I will attempt to remove any need for common sense interpretation of things that I say by being as specific and detailed as possible.

I'll say this. I'm not worried the least bit about Hough's BMI at this point in his life even with how quickly he has added weight. With the amount of cardiorespiratory conditioning these guys are doing along with strengthening, I'm confident he is quite healthy, the only caveat being if he had some unknown underlying health condition. He is not adding weight due to a sedentary life style.

Of course, if you're simply generically gifted with regards to body composition, it doesn't exempt you from practicing healthy habits.
It has so far:) kind of drives my wife nuts. As I say, I'm in great shape for a guy in my condition. ( Actually just crushed my stress test, for which I am thankful.)

It has so far:) kind of drives my wife nuts. As I say, I'm in great shape for a guy in my condition. ( Actually just crushed my stress test, for which I am thankful.)
Yeah, I exercise regularly and eat pretty well and my blood pressure is borderline with high cholesterol (low HDL) and triglycerides. People are surprised when I tell them. My wife isn't sedentary but doesn't exercise as much as me or watch her diet as closely, outside of caloric intake, and she has perfect cardio numbers. Sometimes genetics rule.

I think you're good...
I don't want to see Coley or Barron on the field unless we're up 28 with 3 minutes left
OR on special teams.
And yeah...Elmore played DTackle a few years back and wasn't bad. We could do worse...

Yeah, I exercise regularly and eat pretty well and my blood pressure is borderline with high cholesterol (low HDL) and triglycerides. People are surprised when I tell them. My wife isn't sedentary but doesn't exercise as much as me or watch her diet as closely, outside of caloric intake, and she has perfect cardio numbers. Sometimes genetics rule.
I tell my wife I don't need a physical because my Bp is always good. (110/70. Or with 10 either way.) :) Makes her a little crazy

So, Josh Hough.
I know he was restricted on some of his activity for at least part of spring ball, maybe all…I don’t know.
But, does anybody have any info as to how he has looked if he was able to participate, or how he’s doing with conditioning (strength and stamina)?
Any insight at all? Or, is this why the discussion has turned to a BMI debate and reflections on the health metrics of certain posters?

Ive posted about my 89 year old father on this site. Steak eggs butter only cream in his coffee, ice cream and manhattans. He still climbs, rows Sails, mows his lawn and splits firewood. Weighs 5 pounds more than his Senior year at SU.
His dad died at 99 and his mom at 106. Genetics matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom