Josh Hough to DL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Josh Hough to DL

Ive posted about my 89 year old father on this site. Steak eggs butter only cream in his coffee, ice cream and manhattans. He still climbs, rows Sails, mows his lawn and splits firewood. Weighs 5 pounds more than his Senior year at SU.
His dad died at 99 and his mom at 106. Genetics matter.
In the documentary Older than Ireland one of the centenarians they interviewed said the secret to her longevity was that she never ate vegetables. Then she took a drag on her cigarette.

Ive posted about my 89 year old father on this site. Steak eggs butter only cream in his coffee, ice cream and manhattans. He still climbs, rows Sails, mows his lawn and splits firewood. Weighs 5 pounds more than his Senior year at SU.
For sure. Of course, never stopping with all those activities helps too.

My doctor when I lived in NY said every male in his family had a heart attack in his 50's. He was determined to not let that happen to him, so he runs 5 miles most days, weight trains, stays on top of his diet, and is knowledgeable about the latest supplement data. So far he's doing well. He's approaching 70 with no heart attack. There's a lot of factors. Some you can't control. Others you can.

I tell my wife I don't need a physical because my Bp is always good. (110/70. Or with 10 either way.) :) Makes her a little crazy
I hate you.

Get a physical though. My first one as an adult (at 42) identified an elevated level of blood calcium leading to more blood work that identified elevated parathyroid hormone. Turned out one of my parathyroid glands was hyperactive because it had a tumor and needed to come out. No cancer or anything but the elevated calcium could have had long term consequences if not fixed.

My question about the possibility of Elmore as a DL was to address the depth issue. He may or may not be better than Lockett, Darton, Hough or Fuentes, but he is another rotational piece.

If there only the above 4 and maybe Bassette (the frosh) regularly playing, the 300 lb OL they will face play after play week by week has to wear them down.

Could Elmore start, who knows? But could he represent a fresh replacement when needed, maybe so.

Some are concerned about weight but its really about how strong and explosive they are. I think they will be.
Roster weights at cuse.com are not updated enough. Mikel Jones is a good example. He's listed on the football roster at 6' 1" 225.

During an interview this spring he told the reporter he was then 232. If he's looking at the NFL the average HT&WT weight of a LB is 6'2" 245. So, he can afford to add 10 lbs more of muscle as long as he keeps his speed and strength.

He is definitely fortunate to have the genes he does. Most people eating steak, (eggs are not the villans they were supposed to be), but butter, cream, ice cream, manhattans - most people would have very high CHL levels ingesting those foods and be candidates for a heart event. Lucky man.

I had a rich uncle who was vice president of Shell Oil. Retired at 55 and played golf. He had, with his wife, a martini before and after dinner every day. Lived to be 100. They brought them to him at the nursing home every day - he was there due to hearing loss.

My aunt 103. Her sister, my mother 99. Genetics do matter, a lot, if your fortunate to have those great genes.

Last edited:
I hate you.

Get a physical though. My first one as an adult (at 42) identified an elevated level of blood calcium leading to more blood work that identified elevated parathyroid hormone. Turned out one of my parathyroid glands was hyperactive because it had a tumor and needed to come out. No cancer or anything but the elevated calcium could have had long term consequences if not fixed.
Yup. I keep track. Hypothyroidism and Pernicious Anemia are relatively recent "discoveries" As I said, just crushed a stress test, and am 1/2 way to my weight loss goal.
Glad it turned out well for you.
For me, the universe and I have an agreement, but I have to do my part.
As Steven Wright said: I plan to live forever. I'm doing pretty well so far.

I tell my wife I don't need a physical because my Bp is always good. (110/70. Or with 10 either way.) :) Makes her a little crazy
Capt. Just missed your post above but this is for every man on this board.

Without a physical how do you know your BP is 110 /70.

Do you know what your CHL is HDL, LDL, sugar. prostate PSA readings. That's a big one. 1 in 3 men will get prostate cancer in their lives. I get a physical every 6 months. My readings are all good, 110 /70 low LDL, high HDL.

Six years ago my PSA, (Prostate Specific Antigens), began to climb and I decided rather than to chance cancer to have it removed. All the markers pointed that way and the top surgeon who performs them robotically at Hartford Hospital in CT did the op. No probelms since though they check the levels at every physical - it's included in the fasting blood work. Just an alert and trying to be helpful.

I am almost at my pre - football weight of 170 recently lost 20. Feels much better to be back where I was.

Did not mean to scare anyone here just informative.

Steven is great.

Last edited:
Roster weights at cuse.com are not updated enough. Mikel Jones is a good example. He's listed on the football roster at 6' 1" 225.

During an interview this spring he told the reporter he was then 232. If he's looking at the NFL the average HT&WT weight of a LB is 6'2" 245. So, he can afford to add 10 lbs more of muscle as long as he keeps his speed and strength.
I agree but I was referring to the D line in that response. People are obsessed with weight.

I agree but I was referring to the D line in that response. People are obsessed with weight.
Agreed people are obsessed. This may be a bad example but you can't play the LB position at 6' 180, IMO - unless you are playing at a DIII level or HS.

Let’s talk about the Syracuse secondary a bit then.

We know G Williams and D Chestnut are going to be the starters at CB. I am thnking I Johnson will be the 3rd CB and get a lot of PT.

I think J Carter will start at the boundary safety position, backed up by Eric Coley.

I think the free safety position will be a real battle between A Clark, J Simmons and R Hanna.

And I think the roverback position will end up being a battle between J Barron and L Oliver.

I am most confident on Carter starting. I thought he was the most solid safety we had last season.

But all the safeties struggled last year. There were a lot of missed assignments, a lot of missed tackles and a lot of plays where our safeties did not look physically ready to play at this level.

I think our guys here will be a lot stronger and a lot more experienced this season. I hope to see major improvement. If that happens. Our defense is going to be fun to watch.

Thoughts? Do I have the guys in the right places?
looks right to me

Capt. Just missed your post above but this is for every man on this board.

Without a physical how do you know your BP is 110 /70.

Do you know what your CHL is HDL, LDL, sugar. prostate PSA readings. That's a big one. 1 in 3 men will get prostate cancer in their lives. I get a physical every 6 months. My readings are all good, 110 /70 low LDL, high HDL.

Six years ago my PSA, (Prostate Specific Antigens), began to climb and I decided rather than to chance cancer to have it removed. All the markers pointed that way and the top surgeon who performs them robotically at Hartford Hospital in CT did the op. No probelms since though they check the levels at every physical - it's included in the fasting blood work. Just an alert and trying to be helpful.

I am almost at my pre - football weight of 170 recently lost 20. Feels much better to be back where I was.

Did not mean to scare anyone here just informative.

Steven is great.
I get blood work every 6 months (pernicious anemia) and my "fat doctor" (I am doing medically supervised weight loss) takes my BP and pulse every 2 weeks at check in. And does any other blood work necessary

My question about the possibility of Elmore as a DL was to address the depth issue. He may or may not be better than Lockett, Darton, Hough or Fuentes, but he is another rotational piece.

If there only the above 4 and maybe Bassette (the frosh) regularly playing, the 300 lb OL they will face play after play week by week has to wear them down.

Could Elmore start, who knows? But could he represent a fresh replacement when needed, maybe so.
What depth issue? They are 4 deep at one position. Where will he be needed? Elmore doesnt have the ability to stop 300 pounders from wearing down the D line.

Try to sweat a little every day to cleanse the system. Other than that, it’s mostly genetics.

What depth issue? They are 4 deep at one position. Where will he be needed? Elmore doesnt have the ability to stop 300 pounders from wearing down the D line.
Do we play around with personnel groupings along the line? I know from what you've said previously that the three down lineman in the 3-3-5 isn't quite the same as a traditional 3-4. But do we sometimes play one our tackles at end if we need a bit more size or are we pretty strict with who is at tackle and who is at end?

Do we play around with personnel groupings along the line? I know from what you've said previously that the three down lineman in the 3-3-5 isn't quite the same as a traditional 3-4. But do we sometimes play one our tackles at end if we need a bit more size or are we pretty strict with who is at tackle and who is at end?
I dont think Ive ever seen our NT play outside the tackles.

Yup. I keep track. Hypothyroidism and Pernicious Anemia are relatively recent "discoveries" As I said, just crushed a stress test, and am 1/2 way to my weight loss goal.
Glad it turned out well for you.
For me, the universe and I have an agreement, but I have to do my part.
As Steven Wright said: I plan to live forever. I'm doing pretty well so far.
Good old B-12 for those active, new red blood cells.
Thanks it turns out well for most with the doc in CT. His name is Joseph Wagner @ Hartford Hospital and is the guru of robotic prostate ops and knowledge about everything prostate.

I feel like sometimes individuals get too defensive and take comments as digs towards their loved ones. Never once have I seen a derogatory comment here about Josh. Everyone is excited about his potential...regardless of position.

I feel like sometimes individuals get too defensive and take comments as digs towards their loved ones. Never once have I seen a derogatory comment here about Josh. Everyone is excited about his potential...regardless of position.
This is true. Rooting for other players on the team. Some parents easily take offense to that. That’s why it’s not good for them to come on these sites.

I wish him the best on this journey.

The mental toll injuries take on these young men is often misunderstood and usually under appreciated.

What MH resources are at SU for the student athletes?
I know one of the prime areas of focus early on for SUAD John Wildhack was improving support for athletes dealing with mental health issues. I think we have a really good support system in place these days.

This is a major issue for all college students. Athletes even more so.

Just dealing with living on your own and being totally responsible for your schedule and assignments is a big deal.

Add in playing a sport like football, which is basically a full time job.

Then add in suffering a devastating injury. You are young, full of confidence and feeling invincible and then something like this happens.

I am amazed how many college athletes handle all the pressure and adversity so well. Josh is a personal favorite of so many on the board. I am sure we all wish him well and are hoping for him to overcome early adversity and show us all the great player he can become.

Get well soon Josh. We are all rooting for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom